6 Weeks Old with Mucus in Throat

Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to get rid of the mucus in my baby's throat? She seems very restless when she sleeps and she spit/vomit alot and I'm thinking it maybe due to the mucus.

And has anyone tried fennel tea for gassy baby?

I am a mom of 5 somethings that have worked for me are, prop a pillow under head of the mattress for elevation, humidifier, saline nose drops followed with a bulb syringe, also a little karo and water in a bottle before bed no milk.

I've never heard of the tea but you can buy a little bottle of gas drops at pretty much any grocery or drug store. Ask any mom, including me, that uses them. THEY'RE A LIFE SAVER!! As for the mucus, I'd see the doctor if it gets worse or doesn't go away.

I'm a first time mom too. My little girl is 6 months. They grow so fast! DON'T BLINK!

I have an 8 week old and she had the same thing at 6 weeks. Her doctor said to give her saline drops. Two in each nostril 3 times a day. You can get them pretty much anywhere there is a pharmacy. It took a while for the mucous to break up but she finally is sounding much better. I am still giving them to her. The brand I used is Ocean.

At 6 weeks old, your pediatrician should not give you any drug to help with the congestion. I have 2 boys, 5 and 2 years old. My oldest had "asthma" issues the 1st 3 years of his life. My youngest got alot of congestion at 2 weeks old and also had colic. Here's what I did.....a friend told me about how her chiropractor, who is trained in pediatrics, helped her colic-y baby. So, I took my colic-y baby to the chiro at 2 weeks of age. The adjustment was simple and totally pain-free. My baby acted like nothing had even happened. He wasn't fussy that day from the colic, and a surprising thing happened. Within an hour of the adjustment, major amounts of congestion started coming out of his nose. It was disgusting! I took him back a couple of days later for another adjustment. The congestion was almost completely gone (I used saline nose spray, too. Simply Saline is my favorite because you can clean the part that goes in the nose and the contents in the can do NOT get contaminated.) The same thing happened w/ the 2nd adjustment----lots of congestion came out, but not near as much, and no colic for a few days. I became a true believer in chiropractic!! I then started taking my 3 year old for adjustments. After 6 months of adjustments, I took him off of his asthma medications (Singulair, a prescription nose spray that I don't remember the name of, breathing treatments w/ Xopenex w/ every single major congestion episode.) For 2 years now, he has not needed one single trip to the doctors' office. With any cold or allergy episode, I either use saline spray or a Neti pot (similar to saline spray except it gets the saline into the sinuses. At any health food store.) He has needed nothing other than that and a few chiro adjustments. No breathing treatments, no more trips to the ER. Sounds crazy, but it works!

And, yes, the throwing up can be from swallowing the congestion. I did not try fennel tea, but I did have alot of luck w/ "colic-ease", a brand of gripe water, prior to finding the chiro.

One last thing....what are you feeding her? If it's breastmilk, you need to look at your diet and cut congestion causing foods such as dairy. If it's formula, consider switching. Milk based formula may be the issue. Dairy definitely contributes to congestion. If she is allergic to soy and is on soy formula, that could be the issue. Goat's milk is the closest in make-up to breastmilk. There is a powdered goat's milk on the market, and I find mine at Whole Foods. If you go that route, just add a whole-food-based multi-vitamin to it. With any milk that you give her, add an Omega-3 supplement such as flax oil or fish oil. Start w/ 1/2 tsp. and go up to 1 tsp. as she gets bigger. It's great for the brain, immune system, and literally hundreds of other things. My pediatrician wants my children on a whole-food-based multi-vitamin and an Omega-3 supplement as a daily routine.

Hi K., Your baby may be alergic to her milk. My grandson is now 2 years old but has been alergic to milk from the start and he gets a lot of mucus when we do give him milk. He loves chocolate milk so we give it to him once every three days or so, but when he was drinking it every day he was vomiting and had a lot of mucus. That was with his formula too. So you may check with your pediatrician, she may need the lactose free formula. I hope this helps. Good luck.
God Bless. L., Texas City

New babys air ways are very very small. Even a small amount of mucus can be really bad. If she / he has some, you should really see a dr. This time of year a tiny cold can turn into rsv really fast. That claims to many lives every year. Go to the pediatrcian and get something from the dr. instead of taking any chances with herbs. I am a firm believer in them after 2 yrs old but not before. hth

My daughter is now 4 months old and we are still battling congestion and spit up like you have described. I finally asked for a referral to an ENT and he gave us nose drops. I am not sure babies at that age can be "allergic" to anything yet, as this would be their first exposure to anything. Work with your doctor and don't be afraid to ask for a referral to an ENT. Ours gave us nose drops that seemed to be working but after a week, she is congested again. We go back next week and I hope it is better by then! We have tried everything - suction, saline, prescription decogenstants, humidifiers, I am nursing so I am dairy free, I went with no white sugar. The list could go on. If you haven't already, call your doctor and see about an ENT. I wish I would have asked 2 months earlier.

They pretty much all sound like that because they cannot clear their throats.

Would discuss it with the pediatrician due to the vomiting "a lot".

Take the baby to the doctor!!!
She is to small for tea right now......

I was brought up with a few home remedies and they have all worked wonders. For congestion: Boil some water, drop a few oregano leaves don't put too much because it will taste very bitter. Just leave them about 2 minutes and then strain the leaves out. Being that he is only 6 wks old you may want to give him like 1-2 ounces morning & night. Once she drinks it turn him over on her tummy and cup your hand and pat (not to hard and not too soft) him on his/her back. And just pat her all over her back she will eventually start spitting up phlem once it starts loosening up.
I have never tried fennel seed but I would give my kids some chamomile tea it will help their tummy's and then I would make a paste with some arm & hammer baking soda & some lard and rub it on their tummys, back and feet. Put some paper towels over it just so they won't get their clothes & socks dirty w/the lard. Then softly grab her ankles and push her legs up to her chest. Repeat until she starts popping like the 4th of July. That will help her get rid of the gas that she has in her tummy. You may also want to consider changing bottles. I switched to the Playtex w/the disposable liners. You can fill it up with the formula and take out all the air. You will see the difference.

P.S. When congested try to keep the baby elevated. Try to keep her sleeping in her car seat as much as possible (taking her out every once in a while so she can rest). This helps for the phlem not to get stuck in her chest. You can suction her nose with saline drops. THis will help tremendously. And if you have a humidifier put it on for her. She will be feeling better in no time.

Hope my tips help you and the baby!

1 / 3