6 Month Old Not Sleeping Well After Introducing Green Beans

My 6 month old recently started on solids. He's been eating rice cereal now for a few weeks. He's had a week of sweet potatoes, and two days ago we started green beans. Well, ever since the green beans, he's been waking at night EVERY TWO HOURS like clockwork and needs help getting back to sleep. He's never been a sleep-completely-through-the-night baby, but we usually get at least 3 1/2 to 4 hours at a stretch.
Here's our typical menu:
breast milk/formula on demand all day every day.
lunch: rice cereal
dinner: rice cereal and vegetable (sweet potato or green beans)
We did cook our own sweet potato and blended it up with breast milk. He loved it. He also loves the green beans (french cut, organic, boiled and blended in the water they cooked in). I'm sure it's the green beans as nothing else has changed.
Question is, should I stop feeding him the green beans? If so, how and when do I re-introduce them? Would it help his sleep if I feed him the "new" veggie at lunch rather than dinner?

Wow! So many responses and I appreciate every one of them! Well, I cut out the green beans and that helped. I gave him squash last night and he slept from 10:30 to 7! Hmmm. One responder said that there's no science to parenting -- and I have to agree! So we'll just re-introduce the green beans in a few weeks at lunchtime instead. Who knows what may happen? Thanks so much for all the help. It really feels good to know that we're all in this together!

I'd say cut the green beans back out and see if it helps (maybe they give him uncomfortable gas?), if not, then it's not the green beans and maybe it's teething?

I have two children of my own and work in a day care that haschildren ages 6 weeks to 6 yr. I would try to switch from rice cereal to oatmeal and see what happends. Some time the rice can make them have truble going to the bathroom.

I think that's pretty obvious. STOP the green beans and see if the sleep patterns change. If they do......there is your answer. If so, give it 6-8 weeks and try again. IF this does not solve it.....you obviously need to look elsewhere. Maybe try a different brand.

DO NOT overlook chemicals, preservatives, dyes, in any food that may be causing the problem.

Hello, B.. I have a two year old son and a baby on the way. My thoughts and questions, based on my own experience as a mom are as follows: Have you made any other changes around this time, independent of the green beans, that could be affecting his sleep patterns - change in routine, your own diet as a breast-feeding mom, sleep location, etc? If so, this could be what is causing the change in sleep. Second, maybe you could talk with your healthcare provider about/research signs of food allergies. I'm not a doctor, but this might be worth your while, since he has had such a seemingly drastic change in his sleep pattern since the start of a new food item. Also, I have found as a parent that experimentation is often a necessity when determining what works for your own child. Try offering the green beans at the lunch feeding, as you mentioned, instead of at dinner. Maybe try cutting off the green beans completely for a week and see if his sleep improves. Parenting is not a science, I have found, but we sure can share what we know and learn from trial and error. Good luck!

Hi, B. your being such a good momma. I have to say being the mother of 4 children ages 12, 8, 5, and 3 I have been there. My last one as I started introducing solids it was trial and error. I like the last post by Rebecca trust your instincts she's absolutely right. Beans in any form cause gas and thats what it sounds like, I don't think its teething because it sounds too coincidental with you starting a new food. Stop the green beans now. Reintroduce in about a month try some other foods that are gentler like the oranges, carrots all of that fun stuff. Oh and what fun your mashing up your own I did that with first and second after the third I tried to buy organic, but just bought beechnut cause it was the cheapest with coupons too. Good luck, sounds like your a successful momma too. Also feed him like you feed you. Breakfast at breakfast new food at lunch or dinn-dinn and see if that helps. You eat when he eats so he gets used to the family schedule as much as possible. Another tip don't do too much at a time, do one thing at a time the digestive tract can be screwy so try one thing at a time than add on other veggies and meats eventually. Oh and don't introduce a new food on the day your going somewhere special like meeting family at a function. This happened to me and the whole day my son screamed because I gave him the new food, was sooo gassy, so it ruined our good time. Hope that I've helped, your on the right track and always trust that inner voice. Good Luck. P.S. I know this is off subject, but if you are introducing juices, introduce them in the cup, he'll get used to it after awhile and down the road you don't have to break him so much from the boob/bottle he'll do it himself because he'll have the cuppy. I did this with all 4 of my kids breast milk came from breast, formula came from bottle, juice came from cup, if he doesn't get it right away or is not ready like he just can't suck or figure it out keep doing it and he'll get it. Starting at 4-6 months with all of my kids they were on the cup right after they were introduced to milk. Just food for thought.

I don't think it has to do with the green beans. From what my ped told me babies go thru growth spirts 3, and 6 weeks, 3 mo, 6 mo, nine month...I'd say it has more to do with teething, growing... The cereal and formula have a lot of carbs and sugar in them... Baby needs carbs but the same thing that happens to us as adults. If we eat alot of carbs, think about the last time you ate fast food or junk food a few hours later you are hungry again... same thing happens to babies. In other words I wouldn't cut out the nutrients unless the baby is breaking out into a rash...

Our pediatrician recommended starting any new food in the morning or after nap. I guess kids are most likely to try something new when they're fully rested. I would move the food around a little bit. Try the green beans in the afternoon or morning, or just back off on them all together. You can always try another green veggie in their place.

Hi - I recommend you stop the green beans - could be an allergy/reflux type situation. If you stop it for a while, give him another food, verify if his reaction stays the same, That way you isolate it to know if it is the beans for sure. My 14-mth old reacted to the Gerber peas in similar manner. I switched it to something else, symptoms went away then after 1 week I tried the peas again and same thing. So I was able to determine that was the culprit. Good luck.

1 / 3