6 Months Pregnant with Flu like Symptoms, Doctor Will Not See Me

I have spoken with two nurses and a doctor and they have all told me to take tylenol and robitussin and not to come into dr. office for check up because they do not want me to get other pregnant mother's sick or myself more sick. This is my third child and I have never heard something so absurd. I would think that I should be seen because of swine flu, h1n1 virus. What advice do you all have for me?

This is very normal. The flu spreads very quickly. Most doctor's offices do not want you coming in. They will generally prescribe medication to treat you based on symptoms. I don't know if you can take tamiflu while pregnant, but that's what they did for my nephew and husband.

Maybe you can suggest that while you understand the situation, could you wear a mask and still be seen?
Good luck and more importantly, I hope you feel better soon!

Go to the emergency room!!!!!!!!!! There have already been at least two women at a "northland" hopital with swine flu AND THEIR BABIES WERE BORN WITH IT AS WELL. This is very serious and it is soooooooooooooooooooooo much better to be safe than sorry. Good luck.

It's' not just your doctor's office. I know it sucks, but even if you go in and get a confirmed diagnosis, the advice is the same. Many pediatricians and family doctors are doing the same thing, for the same reason. They don't want anyone that hasn't been exposed to get exposed. Follow your doctor's advice. Drink plenty of fluids, eat what you feel like you can and get lots of rest. If you get a lot worse, can't breath, can't drink, start vomiting, etc. then go to an emergency room. I know it sucks. The truth is your doctor really can't do much for you and is looking out for everyone else, as well as you. At least by not going in, you can't catch whatever anyone else might have either. Good luck and feel better soon.

I agree with previous posters, with the exception of asking for tamiflu... not sure that is safe during pregnancy, and even if I was told it was, I'd still be hesitant.

H1N1 seems to have milder symptoms than seasonal flu. In addition to rest and fluids, there are homeopathic remedies and supplements that are safe for anyone, including pregnant women and kids. The homeopathic remedy oscillo (www.oscillo.com) is helpful at the onset of symptoms. Probiotics and vit D are pretty much a knock-out punch for the flu viruses. Also, since you are facing third trimester through the winter, I would consider continuing probiotics and Vit D through the remainder of the pregnancy.

Info on research on Vit D and seasonal & H1N1 flu:

http://www.homefirst.com/index.php?option=com_content&amp...

Hope that helps. Be well soon.

Dr. Alyssa

You need to be seen by a doctor as soon as possible. Even if it's a family practioner. You're six months pregnant and this will effect your baby as well. You could also go to another doctor. There may be something else besides that or else they would not be telling you not to come in. I hope it's nothing more than a bad cold coming on. Good luck.

Go to the ER asap. You do not need to put yourself or your baby's life in danger.

did you call your regular doctor? Maybe they will see you. That does sound a little crazy though.

I agree that you should stay home. My family has had 2 bouts with flu like symptoms and each time we were only sick for one day, then felt better. Stay home and sleep, if your symptoms get worse then call the doctor, they understand that you have the flu, but there is no medicine to cure it even the Tamiflu people are talking about doesn't lessen the symptoms. If you read the specs you will be sick with Tamiflu as long as you would if you didn't take it.
Keeping away from others will lessen the flu outbreak and that seems to be the prevailing wisdom this year, stay home and treat unless you have a high fever or it goes on too long, then go to the hospital to be treated.

You did not really say what exactly your syptoms are.
However, below is reccommendations according to the CDC website, take it how you will. A primary care physician would deal with this not necessarily an OB/GYN. If you are treated with antivirals, it is suggested that you do so within 48 hours.

CDC guidelines
•Early empiric treatment with oseltamivir or zanamivir should be considered for persons with suspected or confirmed influenza who are at higher risk for complications including:
◦Children younger than 2 years old;
◦Persons aged 65 years or older
◦Pregnant women
◦Persons of any age with certain chronic medical or immunosuppressive conditions (see page 3); and,
◦Persons younger than 19 years of age who are receiving long-term aspirin therapy.

In our area, some of the schools have been hit hard already with the flu both with confirmed H1N1 and H1N1 negative. Pregnant women are supposed to be at a higher risk group. However, I have not studied what that actual risk is.

Personally, I would avoid the ER, if you weren't sick already you are more likely to catch something.

You need to get to the Dr. immediately!!!! They are being very ignorant of the situation if they will not see you. Are you running a fever? If so, all the more reason to get in. You need to start on Tamiflu immediately. I am not trying to scare you but if you do indeed have the flu, it can be very serious when pregnant. Did you see the news last week? I am an ICU nurse and we just had a mom with H1N1 who had an emergent section and then went to ICU. She passed away about 1 month later. This is not to scare you but to make the docs do something! There are masks available at the entrance to most hospitals and doctors offices. Putting one on would be the responsible thing to do and no other mommies will not need to worry. You should wear one also to protect yourself. Please be your own advocate, for your own sake and your baby. If you get nowhere with your OB or your FP doc, by all means go to the ED. Even if your flu swab comes back negative you may still have the flu. They majority of the tests are giving false, negatives. Good luck and please keep us updated. I hope that you get to feeling better!

1 / 3