6 Year Old with Infectious Dandruff???

Hi, My 6 year old has had a really dry scalp for about 3 years now and it's just getting worse. Her scalp even bleeds. I've tried Dr. Miracle's on her and it really soothes her scalp for the time being but it doesn't do anything for the problem after washing. It use to not bother her, but now every time she gets her hair combed, it hurts. I've asked my beautician what to do about it and she said to put apple cider vinegar on her scalp ( I haven't tried it though). Does anyone have any suggestions or know of anyone with this scalp condidtion?

Hello Everyone! My daughter's scalp looks much better. She has a quite large ball spot in the top of her head, but she has enough hair to cover it. So it's not noticeable, thank God. She tested positive for fungus, it was a ringworm that spreaded because she would scratch so much in her sleep. We've been using Neutrogena T/Sal shampoo and she's on an oral liquid fungus medicine. There's no more pain and no more bleeding. Things are certainly looking better! Thanks for everything. May God bless each of you~

You can get Nioxin at Walmart salon or JC Penney salon & it will take care of it ...or when my son had exema in his hair we used T-Gel shampoo from walmart ...in the shampoo section. There are several types to select from...good luck.

Since it has been going on for three yrs., a doctor or dermatologist may be in order. You could need a prescription-strength shampoo, or more aggressive treatment with a steroid lotion.

If a scalp shows signs of redness, bleeding, swelling, scabbing, or gooeyness - accompanied by flakes, in all likelihood there could be another scalp disease involved like psoriasis or ringworm (yucky, but can be treated). With any of these symptoms it is important to see your health care provider immediately!

You can treat flaking and dryness with over-the-counter dandruff or medicated shampoos but with visible signs of patches or bleeding that is painful, I would make a B line straight for the Dr. first, and bypass all the quacky 'miracle remedies' out there. You'll save time and cost in the long run. If you have All Kids medical coverage, or other coverage, use it!

This product may not be what your child needs, so ask or see if the dermatologist mentions Nizoral. Nizoral is the only shampoo containing a patented active ingredient known as ketoconazole (discovered by Dr. Paul Janssen in Belgium). This ingredient is medically proven to be effective and acts directly to inhibit growth of the fungus. Most other anti-dandruff shampoos work by normalizing the pH of the scalp. Nizoral is the most well-studied anti-dandruff shampoo available today.

It's effect is long-lasting. Even after rinsing, Nizoral carries on working for several days. This means that you don't need to use Nizoral every day making it extremely cost-effective.

In any event, a good work up and scrutiny of your little girl's scalp would make me feel a whole lot better.

Good luck with this.
Sincerely____________

I had something like this when I was younger, it was called seborrhoeic dermatitis. I had flaky, itchy scalp. I'd pull out chunks of scabby like scalp (and sometimes hair). It would bleed sometimes from all my picking/scratching. My doctor recommended T/Gel (shampoo found over the counter). It has tar in it, so it doesn't smell nice, but it does the job. Neutrogena makes it. You may even be able to find coupons for it (try searching online). I even use it sometimes now when I have dry/itchy scalp flare ups.

I'm just guessing here, but have you asked her doctor? You may want to. Your daughter might be having a health problem with this being a symptom. If you have tried the doctor, then I would look into a health food store for vitaims that help dry skin. Do not wash her hair everyday only when needed and brush the hair and scalp well, spreads natural oils and massages the scalp to improve hair growth. Use a good conditioner and you could give her a deep conditioner with mayo, rub into the scalp well. Olive oil is also good. Just make sure the scalp has a good soaking in water, so the oil can help hold in the moisture. I would check with the doctor first if anyway possible.

Apple cider vinegar is great because it draws out impurities and toxins and things that might be irritating the scalp, but you should take her to a dermatologist.

This problem runs in my family, and Dr.'s now think it is hereditary which I have already figured out since it runs in my family. My Dr. said to use Nizoral for 2 weeks straight; you use it on the scalp but use another shampoo on the ends of the hair since Nizoral is really just needed for the scalp. After 2 weeks, use Head and Shoulders for 2 weeks and then use a shampoo w/ tar in it for 2 weeks; Neutrogena makes a tar shampoo, T Gel. It works! I alternate between the 3 shampoos and regular shampoos after getting it under control. However, to start out you need to do the 6 week treatment. Good luck!

P.S. Don't use vinegar! I tried this, and it burned my scalp!!!!!!!!! The Dr. said the Nizoral gets rid of the fungus.

Hello, I would try Tea Tree Oil, put a coupke of drops in a quarter size of shampoo in your hand rub together and wash his hair. I sware by this stuff for any skin problems. You can buy it at any health store, I bought it at the Health in action in Jonesboro but I found at my favorite place on the net for even cheaper and that is www.puritanspride.com. It can be a little expensive but so worth it. Good luck, M.

I don't mean to sound racist or anything like but if you are african like myself then i can relate because i have a 5 year old with the same problem but i did something to get rid of it and once it leaves you have to keep it up and it should never return or if it does catch it at the beginning and it should leave before it gets too bad. What i had to do was wash my daughters hair like every 2 or 3 days depemding on how bad it was and i had to wash it with sulfur 8 shampoo it is kinda expensive but it works, then grease their scalp with sulfur 8 hair grease and i just use and conditioner as long as you wash it all the way out so that won't contribute to the irritation. I only use the conditioner to be easier to comb through the hair. And every time i comb her hair i have to grease her scalp with the sulfur 8 grease and you should start to see a difference within less than a week. Another shampoo that works is the selsun blue but the sulfur 8 is cheaper and it works the same if not better. When i first started i saw a difference with the first or second wash. It may not clear it up all the way the first or second time but you will see a difference with using this. My doctor didn't help me out either but my cousin has the same problem and so does her son but you could never tell because she uses sulfur 8 on him and she uses t-gel on her self. That t-gel shampoo is a little stronger and it works wonders for her because hers is a lot worse than her sons. The sulfur 8 grease stinks a little so if you want you can mix it with a little hair grease that smells good so it will cut the smell but it will still work the same as long as you don't put more regular hair grease than the sulfur 8. Good luck!! If that doesn't work send me a personal message and i will ask her another way to get rid of it if that is not strong enough and i will send you back a personal message and let you know what she says because she is almost 31 years old and she has had this problem all of her life and she has learned to manage it very well to the point to where if you don't know her you would ever know that her scalp is like that.

1 / 3