6 Months Old Daughter Always Has Her Tongue Out

My 6 months old daughter ALWAYS has her tongue sticking out and she's done it since birth. She's meeting all her milestones and is alert and curious. But has anyone experienced this?

My son did this- he actually sucked on his tongue while it was out, like a comfort thing. He did it until about 6 months ago- he is now 6 years old! He did have some speech delays which "may" have been related to the tongue sucking, but he has totally caught up to all his age-appropriate milestones and is doing great in school. I wouldn't worry about it...

My nephew has been and is still the same way. He's two now and it hasn't stopped him. He is very bright and fun.

Hi, my daughter is 6 months old and she has her tongue out all the time since birth as well. It was a concern to me so I mentioned it to her pediatrition she said that she thought her tongue was fine but she would refer to a ENT anyway. We went to see the ENT he stuck his finger down her throat during the exam. He said he could feel something. He said it could be a cyst or her thyroid may not have drop down like it should have. He said something definitely is pushing her tongue out and it need to be looked at ASAP, so he sent her to another ENT that he felt was able to handle her situation better. Monday she is going for a MRI and I'll find out something. I would say something to your baby's dr to make sure it's nothing to worry about.

I played with my tongue constantly, and it was out all the time when I was a baby. I eventually earned the family nickname "Charlie", based on a character in the book Flowers for Algernon. The older I got, the less it stuck out. I met all my milestones and had a normal childhood. I attended school all the way through college graduation, and and am now a mother of a handsome 7-year old son and beautiful 5-year old daughter.

My kids had big tongues as babies - but their mouths grew and everything is fine - NON STOP TALKERS! ;)

Later on you might check with an orthodontist to see if it's a tongue thrust. If it is, it's no big deal because there is therapy to fix it.

Hey! My nephew did the same thing, accept his tongue would stick out to the side and up. But he did it for almost a year, he's a little over two now and we haven't seen the tongue for almost a year now! So, not to worry. The doctor explained it and said his tongue has grown faster than his mouth so its easier for him to let it out then keep it in all scrunched up. Weird but apparently it was true!

HI K., I agree with LP, it's sounds like it may be tongue thrust. I'm not sure how early they will identify it. I would talk to your pediatrician. Watch to see where her tongue is when she is drinking, eating, and swallowing. If she is mashing her food with the body of her tongue and the tip is still out, when she uses her bottle and you can see her putting pressure on the nipple with the tongue more toward the middle, and especially watch her when she initiates a swallow to see if you can still see the tongue tip as well as the tongue pushing forward/outward, all these things may be signs of a tongue thrust. Good Luck.
As LP said, if necessary, there is therapy available to help that when she is older called myofunctional therapy. This site gives more detailed information about tongue thrust and therapy if that is what you are in fact dealing with: www.hear-more.com/myofunctional.htm

1 / 3