6 Year Old Who Has Been Stopped up and Congested for Years

My 6 year old daughter seems to be stopped up all the time. She seems to have trouble breathing at night when she sleeps(snores loudly and almost gets choked while trying to breathe through her nose while she sleeps), it doesnt wake her up, but I watched her sleeping a few nights ago and it almost seemed like she stopped breathing for 30 secs which really scared me. She cant breathe through her nose at all times and it is really starting to bother me. She is always thirsty at night and seems to be "sucking on a bottle" while she sleeps with her lips in a circle while breathing through her mouth, and she has had numerous ear infections in the past which ended up with her getting tubes in her ears, it helped the ear infections and I dont know if it is even related to her constant stuffiness, but thought I would give as much info as possible. She is always blowing her nose and coughing alittle from all the phlem or mucus buildup. I have taken her to the doctor and told them what was going on and they seemed to think it was allergies. They prescribed her clariton and a nose spray, she has been on for a year, and it hasnt seemed to help. And it seems like the doctors only answer is that she has allergies, which they didnt test her for. Im just wondering what it could be bc I feel like it is more than just "allergies". If someone has had this problem with there children, please let me know. I was thinking maybe I need to take her to a ear, nose, throat doctor but cant without a referral from her primary care provider (and they wont since they believe she has allergies) Please, if someone has any info. please let me know!!!! Thanks so much!

My brother had a similar problem when he was little. He was always up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water, sometimes walking in his sleep for it. His tonsils and adenoids were removed, and he was so much better! My mom liked to tell me he didn't sleep through the night until he was 6 or 7 when I complained about mine not sleeping through until age 1. :)

I agree with those suggesting an ENT(Ear, Nose, Throat). They do thorough testing to really determine the cause. I got tired of a doctor telling me my frequent colds were "probably allergies". I was thinking "You're the doctor, tell me if they are or not". An ENT did a very thorough job to see what the problem was, and I'm glad I went.

C.:
As someone who suffers from allergies, it could be that. Does she get dry mouth? I do and it is causing cavities in my teeth. There is stuff out there you can use for that. Because of her age, I would have MD look at her tonsils and see if they are enlarged. Also almost sounds like sleep apena. I would go to another MD until I get this resolved. If you have to go to several, please keep going as she def needs refief. Good luck
A.

she seems to have sinus problems... .and sinuses can affect the ears..... too. It Drains into each other.... and if the sinuses are inflamed, then that affects 'breathing' too. Creating blockage...

Does she have mucous from her nose or post-nasal drip???? Post-nasal drip also causes coughing... as it drips down the throat....

The sinus and ears... affect each other.

If Claritin does not work for her, then try something else. Claritin for example works for me, but does not for my Mom. So she takes Zyrtec.
The prescription "Allegra" is also good. But I don't know if they make that for kids.

I would, take her to a Specialist... and check her sinuses.

My Husband has sensitive sinuses... and always gets sinus infections. Sinus issues, are hard to get rid of... especially if it is infected....

You could also try a "neti pot" ... which is a nasal flush. Using plain warm water. My daughter, at that age, could and would use it... when she had a clogged nose from colds. My Husband uses it daily. Many Doctors recommend it. You can get it at any drugstore or Whole Foods.

Sure, it may be allergies. Probably is. BUT... it is her sinuses.. .that are inflamed/blocked and probably causing post-nasal drip, coughing and the ear infections....
That is my guess....

It is ridiculous... that the Pediatrician will not refer her to a Specialist. Even if it is for allergies... their current recommendation of Claritin is NOT working for her. AND you the parent, are requesting a referral to a Specialist... so they SHOULD do so.
Ask them again...

all the best,
Susan

Take her to an ENT doc. I just went thru the exact same thing with my now 6 yr old daughter. This summer (just after turning 6) she had tubes in ears, tonsils and adnoids out and turbenites (inside her nose) shrunk. She doesn't snore anymore, hasn't been sick (yet :), speech is clearing up too. SHE CAN BREATH!!! If they "believe" that she has allergies, then she needs to be tested and seen by an ENT. Insist on it!!!! Also, that saline mist spray or a netti pot works wonders and all it is, is salt water! Any questions as you move forward with this, don't hesitate to ask me - like I said we just went thru this end of July.

how are her adenoids and tonsils? If they are enlarged it can cause the snoring and sleep apnea. My oldest has been very tired in the morning lately and he snores so he is going to be sent for a sleep study if it continues to check for sleep apnea.

sorry to hear that your going through this.... i feel that you should insist to your PCP to give you a referral to the specialists because you deserve to have peace of mind. your PCP works for YOU. It may just be allergies (my sister went through that as a child) but just to reassure you it would be a good idea to take her to a specialist. If your PCP continues to deny a referral, it may be time to get a new PCP. Thats not a very professional PCP. Just gently remind him that he works for you. Maybe that small reminder will get him on the right track with a referral.

C. , I haven't read the other posts, but if you can't get your stubborn doctor to refer you, get another doctor. This is ridiculous,a year of this problem in a 6 year old. She needs to see not just an allergist, but also an ENT. Her sinuses could be chronically infected. She needs a nasal endoscopy. That and a CT scan.

Don't take no for an answer. Demand action tomorrow!

Sending strength to you,

Has anyone ever suggested food allergies? You can find out easily by removing foods from her diet. It may take take up to 10 days to see a difference. The top offenders are wheat and dairy products along with soy, eggs, shellfish and nuts.

I would hate for your daughter to keep taking Claritin if it is not helping at all.

Check on the possibility of sleep apnea - that is a very real situation that can have some long-term complications.

Also try a humidifier in her room in this dry weather. My 6yo also seems continuously congested, but it isn't a runny nose, it is gobs of stuff way up in her sinuses that takes 5-10 minutes of blowing to get it out. Then it starts all over again in a day or so. She is also prone to nosebleeds, due to dry air. To both my ped has suggested the humidifier, so we're going to be trying that.

HTH, good luck!

1 / 3