6 Yr Old Boy--can't Keep His Hands off His Privates.

My 6 1/2 year old son is constantly pulling at the front of his pants. If I question him he says it's stuck. I think it's just a habit by now. But I feel like I'm constantly telling him to stop or that's something he needs to do in private. He has different sizes and styles of undies. Pants that fit, pants that are a little big....doesn't seem to matter. So I guess I just want to know if this is just because he's six and a boy?? :)

Thanks everyone! I asked if he would like to try some powder to help with the sticking sensation, we're gonna try that. It's all an outside the clothing manuver- so I think it probably is more likely just the man-adjustment type of thing.... He swears it doesn't itch or hurt anywhere and everything looks normal as far as I can tell.
Thanks again!

6.......26.......46.......
Dies it ever end? Lol
Hopefully a phase. My 9 year old has been "over it" for a few years, if that's a comfort!

if it is sticking then get him some powder for his balls, that should help.

Most likley it is just a boy phase. All of mine that are 6 or older have gone through it about that same time (age 5-7). It might be worth a conversation to make sure there is no pain or itch in his groin that is making him constantly re-adjust, and as long as all is clear, just constantly remind him that he needs to adjust himself in an appropriate place.

And I agree with Mom2many... all men and boys do it, they are just better at hiding it as they get older. And a note from my husband "well, the darn thing constantly needs to be readjusted"........ men **sigh**

We're going through this with my 5.5 yr old right now too. You might want to check to see if he has any irritation. My son had jock itch and was incessantly touching, until my husband diagnosed him and we put Tinactin on it until it was cleared up.

He does sometimes do it still, but more for the sensation. We tell him not to do it in public and developed a code word to let him know to stop doing it if we notice it in public. We say, "Napoleon," because Napoleon famously used to walk around with his hands behind his back, so reminds him to put his hands behind his back/stop touching his privates.

6.......26.......46.......
Dies it ever end? Lol

i have a wonderful photo somewhere of 3 of my little brothers, lined up in front of the wall of our childhood home in bermuda, every one of them clutching his jewels.
:)
it's okay to remind him to unclench, but don't worry too much. he'll grow out of it.
:) khairete

When my son was that age, DH and I would privately joke that our son had his own personal worry stone. If you know what I mean:)

Don't worry, peer pressure will take care of the habit pretty quickly. Just make sure there isn't a rash or itch going on. Sounds like he's been asked about it, and knowing 6 year old boys they're sure to tell you if something it itching.

We women will never understand,cause we don't have parts that stick. All men and boys do it, only they are a little better at hiding it then say a 6 year old.

Find a word that you can say if you catching him doing it, then ask that he take it to the bathroom until he has it adjusted right.

Just keep reminding him he's in public and it's hands off. If there isn't an actual rash or other issue you can see then be persistent and gentle.

My husband has to "readjust" ever so often, his most comfortable position is contrary to gravity.

1 / 3