6 Year Old Knee pain......any Ideas??

Update. She is saying it mostly hurts on the back of her leg, behind her knee. My daughter has been complaining of knee pain off and on for the last week. We will be seeing the doctor today, but wondering if anyone has dealt with this? Seems to be just the knee, painful to the squeeze and difficult to straighten. Motrin helps and it seems to come and go. She is very active but does not remember actually hurting it when the pain started. Thoughts???

First off, don't squeeze it. :-) Have her rest it right now. Motrin is good since it'll reduce pain and swelling. She could easily have sprained it or strained it without remembering having done so especially if she's not having any other joint or muscle pain. Hopefully the doctor will just have her rest it, continue to have her take Motrin, and have her continue to walk as normal (without a lot of physical exertion like climbing or running) until she feels better. He probably won't have her wrap it as wrapping sprains actually weakens the muscles and joints.

Sounds like growing pains.

My little sister had them. We took turns rubbing her legs with Icy Hot and Ben Gay when we were growing up. She actually cried at night because they hurt soooo bad.

Compare the symptoms to Osgood-Schlatter's disease. That's common in tall and athletic kids, but I seem to recall it comes later. Good luck!

Sounds very typically like the symptoms of growing pains. Are they worse after REALLY active days? That's a sure sign.

I don't know if this is true or not, so am not advising you to ignore her pain. But, when I was a kid and had pains of that nature that didn't seem to be explained by any injury, my parents always dismissed them as 'growing pains'. They usually went away within a week or so. My rule of thumb with kids, though, is to err on the 'safe' side and have such pains looked at. There's a difference between having a kid 'tough it out' when they have an injury and you know basically that it's something minor that will go away, and when they have an unexplainable pain.

Growing pains?

Injury/sprain while playing?

Could be anything at that age. Just because she doesn't remember hurting it doesn't mean she didn't. My son has come in with blood running down his leg and didn't know it. They are focused players!!

One twin boy suffered from an early age and it was never consistent - timewise. It always kicked up when he would lay down to go to sleep at night. The doctor said it was growing pains. I suffered myself when I was young. It is good to check it out nonetheless.

V.

My son had a similar complaint and I thought it was growing pains. The next trip we happened to take to the doctor's I mentioned it. Turns out that our pediatrician thinks my son may have a particular type of arthritis because of the pain he complains of in his knee. He will be tested soon to determine. So make sure to be specific about the details. It is not always growing pains.

1 / 3