6 Months Pregnant-pain in Pelvis Area

Hi! I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I am about 6 months pregnant with my second child (my first is 7) and I am 35 this time. For about 3 weeks I have had this pain very low, below my stomach, every time I lift a leg or try to get out of the car or a chair. It isn't a stabbing pain, but feels like I went to the gym and overworked a muscle (which I have not!). It's just annoying more than anything since I am pretty active with my daughter and job as an elementary school teacher. THANKS!

I had this also. I think it is just from the muscles losening. I have 4 kids and I think it was worse with the last ones then with the first. Each child sits differently, so the muscles are affected differently. There is a belt like device that helps,kinda like a belly ace bandage. You probably should discuss any pain with you doctor. That way you can rule anything serious.

I am not a medical professional, but this sounds painfully familiar. It sounds like pubic symphisis disorder, which occurs when the cartilage in between your pubic bones becomes overly relaxed and allows your bones to move more than they should. This is good for labor and bad for comfort. A yoga teacher once told me that it is actually possible to tell how many children a woman has had simply by looking at her pelvis and the shape of her cartilage. In women with this disorder, our cartilage is simply too relaxed by relaxin. I have read that it can worsen with subsequent pregnancies, especially if one is caring for a toddler.
I had this issue the last four month of my pregnancy with my daughter. It is constant and nagging and was, at times, practically debilitating. But please do not worry or be scared. One of the best things in this situation is consistent exercise-- which you need anyway when you are pregnant. Actually, I have several suggestions: 1) research pubic symphisis disorder-- it is not uncommon. 2) REGULAR prenatal yoga and daily stretching are very, very helpful as is regular physical activity. If you do not stretch and move your body regularly, you will tighten up and experience more pain. 3) When getting in and out of bed or the car, move with your legs together-- this helps a lot in terms of avoiding stabbing pains. It really helps to keep your legs together. 4) I have heard that regular chiropractic care can be very helpful as well. Some swear by regular adjustments.
5) A lot of people have not heard of this. DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU THAT IT IS JUST A NORMAL PAIN OF PREGNANCY AND MAKE YOU FEEL BAD ABOUT HOW YOU ARE "DEALING." Just do your best to take care of yourself and to get that essential regular exercise.
I hope that this helps and that you start to feel better very, very soon.
Bless you!
T

Hi H.,

Most likely it is just your pelvic ligaments stretching. But, if you feel the need, talk to your doctor.

Congratulations on little Charlie coming in April!

It could just be your ligaments stretching. I know they seemed to hurt more with my second pregancy than with my first.

However, I had pain in my groin area for quite a while before noticing there was a bump, about the size of a golf ball, only there when I would stand up. Turns out I had a hernia. I guess it's common in pregnancy.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Oh god do I no where your coming from. I was pregnant 2 years ago with my second child and I still remember the pain. I was 34 years old and I felt like if I was laying on my side there was no way to get my leg up it hurt soooo bad. It almost felt like the baby was just resting right there. I felt like that almost the whole pregnancy. I complained to the Dr. and I had the baby 18 day's early by C-Section. And he's a healthy baby boy.. My first child was a girl, so I just thought it was different because he's a boy?

H.,
This sounds all too familiar to me... And sadly, my experience was not wonderful. I had this same pain that started in my pubic bone area during my last trimester (second pregnancy). At first, it was just annoying. Then it got worse and worse every week. It was mostly when I got out of the car or got out of bed. For some reason, it was worse for me in the morning. It hurt really bad when i made any "scissor" movements with my legs. It also hurt when my doctor pushed on it. Finally it got to the point at the end of my 7th month that my pubic bone would pop in and out of place when I moved wrong and sometimes while i was walking. My doctor told me that I had PSD (pubic symphisis dysfunction) and explained that my ligaments had basically stretched too much and my pubic bone had become displaced. The pain got so bad during the ninth month making it impossible to care for my toddler by myself while my husband was at work. We induced a week early and the pain stopped as soon as my son was born. I absolutely HAD to have an epidural though, because without it, the birth would have been excruciating.
You may not have PSD, but it sounds awfully familiar, based on what I went through. It was my sixth month, second pregnancy and started just as you described. My doctor also told me that once you have PSD, it will likely get worse with each pregnancy. It has made me rethink having a third soon.
I would definately talk to your doctor about this and do some research on PSD symptoms on the internet. Let me know what you find out. If it does end up being PSD, let me know. It gets frustrating and NO ONE understood what I was going through.

H.,
I had similar pains and I forget what it is called, but it was nothing to worry about. It was basically a ligament stretching or something like that. I would always suggest asking your doctor though. Since you are 35, I assume you are seeing a perinatologist and an OB - ask either. You don't have to wait for your next appointment for the reassurance, just give either office a call and describe the pain. I would bet it's nothing, but having a doctor tell you that means a whole heck of a lot more!!

Dear H., I went through this during my last two pregnancies, it was worst during the last one. I had my babies in Sweden and the latin word is: symphysiolysis, a pregnancy-related pelvic girdle pain. On some women the pelvic bones needs to be opened more than others to prepare for labor. I do understand your pain, but it's nothing to worry about. The best way for your to endure the pain is to try keep you legs together as much as possible. I wore a pregnancy belt around my hips, it helped tremendously. I don't know where you can get it here in the US. But it was basically a large rubber band wrapped tight around my hips. I agree with Tarosa J's answer.(See below)she mention a lot of good things. After the labor, your hips will get better and back to normal again. I'm a triathlete and don't have any problems any longer. I wish you the best of luck and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I am 5 months pregnant, 32 years old with my first child. I have been working out daily...either the elliptical or the treadmill...still gaining a lot of depressing weight. But, I also have this pain on my right leg..it goes down the front and especially in the top part of the leg near hip/pelvis. I also have it in back a bit. It hurts to push down my pedal in car when driving sometimes and my leg goes tingly. I went to the doc on dec. 26th and she said the baby is probably on that side and lower...pinching some nerves. She was right, when we looked the baby is hanging out on that lower right side. But, about the pain. She said maybe laying off of working out so the nerves don't get more inflammed and irritable. She also said see if your husband can massage that area and low back to help ease pain, other than that...wait it out! It is probably ligaments that are stretching in the front of the pelvis, is also what she said...nothing you can do about it.
-Kim P.

1 / 3