6 Year Old Excessive Burping

My 6 year old daughter has been burping a lot the last week. To the point that it is painful at times, and she feels they get "stuck in her throat". It doesn't seem to matter what she eats or drinks, everything gets it going. Any suggestions?

Try giving her something warm to drink (even just warm water is fine) right before she eats (or drinks something cold). It will relax her esophagus and stomach muscles and allow the air (or gas) to escape easily without getting trapped. This is an easy, drug-free way to handle it. It works for me - I have problems with my esophagus. (This also works even after one has started eating - but you can avoid the problem altogether if you do it just before she eats). Blessings to you.

It sounds like acid reflux. See her doctor and he can prescribe something for it.

S.,

Take her to the doctor. It sounds like she might have the first stages of indegestion. I have GERD. I remember all the burping and feeling as if they were 'stuck'. That could be bits of food coming up that don't fully come up to her throat. If it is that, you need to get that checked now. The acid coming up with those burbs could eventually hurt her esophogus. Take care of it now, don't wait.

E.

Give her gas drops for kids, if she is having digestive problems this may help. BUT! I would almost guarntee she is purposly swallowing air because she thinks it's funny to burp. My 4 yr old started this about 3 weeks ago and I starting ignoring the behavior and she has stopped doing it as much. I also make her say "Excuse Me" everytime she does it so it takes the novelty off of it as well.
Few questions though..it is after she drinks and/or eats? Maybe she is swallowing too much air while she is doing either. Does she chew with her mouth open? This can cause her to swallow too much air as she is eating as well.

GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) and/or, believe it or not, food allergy that causes EE (Eosinophilic Esophagitis).

My daughter has both problems and when her GERD flares up her burping increases. When she has been exposed to her food allergen (dairy) she does the same. It would be worth taking a visit to the doc for a check-up.

Another problem could be a stomach virus.

Just think, when we drink soda we tend to burp. Why? Soda increases the acid in our stomach and its a natural reflex. GERD, EE, and stomach viruses all affect the acid in our stomach. Therefore it feels like we just drank a glass of soda, except it comes with discomfort.

Your mentioning of "stuck in the throat" raises the flag of the esophagus being irritated by something. When the esophagus gets irritated it can swell like any other part of our body. If that is the case it would require some medicine such as Prevacid and an inhaler for a season. And of course figuring out what is causing the irritation.

All of these issues can be treated. The most difficult is figuring out the culprit. The stomach virus would go away on its own but the other two need treated. That is why it is best to see a doc. God Bless~

Definitely sounds like GERD. Also, I have something called a hiatal hernia I've had since I was a kid that is sometimes painful and makes my food feel like it's getting stuck - because it is. It's a piece of my stomach that has broken off and rides up and down my esophagus....sometimes trapping food. Typically it's only seen in older obese people, but I've got an unexplained case of it.....

Take her to a ped and see if you don't need to be referred to a pediatric gastroenterologist.

I would check with the dr.

talk to your doctor it sounds like a GI problem they may need to do a test where she drinks a milk shake like drink while they wach her on a ct. not painful... doesnt taste so great tho good luck!

1 / 3