6 Month Old with Sinus Congestion

My 6 month old son CONSTANTLY has horrible sinus congestion. The Peds tell us to continue with saline drops and the nasal aspirator. Well, I do that about 5-8 times a day and it really dosnt help. It's like his congestion is in the back of this throat/sinus cavity. HELP! I am sure we are working up a second ear infection due to this congestion. Any suggestions?

The back of the throat means drainage from sinus, which could be from the saline drops. Continue it though, as it does help - it would be worse without them. Also get something to put more liquid in the air that he breathes.

Breatmilk does have antibioics in it and y pediatrition even recommended that dropping it it thier ear or eye can clear up infecton.

how long has he been like this? this is like the worst thing in infants. little noses aslso has a aresol saline which i like better. my son used to freak out when i had to pin him down. it was hard for me to get more than one drop in. but the aresol if you sit the child up as you do it, just gets everything to flow right oout. and not down the throat which can make them more annoyed. but now that my son is 12months i started to think maybe he has a mold or mildew allergy. so i started using a DE-humidifier in his room when he wasn't in there and it has cured the problem completely. i run the dehumidifier like 4 hours a day two hours after he wakes up and two hours after his nap. i dont know it worked for me. also make sure his room isn't to warm. i noticed to my kids get congestion if they are at their dads how with gas heat. (comes out of the ceiling) warm air blowing down on you will do it too. shut his vent slightly and dress him warmer. if it is warm the congestion cant flow. good luck
P.

If he is constantly truly having "sinus infection", then apparently whatever antibiotics he has been placed on have not cured the problem. If, however, he is having lots of mucus formation constantly and it continuously is turning into an infection, that's a little different story. In that case, you need to address whatever is causing the mucus formation to begin with, and that could easily be an allergic reaction to something like milk. You don't say, but is he on regular formula or soy or what? If on regular, try him on soy. If that doesn't improve things, try some other non-milk formulas. If none of this is something you think could be the problem, then insist on having him seen by an ENT specialist.

Does his Ped know why he keeps staying congested? After time, the aspirator can start to irratate the inside of his noes which will lead to problems later down the road. If they don't know why he is like then, then a trip to the ENT is in order!

Make sure you have clean air filters in the HVAC. Try a humidifier if you don't already and if you do already, make sure that it is CLEAN and the filter is clean -- that you aren't spewing nasties into his room via humidifier. And continue with the saline. It stinks but your options are few. Oh, and keep him well hydrated -- keeps the mucus less thick.

If your worried about the congestion in the ears and chest, you may want to try a wedge in the crib. It elevates the head a little. You can find them in baby stores or baby sections of stores.

I would suggest seeing if your son has reflux. Both of my children suffered from it. I have a 4 year old and a almost 6 month old. They both were/are on Zantac and it helps immensely. They had the same symptoms you are describing.The heavy congestion in the back of the throat, but no runny nose. It always seemed like they were clearing their throats or coughing to clear it away. My 6 month old would get noticeably more congested when he is hungry or when he has tummy time when he is laying down flat. That's when I figured it out. The reflux was coming all the way up into his sinuses and irritating them and making them drain. I went to the dr and they confirmed it. You could always try that and see if he gets better.

Have you tried a Chiropractor? My nephew's baby had stomach problems and ear problems. The Doctors kept telling him they would eventually have to put tubes in his ears. Well his wife, did not want to have to do that so they took him to a Chiropractor. After the first adjustment, his ears started draining properly. And the stomach problems were from a twisted colon. Which they massaged and rolled it back into place. Not sure where you live, but Dr. Joe Esposito is in Marietta, Georgia and he is wonderful. If you are not near him he may be able to refer you to someone. Dr. Joe believes that babies need to be adjusted after they are born because of the travels in the birth canal. He is Board certified Chiropractic, Pain Management, Nutrition, etc. He has been around for over 20 years. I would suggest you visit his website and give him a call. It could also be a food allergy. My oldest sister stayed congested and had the colic for her first months until my Mom took her to a Chiropractor...many years ago before Alternative Medicine was ever recognized and she was allergic to milk. They had to give her Goat's milk and believe it or not, Coke syrup. Back then you could get Coke syrup from the Drug Store..it stopped the colic. Hope that helps! B.

Have you thought about taking your baby to Ear Nose Throat Dr. Having a clean-air machine in the babys room and humidifer in room. Wish you well.

My son kept sinus congestion/allergies. We put a humidifier in his room and put him on Zyrtec at 6 months old. That helped alot. Also, we stopped giving him milk until it cleared up because milk produces more mucus. The humidifier will help break that mucus apart and make it thinner. Good Luck

1 / 3