6 Year Old Takes FOREVER to Get Ready

Hey there moms. My 6 year old takes forever to get ready. I set her alarm 15 minutes earlier so she can start her day doing something she wants to do before the official school routine starts (usually she wants to watch part of a cartoon) but she still moves so slowly. My problem is that I tend to repeat myself asking her to move along. I can get so frustrated! GRRRRRRR! So, for those parents who also have kids who are slow paced, how do you motivate THEM to get going? Specifically, what incentives and consequences do you use? I am especially interested in hearing from you parents who use Love and Logic. What do you do? I want her to be on time for school and I want to be frustrated. Oh yeah, what do you do to stay calm as a mom? How do you stop that anger from getting the best of you?

Please "keep it real" in your responses. Thanks!

I go in and wake my 7 year old up by tickling him and taking off his pj's for him. It gets him moving and starts the day off right. If he doesn't want to get dressed I just tell him he will go to school in whatever it is he is wearing. I don't get upset because I'm leaving the choice in his hands. He's not to keen on going to school in his underwear with no shoes or socks, especially when it's cold out. I still help him get everything organized and together before getting to the bus but it isn't as much of a struggle as it used to be. He only gets tv if he is completely ready and there is extra time.

Good luck - S.

Move the get ready routine to the beginning and she can have free time when she is finished. I also use music. We have a get up and ready song that I play each morning. When they are finished getting ready and had breakfast, they can have whatever time that is left over to do what they want before it's time to head out the door.

N.,

I have the pokiest 5 year old ever!! What we do as soon as he gets up is keep him moving. I can't let him get to comfy in one spot. We get up at 6:30am and thats "eating time" I am constantly telling him ok 30 min to eat-25 min and eating time is done etc every 5 min until time is out.

When eating time is done......its done. We move on to brushing time 7:00am to 7:10am again the countdown, I try to have him brush himself but if he is too pokey I will go in the bathroom and give his teeth a quick swipe.

7:10-7:20 dressing time. I lay his clothes out for him the night before and he only hast to take his PJs off and put his clothes on. Again I have to keep harping to keep moving and how many minutes are left.

7:20-7:30- Getting snowpants-boots-coat and hat on and grabbing backpack on the way out the door.

We leave at 7:30 am every morning.
He's getting better, I think he gets tired of hearing my voice all morning lol so do I, but its not forever.

Why not just flip her 15 minutes of "fun" (t.v. time, or playing) to after she is COMPLETELY ready, instead of right when she wakes up. My oldest is 4 1/2 and he is not allowed to watch "his shows" until he's eaten breakfast and is fully dressed. This is good motivation for him, and I don't care if he gets to watch t.v. or not!

N.,
My daughter has ADHD and at nine years old, she is still very pokey!!! What has worked for us (when consistent), is a reward system in which points are tallied at the end of the day for specific tasks i.e. getting ready on time, putting backpack in her room when she gets home from school etc.
We give her "tokens" at the end of each day depending on how many tasks she did on her own. When she gets a certain amount she can "buy" things such as extra tv time, trip to Dollar Store, staying up late on weekend etc.

The way we measure her "getting ready on time" is by creating a simple, basic list of things she needs to do each morning i.e. get dressed, brush teeth, go potty, brush hair. She is responsible for checking them off as she goes and if she completes her list without any help from me, she gets the points for it.

I do not think it is ever to early to teach responsibility and it makes them feel good to not have us nagging all morning and makes us feel good!! If your daughter is to young to read task list, use pictures or something. If it doesn't work, don't give up. Tweek it to correct trouble areas until it works for both of you.

Through my daughter's ADHD, I have become a big advocate of positive reinforcement and reward systems. Those who say that we shouldn't "bribe our children" and they should just do things because they are "supposed to", should ask themselves if they would still go to work without their paycheck as a reward.

Good Luck!!!

Hi! You've gotten some great responses. I also don't allow tv time until after my 6 1/2 year old is all ready to go. I still do quite a bit of the laying out of boots, snowpants, making sure she has morning snack packed, library books, etc., but will gradually hand over some of those responsbilities. She used to take a long time getting dressed in the morning and would complain on cold days that she didn't want to wear jeans (cold when you first put them on), so one day I thought I'd give her a treat and put her clothes in the dryer for 2 minutes. Now, it's part of our routine and she gets dressed really fast. She comes down for breakfast in pj's and when she's just about done with breakfast, I put her clothes in the dryer and set the timer for 2 minutes. At the beep, she runs over to the dryer and pulls out the clothes and gets dressed fast while they are still warm. I'll probably need a new plan to keep her speedy when summer comes next year, but for now, it works for us. I'm just starting to learn about Love and Logic, so I don't have any specifics along those lines. Oh, I also use an alarm on my cell phone. I have one alarm set that goes off 10 minutes or so before I want her to get up... I put it on the stairs when it starts to ring so that is kind of an alarm clock for her. THen it rings every 5 minutes and if necessary, I go up and make sure she's waking up... most days she wakes up, goes potty and comes right down for breakfast. I also have one go off when it's time for breakfast... to keep us on track. The last one goes off 10 minutes before we leave for the bus... the first time we hear it, it's time to wrap everything up, grab any last minute items, get dressed if we were running a little late, etc. the 2nd time the alarm goes off (5 min. before going out the door), final call for all the last things... and getting coats on, etc... (I'm getting a 1 1/2 year old ready at the same time)... we're in car then by the time the alarm goes off the last time. I speed this up a little bit if we're going to walk to the bus stop as we need a few extra minutes, but 3 days a week, I drive to work after the bus comes, so it works well. Some days I lose patience because something didn't go as planned... On those days, I try to apologize to my daughter and I'm sure to praise her and us on days when we do really well with our patience and timing. Hope this helps.

I heard once of a mom who bought a cheap clock (one that you can take the face off of) and painted it into sections, or wedges for bedtime and waketime. Theoretically you could do the same for the morning routine. I would probably to 10-15 minute 'wedges' so that during one color wedge, it's cartoon time, when the minute hand moves to another color it's dressing time, etc...that way she would know what is expected of her and would be able to be proactive instead of reactive to your urging her along. Kids do amazing things when they start to gain some control!

~L.

Good luck - S.

N.; first of all i have a son just like that, and has been that way alot of the time, at 6 i would think you can still help them get dressed, have things laid our the night before, have their room kept clean, disorganized areas can affect their attitude, also keep the tv off, if they want to watch their show, or play computer games, they must do what they are supposed to do, my son is now 14 and still very much slower than everyone else in the morning, especially , we have a rule that no tv before going to school, unless, you are dressed , eaten and homework is done, also we make the rule no computers , tv or games after school either, until their homework is done , and perhaps chores, that need doing, escpecially older ones who have chores, they get plenty of time to play games and watch tv once they have learned to get what is needed first like gettting dressed, if they love to watch tv like first thing in morning , you can do two things, if you leave tv on, then get them up earlier, let them wake up with one show, and then get ready , or dont even turn it on, or dont turn it on till they are dressed and ready to go, but if tv is on, they wont leave in middle of show, so its a timing thing, however, all you can do it make it nice for them, before going to bed, set it up so you get all that they need for the morning, even setting out bowls for breakfast and clothes and such, that way when they wake up its all ready , but yeah its very hard not to yell at them, and not to hurry them up,, but some yelling does happen, and so does hurrying them up, i understand your frustration, just plan ahead and i would leave tv off till they are ready , and when you turn it on , after they are dressed and ready , let them know ok but we wont be able to finsih watching the show but you got 15 minutes, or whatever, just enjoy them and help them, D. s

1 / 3