6 Month Old Wakes up Almost Every Hour

My DS is 6 months old and has been waking up almost every hour for the last 4 weeks. I tried the cry it out (ferber) method last week for about 5 mins but could not bear to hear my baby cry. After that, for the next few days every time I lay him down he would cry it out. He is drooling a lot but not teething. I did take out his swaddle when he first started waking up every hour because his arms would wake him up. However, now it's not the arms anymore. He would just cry out and want to be held for a few minutes and then I would lay him down and pat him until he sleeps. By the way, he sleeps with us in bed. I dont know what the problem is anymore. He used to sleep so well. He only eats twice during this whole nigh. I am like a zombie now. =( I am not willing to try cry it out again because he really seemed to be frightened from it since the last time I tried it.

FOLLOW UP: Last night, my DS had a fever because of his shots. I gave him infant tylenol and before I knew it, he slept the whole night. He only woke up at 5:30am to eat.

Thanks for all the advice. His sleeping habits has gotten better a little. He only cries every hour for the first 2 hours that he sleeps. After that, he doesnt cry when he wakes up and eats at 3am and then 5:30am which is his normal schedule from before. What we changed was his napping habits, he naps less now and is not carried when he naps. I still dont understand why he cries when he wakes up at the beggining of the night.

did you start feeding him food? Perhaps he is allergic to something.

It is not normal to wake up that much.

If it is 'just' teething, then I recommend Hylands homeopathic gel/tablets and for really bad cases use the amazing Gumomile oil.

I see that you have many comments! I hope some have given some bit of relief for you! Really, I would try Tylenol for a few days, maybe baby ambasol, teething tablets. It is hard to see teeth coming in....

Hi! I had a baby girl that cried the same way and I took her to a lovely doctor and she tole me that since the baby had a troubled delivery she, brain wise was still in the "womb" traveling down the channel, and that eventually she would grow out of it and then I had one that had colic real bad, as I had as a baby and was up all through the night I did not put her in bed with us but I did sleep in her crib or in the guest room and then would take her back to her bed as she fell asleep, I lost a lot of sleep but as it is said ... This too shall pass like labor pains.

any book that asks a mother to overcome her natural instincts to comfort her child is total b.s. i'm sorry, who said babies should sleep through the night? its great if they do naturally. but always remember a baby's most important emotional need at this age is to attach to another human being strongly.

babies go through fussy periods, when they get up quite a lot during the night for a few weeks for no apparent reason. my daughter did the same thing, i thought for sure she was teething several times, when the fussiness would go away with no teeth to show for it. but what would remain was the trust between us that when she cried, i would respond. that's babies first experiment in communication, how they start to feel not so helpless in the world. "when i cry, my mom responds. i can get my needs met."

yes, you can have a child that sleeps through the night using the ferber (or any other similar) method. what you have as a result is an insecure baby who gives up trying to communicate with its mother.

I relate to what you are going through. In his first year, my son woke up 10-12 times per night and, as you described, I was a walking zombie. It was awful! I eventually discovered he was (is) allergic (not life threatening) to wheat, dairy, and corn and was, of course, getting all those foods through my breast milk and then through solids after six mos of age. Sleep problems are one of the more common symptoms associated with food allergies in children. Believe me, before we discovered he was allergic we tried everything. He has always slept with us, so, thinking maybe we were disrupting his sleep I tried putting him in a crib, putting him in a different room, adding more clothes, taking off some of his clothes, opening a window, putting music on...nothing improved things.

So, I'm not sure what my input is other than consider all thinks related to diet, read up about it....or write me. It is becoming very common anymore for our children to have food allergies. And some of it is inherited. I find it interesting that he slept the whole night after receiving tylenol. That suggests that he might be having some pain and the tylenol relieved it (digestive pain can occur with food allerigies)...or perhaps the vaccine wiped him out. The doctors will likely tell you he will grow out of it or that co-sleeping is the cause,(I hate that answer....it is so pat and ignorant.) but listen to your heart. If you know it is not normal, trust that in yourself. There is an answer, you just have to be willing to look hard enough.

I am a mom of two girls (27 and 29) and a g'ma to three beautiful grandbabes (4,2 and 3 mo). Throw that darned Ferber book in the trash!!! Our daughter tried it with her first born and she regrets it. So does g'ma!! My personal feelings are that babies cry for a reason and while still infants they should never be ignored. How sad!! Don't get me wrong, there will come a time when you may have to let him cry and you will know when that is (two year old tantrums come to mind). I hope it will never be a routine! And I also hope you won't leave him with a sitter to do it!! Knowing how it makes you feel imagine how someone who does not love him will act. J., your instincts as his mom are the best guidance you can use. Patting, singing and rocking always worked for us. I do agree that having him sleep in his own bed is a good idea for him and you and your husband. We also had our babes in bed with us for the first few months...it was just so much easier to nurse!!I think they were about 4 months old when we stopped having them in bed...when they started sleeping thru the night. As they got older I loved it when our girls climbed in bed with us and I would wake and have them cuddled next to me! I miss those years! The years go by sooo fast. Enjoy them! And having grands is the very best!!!! They now crawl in bed with me and we have cereal (dry) in bed and watch cartoons when they stay over :)
Meemaw

I found this book to be a godsend: "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" by Pantley. It talks about how to teach your little one to sleep without having to cry it out. It also describes all the reasons a baby might be wakeful.

BTW, if you're breastfeeding, the baby will wake more frequently. That's normal. Keep the baby close so you can respond and still get some sleep. I worked too. Both of my sons decided that if the Breastaurant was available only at night, THAT's when they would eat (kept me from having to pump as often, but meant that they woke more frequently). Still, every hour is excessive. And the book really will help.

Don't give into the "just let him cry" crowd. Babies cry for a reason, and you don't want to teach him that communicating with you is useless.

DEAR J. C;
I AM VERY CONCERN ABOUT YOUR BABY I THINK YOU SHOULD CONSULT WITH YOU PEDEATRICIAN ABOUT YOUR BABYS PROBLEM.
SOMETIMES WE THINK IF WE PICK UP THE BABY BECAUSE THEY ARE CRYING,OR IF WE LET THEM CRY THAT IS BAD FOR THEM. WELL THE BIGEST MISTAKE THAT I MAKE WAS TO PICK MY BABY UP. BABY CRY FOR DIFFERENT REASONS WHEN THERE WET, HUNGRY, TIRED OR WHEN THEY GET USE TO BEEN PICK UP AND PUT IN YOUR BED SO IF YOU GIVE INTO THERE NEEDS YOU ARE GOING TO PAY THE CONSEQUENCES.
IF YOUR DOCTOR DOES'T FIND ANYTHING WRONG WITH YOUR BABY JUST CONSIDER YOUR NOT ALONG WITH THIS PROBLEMS BABYS DO THIS VERY OFFTEN BECAUSE WE DO ANYTHING TO KEEP THEM HAPPY.
GOOD LUCK IF YOU NEED TO TALK WITH ME PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT
____@____.com Anna Leger

Are you feeding your little one with formula? It sounds to me like maybe it could be a discomfort from formula.

He is hungry I bet, are you feeding him vegetables? These are solid and fill the little cavity, which will make him sleepy, try and see.

Yours, E. H

All the symptoms you describe sound like teething. Talk to your doctor so you can decide the best way to ease his pain. Mine suggested the Orajel swabs and Tylenol when our daughter was really inconsolable.

BTW, I noticed some people took the opportunity to add another worry to your list-immunizations. There is a movement out there that is against them, but the research is still inconclusive. This is a decision you should arm yourself to make, but it is your decision. A good source is your doctor. Of course, I'm assuming you interviewed, selected, and are now happy with him/her. If that's true, he will be able to help you make educated decisions about immunizations.

1 / 3