7 Month Old Having Sleep Issues

Hi Moms! I know there are a lot of questions about sleep, but I'd like to add mine to the list. My daughter is 7 months old and having sleep issues. From months 3-5 she was sleeping through the night (10 hrs. straight) then she got an ear infection and the past 2 months have been horrible. She wakes up every 2-3 hours and needs me to rock/nurse her back to sleep. My husband helps some times, but he has to work so I usually get up 3-4 times a night with her. It's like she's a newborn all over again! I need help...I just feel so sleep deprived and I know she's not getting enough sleep either. I realize the problem is she can't put herself back to sleep anymore. We have tried to not pick her up at night and just console her in her crib, but that has only worked once. I have always wanted to stay away from letting her "cry it out" but I am desperate now! A friend reccomended the Ferber method. I ordered his book and am waiting to get it. Her naps have changed too. She used to sleep 2-3 hours for naps...now they are no longer than 45 min. She takes 3 naps a day...each around 45 min. Sometimes I can rock her back to sleep and she'll sleep longer, but not usually. I know she's still tired though, she acts cranky. I've read that babies her age should be taking 2-3 naps, each 2 hours long. Here are my questions: Have any of you experienced this kind of regression/sleep behaviors with your 7 month old? Has anyone had great success or failure with the Ferber method? Should I be concerned that she's not napping long enough or is this typical? I realize that every baby is different, but any advice or encouragement would be great. Thanks in advance for your wonderful responses!

I don't think the Ferber method is a very kind way to sleep train, but I know it works for a lot of people. I prefer The Baby Whiperer or No-Cry Sleep Solution.

I am not a fan of the Ferber method myself. You know there is an issue going on so why not address that instead? Could she be teething? That can be the catalyst for ear problems and can cause loss of sleep. Maybe try treating the pain issue and she'll sleep rather than letting her cry in pain until she goes to sleep.

My daughter did something very similar around 8 months. It just wasn't worth my health and sanity to keep getting up because it didn't stop after a few days or a couple of weeks, crying it out or not. More food didn't help, and if she was in pain, nothing helped. We made the decision to bring her into our bed at that point, and that was the end of long sleepless nights. Yes, she still sleeps with us at 2 1/2, but I have faith that she'll be in her own bed by the time she goes to first grade, and that's fine with me. (I waited 16 years for her, I don't mind spending lots of time with her!)

You may not be able to co-sleep, and may not want to. That's an individual decision. Keep trying - this too shall pass ... some day.

At 7 or 8 or even 9 months, their sleep habits usually change. I would suggest reducing the number of naps to 2 and she will probably sleep longer during nap times. With my daughter, unless she had a lot of interaction before naptime (to wear her out), she wouldn't sleep very long, either. When she started crawling, jumping in the Johnny Jump Up, etc., she did much better - even fell asleep while eating or playing.

Ferber method worked w/us initially and then my son regressed. I highly recommend the book: Healthy sleep habits, happy child by Dr. Mark Weissbluth. It's a lot better than the Ferber book (at least I think so). Your daughter might still feel badly. And it takes a long time for antibiotics to get out of her system. Maybe that's why she is still waking up at night. My son has sleep prbls anytime he is sick and some time afterwards until he is completely healthy again.

http://www.ezzo.info/
http://www.fresnofamily.com/ap/ezzo.htm

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp

http://www.phdinparenting.com/2008/07/05/no-cry-it-out/

You could try reading "The no cry sleep solution" or "Happiest Baby on the Block". Both would be more towards your original desires of not wanting to let her cry it out. Cry it out is NOT the only way!! ::Hugs::

S.,

She may be going through a growth spurt. You can look them up on the internet. They have a list of when babies usually go through growth spurts but I have found that it just happens when it happens. My daughter was four 1/2 months old and she did the same thing...started taking horrible naps sometimes 30 min long and would not sleep through the night..woke up 3-5 times. The only good thing is it will pass. Growth spurts are supposed to only last for like three days but hers lasted almost a week.

Hi, S.,
I know how hard it can be to have a child sleeping through the night and then start regressing. My first son did this and we did have to finally use the Ferber method with him. It was still hard. After about 1 week of him crying it out he started sleeping all night again. With our second son with used the the book "On Becoming Babywise" and he has slept 100% better than his brother and never had that regression. I highly recommend this book. One of the main ideas of the book is to let your child fall asleep on their own, not by rocking or nursing, because when they wake up during the night they will want whatever it took to get them to sleep again.
I also think that by 7 months she maybe ready to go to just 2 naps a day. All kids are different, but by about 1 year old my first son only took one 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon. Good luck with your little angel! I feel for you!

my 9 month old never i mean never slept!! i recently got the book "healthy sleep habits, happy baby", the last 4 nights 7:30 until 6am!!! oh and now she naps during the day too. it is not as drastic as ferber, there is still crying it out but it has a gentler approach. good luck

Sleep patterns come and go with age. They go from needing 16 hours of sleep a day to 8 hours and back up to 12 hours. I would reduce the time of the naps during the day. My children had a hard time getting to sleep when they were around 1 and 2. I would play tag or "lion chases the mouse" around the house for like 15-30min to wear them out before bed. When their little faces were red and they started to slow down a bit, I would rush them to bed. Sometimes I would chase them to the bedroom, tickle them a bit and then sit down to read a short story. By the time they relaxed, they were already in bed, lights were dimmed and they fell out a bit easier.

You might also try putting on some "white noise" in the bedroom. This might be a CD of calming waves and sea sounds, reggae background music playing softly, or a classical CD such as Bach or Beethoven playing softly. The sound helps drown out other sounds in the house, footsteps, motor of the fridge or heater running, etc. If that doesn't work, you might try putting a radio station set to static.

1 / 3