7 Mo. Old Waking up Same Time Every Night, Cries for Almost an Hour???

The last 2 weeks my almost 7 mo. old has been waking up at 3-3:30 am every night, I've let her cry it out for almost an hour, then I cave and give her a bottle. I know I shouldn't but not sure what to do. She was sleeping thru the night prior. HELP !! S.

So last night my daughter ate just about 3 little bowls of oatmeal before bed and drink almost 8 oz. of formula. She slept all night until 6 a.m. This could be a coincidence, however, I'll take it!! We will see how tonight goes. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

She's probably teething. That seems to be the only thing that waked my dd up in the middle of the night. When she wakes up I would give her some tylenol or something and maybe some teething tablets or numbing gel. Comfort her and try to rock her back to sleep. If she needs a bottle to get back to sleep I think that is fine. She is probably in pain and that is why she is waking up...please don't let her cry.

There is nothing wrong with meeting your daughter's needs. There is the crazy idea out there that once your child sleeps through the night, they should sleep through the night forever. Babies just don't work like that. Their sleeping patterns continuously shift based on how they feel, growth spurts, illness, teething, how much they had to eat, learning something huge developmentally like pulling up or walking. Whatever your baby is doing, don't get to upset by or attached to it. It's going to change. All you can do as a parent is meet your daughter's need. We'll sleep when they're in college. Maybe.

An hour is a LONG time. Realize, that when people talk about "crying it out", they usually are talking about letting them cry it out for about 15-40 minutes. When I finally realized that, it made me mad since my son would never cry himself back to sleep after 15 minutes!

You are not "caving in" by going in after an hour. I would recommend going in after maybe 20-30 minutes to start. Comforting by rubbing back (or similar) and shushing or quitely telling her to go back to sleep once you're in until she goes back down or whatever time you decide is enough (5 min? 10 min? 20?). Don't give a bottle since that's something she won't be able to replicate if you're not there. You want to teach her how to calm herself down if she gets startled. Once she wakes again (or didn't go down to begin with), let her cry for a little longer (25-35 minutes); repeating the pattern until she cries for 40 minutes if she goes that long. After that, just come in and comfort.

It will diminish. Don't give into the fear that she'll get into the "habit" of you coming in to get her back to sleep. It's all about trust. They're realizing that they're a separate being from mama and that's scary. She needs to know that you will be there if she needs you. By waiting for an hour or more, all that proves to her is that you won't be there when she needs you. What's more, I've heard more horror stories about babies' limbs being caught in the crib rails after parents let them CIO than about kids waking every hour so that mama could rock them to sleep.

Check out the No Cry Sleep Solution for more ideas.

She's to young to let her cry it out. They need to be 12 months before you do that. She is probably going through a growth spurt & is hungry.

Your dtr is probably legitimately hungry, or possibly teething, but probably hungry. Babies can wake for hunger reasons until at least 8 mths. Both of my kids did this too. I would give your baby a bottle and she will probably fall right back to sleep until morning. It will probably not last too long.

Hi

First I really don't consider it "caving" when you're taking care of your little one. If she is eating the bottle completely, or almost completely, I woudl think she is waking because she is truly hungry. Maybe because of a growth spurt?

Best of luck - Sleep habits are challenging!

My daughter went through phases similar to this (she's now 18 months). I also didn't want to 'cave' and nurse/bottle in the middle of the night since she had been sleeping well all night, but I usually noticed a pattern with the waking. She would do it whenever something major was going on, such as a growth spurt or teething. It would last for a few days to a week, and I would just give her a little something in the dark and lay her right back down. So it did stop and she went back to sleeping fine. When we know she's teething for sure, we'll often give her a little Motrin right before bed and that will help her get through the night. If she seemed extra hungry I would just give her more food during the day and that would help her get through the night. It'll pass!
Hope that helps,
Jen

My son went through this at about the same age. I figured out that he was very hungry. He was having a growth spurt. Once I realized this, I just got up and fed him quick and he was back to bed. He grew out of it once his growth spurt stopped and preferred to sleep instead.

Hi! hopefully your daughter is just teething or something. Kids do get used to you coming to their rescue, mostly if a treat is involved! Maybe next time just cuddle her and rock her then put her back in bed? Hopefully it is just a phase, and she will be sleeping peacefully once again!

1 / 3