7 Month Old-rash on Body Question

My son has light red bumps spreading on his body, it started out like rough dry skin and now they are slightly red and have spread to his back neck knees etc. He doesn't seem bothered by it. during his 6 month appt. the doctor noticed bumpy skin like this and said that means he has a virus but it will go away, this time around I can't tell if it is the same thing just a little bit worse. Has anyone had this experience, and does anyone know what this might be?? What does a food allergy rash look like, now that I think about it??

Turns out he has a mild case of eczema, I began using Vaseline Moisture intensive care lotion and it has cleared up. Thanks for everyone's informative responses.

Hi L.
Sounds like it could be a food allergy- most food allergies first appear on the face area- and looks like a red rosey rash- but I would suspect it is from the detergents you are using for laundry of his cloths and bed sheets etc- there are chemicals in all detergents bought at the store and these chemicals leave a residue in the fabric- no matter how many times they are rinsed. PM me and I can send yu to a link that has some products that are eco friendly and chemical free-with other lotions etc that will help his skin. I am not trying to sell any products, just letting you know of the products I use in my home that have helped us with rashes and other issues.
good luck
blessings

My daughter had a rash on her face like that. Small red bumps, no good explanation from the doc. Found out she is allergic to dairy. We thought she had grown out of it since she was no longer throwing up when she had something with dairy in it, so we were letting her have it in small quantities. I went to the health food store to get some treatment for her rash and they asked me if she was allergic to dairy. I cut back out the dairy and her rash cleared up in a week or so.

The health food store in New Braunfels is a GREAT source for issues like these. They have all kinds of books that describe symptoms and healthy alternative treatments. Plus their staff is very knowledgeable.

Hi L.
good luck
blessings

my son had the same thing, turned out to be an allergy to strawberries. you need to document what he's been eating and discuss with your doctor. i did not know that strawberries is one of the most common food allergies out there.

best of luck,

Hey L.,

My daughter who is 22 months has a dairy allergy. It started when she was born and we noticed it at about 2 months old. She would have tiny little bumps on her face and chest/abdomen area. I was breastfeeding at the time and so I cut out the dairy products and believe me you won't believe how much dairy is in the things we eat. After about 3 weeks her face and skin cleared up. It takes two weeks for the dairy to clear your body. She is now on a dairy free diet. When we have "tested" (we give her a small dose of milk product or someone else who doesn't know she has the sensitivity does by accident) her to see if the sensitivity is gone the rash comes back. My son who is 4 1/2 years old had the same thing, however he was our first and we didn't know about the dairy allergy, he had "eczema" for the first 2 1/2 years of his life. His was at the base of his neck and upper back area. We tried creams but it didn't resolve and then when he was about 3 years old it was gone. What I have read is that this dairy sensitivity usually resolves by age 3. Hope this helps.

H.

our one yr old had a rash on his tummy. it was followed by a fever. i looked on line and took him in. our pedi also said it was a virus and would go away. after 3-4 weeks it has. they have lots of pictures online that you can look at images and rule out anything serious. give it a bit more time. i had food allergies as a child and the rash was blotchy and flat not pin dots, like my sons. i put lotion on our son he was fine too. God bless.

My son has a viral rash still to this day - it is lessening, but he's still got bumps here and there. Does not sound anything like what you describe, tho. My son has molluscum cantgiosum: "Molluscum contagiosum (MC) is a skin rash caused by a virus that was first described in 1817. The virus is a member of the Poxvirus family. It is common worldwide and accounts for about 1% of all skin disorders in the United States. It primarily affects children (boys more often than girls) and young adults. The incidence of molluscum contagiosum is increasing." It sounds worse than it is.

I don't think this is what your son has, but I thought I would share with you that a virus can cause a rash.

I have taken my son several times to a dermatologist. It reassures me to know what it is . . .

A.

Viral rashes are not at all uncommon. My daughter has had several following colds or ear infections. Hers are normally flat, but has developed some "chicken skin" on her back which I was told (twice) is normal.

You should definitely pay attention to diet and potential allergies, as well.

http://www.baby-medical-questions-and-answers.com/viral-s...

I would definitely insist that your doctor do a food allergy test (they can do a blood test). Food allergies can appear in so many different ways. Our son was diagnosed at 9 months old (allergic to wheat, dairy, eggs, and nuts...most of which I was eating so was expressed via my breast milk to him). We had gone through the ringer trying to pinpoint why he had dry, red, bumpy skin. His was so bad that even with lotion to control the eczema symptoms he was already scratching which caused scabby, oozing spots all on his legs and hands. I would definitely get it checked out...the worst that can happen is you get a negative result and you weeded out a possibility of what it is that is causing symptoms.

Good luck. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions!

P.S. We found a cream/lotion that our pediatric allergist told us about called CeraVae (only sold at Walgreens) and for dry skin that stuff is wonderful! We tried Eucerin, Aquaphor, and even a few prescription strength things that did nothing to for his dry skin. This stuff (I prefer the cream) works wonders being applied 2 times a day!

1 / 3