6 Yr Old with Cold Sore

Hi mamas

I have just discovered what I believe is a cold sore on my son's lip. The doctor was on vacation all week, so just wondering if anyone has recommendations for what to do for it. I have never had one. Do I just let it run it's course? My son wont stop picking at it!! Is it contageous? The whole family uses the same vaseline for our dry lips!! Thanks
M. W

campho phenique
I don't think I spelled it right, but one or two applications and its gone! Very effective and immediately soothing. Good luck M.!
PS I just read the other responses, and I'm probably the oldest one responding because I never used the abreva- it is probably the new campho phenique. Don't freak out- just try the stuff for a day or two and it will be gone. Those others readings might scare you, but my children are 19 and 21 and I never brought them to a dr for a cold sore. Relax!!!!!!!!

Get to the drugstore ASAP and buy abreva. I used to get cold sores all the time when I was younger and now that I am older the only thing that works on them is Abreva. A little goes a long way and it will heal it up rather quickly. Herpes is contagious. Everyone in the family probably has it but the coldsores usually flare up after a fever or if the body is fighting off a cold and the immune system is low. You can't get rid of the virus, but you can keep the cold sores from getting bigger if you put abreva on it at the first sign of a cold sore, usually itchy and puffy lip (I get them in my nose at times when I am sick).

If it is a cold sore yes it is contagious. A cold sore is a type of Herpes virus.

Buy some Lactinex Tablets. You ask the druggest for them and tell them that they are in the refrigerator. They come in granular form, but the tablets work the best. Have your son chew 2 of them 3 times a day for the first 2 days and you will see them go away! Continue for about 4 days at 2 Tabs. 2 times a day. You will also see them appear less and less if he takes them the next time he gets one again. I used to get them off and on for years and that was the only thing that really worked. My boss used to get them all the time too and that was the only thing that worked for him too. If I took them for a few days at the first sign of it, it would not even form. You have to catch it early though. Don't let anyone tell you that it won't work, or it's not the right thing to take because of what the bottle says. It will!

Hi M. W,

They are very contageous. I would immediatley discard the vaseline you are all sharing. Go to CVS and look for abreva. I'm not sure what the age is on it. I know from my own experience that you can make matters worse by picking at them.

campho phenique

I use lysine creme when I get a cold sore. You don't need a prescription. You buy it in a natural/health food store. Some people take lysine pills by mouth when they feel like they are getting one. But, I find that the creme works the best. Cold sores are usually pretty painful. So, I would get the creme right away. You also don't have to worry about using too much. I always apply it with a q-tip or kleenex to keep the tube of it clean. I have used the prescription med in the past, but I find that the lysine creme takes away the pain faster. Hope this helps!

Hi- I learned that for the most of us who are infected with the cold sore virus (which is a majority of the population), we get infected at a young age, from parents or relatives kissing us on the lips. It is spread overwhelmingly by direct contact, but can also possibly be spread by sharing things by mouth. The initial infection is usually more severe- with a fever and flu symptoms. Future infections may present as just the cold sore, and some people may not even have any future outbreaks with it. The problem is, it is very contagious- and the virus sheds through the skin periodically, even without a visible sore. So, it is good to be careful about sharing things- and particularly during an outbreak. You know- it is also possible that it is just a canker sore, or cheilosis- a crack that can occur in the lips that then gets a little infected-

Cold sores are caused by the herpes virus, which is also the same virus that causes chicken pox. It is very contageous. You have many great responses, so I won't go any further than this. good luck

1 / 3