6 Year Old Pooping on Himself.

Hi i am 18 year old mother with a 6 year old son. i am having a serious problem. he is always pooping on himself. everyday from the morning to the night i have to be cleaning him. i've taken him to the school psychologist and she has told me that she doesn't know why he keeps on doing this. i've tried putting him in time out, spanking him,. even talking to him calmly but nothing seems to work. i even asked him if he felt embarassed to be like that in front of other kids and he said no. i don't know what else to do. can somebody please tell me.

he can't stop. can somebody please help me or ill will go crazy.

He may have "encopresis." Look it up online... it is a medical condition... and it is involuntary...

I would, take him to the Doctor.
Don't scold him... he probably cannot control it.

Or, how is his life? Anything different or stressful for him? This is another reason this can happen.

I really do not think he can control it... if he is pooping on himself... or getting skid marks on his underwear, it sounds like Encopresis.

all the best,
Susan

You had your son at 12??!!

Google "encopresis" and see if that's what you're observing.

Have you discussed this with his pediatrician? It might be helpful.

This is not a big deal, momma. You can handle it with a bit of creativity and common sense. Don't let your frustration get the best of you.

Step one, at the very top of the list, before anything else: You need to talk to his pediatrician. You need to rule out any possible physical conditions which could be causing this. If he can't FEEL that he needs to poo, it's not really his fault, right? And if he's constipated and can't push it all out, he needs some meds from the doctor to help. You have to make sure his body is working properly first and foremost.

Be sure he's eating a healthy diet and getting enough fiber (fruits, veggies, whole grains). Meats, dairy and processed grains can stop him up so he can't go comfortably. He might be having a hard time because it hurts to go. See what the doctor says.

If it isn't a physical issue, and all his pooping parts are working properly, it's a behavioral concern. Punishing him certainly is not going to help, so stop doing that now. Even if he were doing this out of spite, spankings will only worsen the behavior. I know it is frustrating, but you are not helping the situation if you show anger or lose your temper. You need to offer comfort to your child by showing that you are calm, collected, and in control. If you are calm, it's easier for him to be calm. Yelling or spanking does not model calmness to your son.

The best way to show your child that you are calm, collected, and in control is to make sure that his daily schedule is consistent. Do the same things at generally the same times in the same way....every day. Be where you say you are going to be, and don't go dragging him to a bunch of different people's houses or leaving him with different friends or family. Stick to the same sitter when you use one, and make sure they follow your rules. He needs to know that he has a bedtime that is the same each night, and on school nights he's in his own bed AT that time.

He needs to know what is expected of him. Without that knowledge he will be angry, lost, anxious, argumentative, and difficult to deal with on all levels. Schedules mean stability, and stability means comfort to a child (because they know you have it all under control)...which means fewer tantrums, outbursts, and bad habits. Don't be one of those stupid young mothers who are dragging their kids to Walmart at midnight when they should be sleeping in their own bed (and then they are slapping at the child when they cry or whine because they are tired). Be smarter than that.

You must also be sure that you are consistent in how you deal with him and the time you spend with him. Spend some extra time and focus on this issue a bit, even if you must remind him to use the toilet a few times a day. Figure out what time he usually needs to go (kids tend to be like little clocks when it comes to bowel movements) and remind him to go to the toilet 10-20 minutes prior to "the usual time." Don't take no for an answer, just make him go.

Sometimes kids will get so wrapped up in what they are doing that they don't want to stop to use the toilet, so be sure that there are no distractions at the usual time. Turn off the TV, video games, etc. and send him to the bathroom.

If he's having the same problem at school, consider the purchase of a small Timex watch. Set it so an alarm goes off each day about 10-20 minutes before the time he usually has a bowel movement so he knows that he needs to get up and go to the restroom. This might mean coordinating/discussing with his teacher, but I'm sure they'd rather deal with a little "beep beep beep" once a day than the alternative.

I wish you the very best of luck and hope some of my advice helped. As the mother of 3 boys, I've seen it all (or cleaned it off my floor).

Best,

I would, take him to the Doctor.

all the best,
Susan

Some kids get the hang of going pee in the potty when needed a lot sooner than the are able for going poop in the potty. And it may take them a little while to start going poop in the potty without someone telling them to do so. If that's the case for your son -- if he has never initiated going poop on the potty on his own -- then a little bit more time and patience may be necessary. He may still need you and his teacher to tell him to go to the bathroom at regular intervals (usually not long after he has eaten a meal) to get him in the habit of going poop when he goes to the bathroom.

You may also want to consider that your son may have issues with his digestive system. When you clean him up, are his poops firm and formed, or soft and mushy? If they are soft and mushy, then he probably has diarrhea caused by some back up of fecal matter in his intestinal track (gross, I know -- sorry!). And if diarrhea is the issue, then of course he is going to poop his pants at this age -- his system is all out of whack. There are things that you can do to help restore the balance to his digestive system but I would actually suggest that you take the matter up with his pediatrician to get his input and guidance.

I would take him to the pediatrician. That doesn't sound normal.

Did you give birth to this boy at the age of 12? What are your living circumstances? Are you being assisted by your own parents?

If you have been the sole/primary parent of this child, I suspect that there could well be accumulated emotional issues involved here that you have no way to cope with. Spanking a child for elimination issues, for example, is more likely to complicate than to help the situation. Find professional help, if possible. There are probably services available through your county or city governments if money is an issue.

Y.,
I think that punishment is not the answer to this sort of problem. I understand that it is probably frustrating beyond belief, but you will end up causing a lot more trauma to his psyche in the long run by spanking him and punishing him in other ways for completing a bodily function in the wrong place and at the wrong time. This could cause him to hold it in, and be afraid of using the bathroom even when it is appropriate.
My question is: what has changed in your life that might be stressful to him? Have you recently moved, gotten married, divorced, separated, met a new man, has a pet died, a family member died, a friend died? Any number of things can cause a huge emotional upset in children, that may not affect us as adults so greatly. Perhaps evaluate your life in general, and figure out how to make what he is experiencing better.
Other than using the bathroom on himself, is he on par developmentally? Have you had him tested for anything? Have you talked to his pediatrician?
Also, I am currently reading a wonderful book called The No-Cry Discipline Solution. It has really helped me to re-evaluate my role as a mother, and see childhood from a different perspective. As parents, we are responsible for so much! I'd definitely suggest that you pick up this book, and start reading it. I could help you determine what discipline to use for what situation.
I certainly hope all of this helps you.

-T.

First thing is to take him to the pediatrician. Physical reasons need to be ruled out before you can do anything else. In the mean time, try not to yell at him or punish him when he does this. If there is no physical reason, then he needs to see a child therapist who can work with your son and you on discovering the cause for this.

This is a common problem and you need to know that you are not the only one experiencing this situation. Try to have patience and find support for yourself.

1 / 3