6 Year Old Wearing Diapers

My brother's girlfriend's son will be starting kindagarden in August. He still wears diapers because he is constantly pooping in his pants. They have taken toys away, taken tv away, and made him go to bed early. he knows when he has to go and at times is not even doing anything. nothing has seemed to work with helping with this problem. any suggestions?

Hi T.,

A suggestion I would have would be to create a reward chart. Each day he does not poop his pants he gets to put a sticker or smily face on the chart. Once he gets five in a row or whatever works for you have him get a reward (small toy or out for ice cream or something he would want. Good luck!

This situation is extreme. I would either have the pediatrician recommend a child psychologist for the family, or call Children's Hospital, where they have a clinic for children with poop/pee problems.

One day in kindergarten being the only kid in diapers will probably straighten him out right away. In the meantime, he really should be cleaning up after himself every time he has a "mistake". I would also recommend getting rid of the diapers, having him pick out brand new underware with his favorite superhero on it. Always bring a spare set of underware and pants, plastic bag and cleaning supplies. He's a big boy. If he poops his pants he can clean it up. You don't have to make a big deal out of it. Godd luck!

My niece was the same way. My sister tried reward systems, taking privileges away, everything. Finally what worked for her was giving her daughter money. That's right! She just had to find what was a true reward for her little girl, and she paid her a dime or a quarter or whatever, every time she used the toilet. Of course, now that she's finally potty trained, she still thinks she should be paid and has a hard time understanding why she is no longer getting paid to poop, but those are the knocks, I guess.

Go see a specialist and rule out medical issues.

Take the DIAPERS away. Pooping in underwear feels alot more gross, and then make him clean it up himself.

with my brother we used m&ms to guide him to the toilet instead of punishing him reward him my cousin wore pooped himself till he was 11

The parents need to take the child to a doctor or psychologist. Something physiologically or psychologically is not completely developed. An expert might be able to help. They shouldn't be punishing the child.

OK, I read some of the responses and I have to say that the advice is good...to an extent. I was once where you are now. My daughter would poop in her pants often. We tried making her wash them and letting her wear them all day long. It didnt help. We tried the big girl thing, taking away priviledges and such, but with no changes in her behavior. Then about a year ago, I recorded an episode of Dr. Phil that I planned on watching, but I got bored and almost deleted it multiple times. Every time I went to delete it, I felt very strongly that I should watch it and finally I did. It was an episode where parents could ask various medical DR's questions, and one of the families featured seemed to be telling my story. The woman had two boys (ages 9 & 15) that were still pooping in thier underware and it was a nightmare for them. What I didnt know is that there is a medical condition called encompresis sp? that is part of chronic constipation. What happens is there is a hard old clog of poop in the colon which stretches the colon. Then the fresher, softer poop seeps out around it into the underware. The stimulation of the hard clog eventually causes the child to loose the ability to feel that they have to go; the rectum becomes overstimulated and so they just quit feeling the urge to go. As for the smell after the accident, well it is like wearing perfume; after a while you cant smell your perfume anymore because you become used to the smell.

My daughter and I spent years going round and round. I thought that she was just being lazy, but in reality she has a real problem. A quick trip to her doctor got us on the right path. He prescribed Miralax, which is really great, and keeps her regulated, but I forget to give it to her. A week ago, I decided to try her on Activia since she can get it for herself, and it has worked wonders. She has pooped in the toilet every day she has eaten it.

Make it his responsibilty to clean himself and his clothes up when he poops. And absolutly no diapers. He is obviously in a power struggle with this portion of growing up and it is the last thing that children have absolute control over. Also if there is any instability in the houshold they will also present with this problem at this age. Good luck and tell them to stick with it and it will get better.

1 / 3