6 Year Old Suddenly Wetting Bed

My 6 year old daughter has wet the bed the past 3 nights. She goes to the bathroom before she goes to bed. This has not been an issue in the past. We are a normal family and nothing out of the ordinary has happened to make her upset. I am concerned there could be a medical problem. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do?

Wow! Thank you all to the caring moms with great insight! She does not have an infection, which is good! I guess it could have been one of the other things mentioned by all of you such as a growth spurt, sleeping too deep or change in weather! She has not had an accident since those 3 nights. I appreciate all the kind words!

My daughter was in kindegarden and she started wetting the bed every night, so we took her to the doctor nothing was wrong. We found out she was having problems at school. We ended up taking her out of that school, and she stopped wetting the bed. She was scared of the principle she was in a Catholic school. The principle would come in and scare the kids.

change in diet, too much sugar, new "frequently" used food can all be the cause of bed wetting. Sugar, the most common.
It works in children like alcohol works in adults. Sugar effects their central nervous system ( much like a drunk can't walk in a straight line because their muscles are weak and out of control) OR if a new food has been brought in, perhaps a chemical is in it. ( like they just started drinking a diet soda) this could also be the cause.

It's time to play FBI!

Check for UTI and make sure things at school are okay and that there isn't something going on.

I have the same problem. My son NEVER wet the bed. Then suddenly when he turned 7 he started doing it. His pediatrician said it's nothing to worry about, it happens to a lot of kids and it's very common. He's doing better now, but he still has accidents sometimes. His pediatrician said he will grow out of it.

Take her to her doctor and rule out a urinary tract infection.

It's time to play FBI!

anything happenign at school? or yes always rule out medical first
good luck

I too am a mother of a 6 yr old infact 6 year old twins I also have 2 older children. Anyways not to scare you but my 6 yr old boy, was having issues with wetting the bed also. We limited his drinking before bed time and even made sure he went to the bathroom before bed, but he still did wet. We decided to take him to the dr. to see if maybe there was a bladder problem or something like that it ended up being type 1 diabetes. We was not expecting anything like that. I would defenelly take her to be check.

I've worked as an RN for urology for 7 years. She may have a urinary tract infection. Rule this out first. Take her into the ped. to have her urine tested. Sometimes a sudden bedwetting probably could be the result of a UTI that needs to be treated.

1 / 3