7-Yr-old Son Skin Peeling off All Fingers?

All the skin on my 7-yr-old son's fingers is peeling off. It starts as a spot and then slowly these huge pieces of skin start to come off. Underneath is new, pink skin. He says it doesn't hurt at all. His skin has peeled off all ten fingers/thumbs up to his knuckles and now there is a spot on his palm and one of his pinky toes is losing its skin. Has anyone ever heard of this or know what this is?

Thanks, everyone, for the great responses. I was wondering if it could be a fungus from the shower, because he likes to fill up all these containers and then play with them. He also likes to "clean" the shower walls. Time to clean these old containers out, I am thinking. I have him on probiotics, too, in case it is a yeast overgrowth, because a few people have mentioned that to me. I am going to take him to the doctor this week and see what she says. Let you know.
Thanks again! C

Always good to consult a physician when it comes to medical issues. I hope it is nothing, but I would have him see his doctor just so you don't let something potentially serious go untreated.

My uncle had something similar happen to him and it turned out that he became allergic to oranges. Take him to the doctor and ask for a full allergy test. Good luck.

I agree with S.H. take him to the doctor A.S.A.P. My girlfriends great-nephew just went through something like this. At first they thought it was excema, but there is a disease which was discovered in China or Japan. It's called Kawoski Disease and you can look it up. But if a doctor hasn't run acrossed it, they won't look for it. It causes peeling, plus a few other things. He did turn out to be an allergy, but it was pretty scary and it's starting to be found here. Please have this checked and please mention it to your doctor. It probably is an allergy, but everything should be checked.

My three daughters just had a problem like this. I took them to the doctor and it was Scarlet Fever (strep throat). The Doc said it was what happens at the very end stages of Scarlet Fever. It was treated with an antibiotic. Good Luck.

Amazing! Kristie responded that she'd known this to be an allergy to oranges...that's what happened to me for several years and, last year, to my nephew! The good thing is, it was something we both outgrew. (And it always happened in the winter time...orange season!)

Obviously, it may be a totally different food causing the allergy but it's likely dietary if he says it doesn't hurt or sting. (If it were a fungus, it wouldn't be on his hands and then his toes. Fungus festers where it's introduced. The fact that it's manifesting in two such different places tells you its an internal problem...diet.)

Best wishes,

I am 50 years old and have the same problem.
My Doc says it is exemma and has given me steriod cream for daily use. Other reason could simply be and allergy response.

My brother had that happen to him when he was young too. We can't seem to remember why, but I remember he had to soak his hands and feet in iodine treatments all the time. After many months of these treatments it never came back again. But definitely see your doctor!

wishing your son the best,
H.

my son is 8 yrs old, and i noticed severe peeling of his hands, concentrated on his fingers. It looked like is should be very painful, but he swears it doesn't hurt at all. We figured out the culprit- the swing!! He loves to go on the swing- and the rope was causing his fingers to peel. We now just make sure he has lots of lotion on, or we put gloves on him when he is on the swing for long periods of time. Sometimes, it is the simpliest of things!! :)

My kids have never experienced this but I did once a couple of years ago. It occured after being sick for a few days and enduring a very high fever. A couple of days after I started feeling beter the skin on both hands shed completely. It was very weird to say the least, but it didn't itch or hurt in any way. I never sought any medical advice on it since I attributed it to the high fever.

1 / 3