6 Month Old Not Pooping

Hi. My baby has only had one tiny poop for almost four days. He is 6 months and only breast fed. He has been doing fine but now seems to be in some pain/discomfort every now and again. I am massaging his belly but don't know what else to do. Please advise. Thanks!

Day five, warm baths, belly rubs and he pooped big time! Thanks everyone for great info. I will file it away. I have to say it feels great to be in touch with so many moms and supported by the community. Thanks again and blessings to everyone!

Call the pediatrician on-call at the hospital or doctor's office. They are there to answer questions like this! Or call a pharmacist to ask them. My son went through this a few times, also exclusively breastfed, and I was so sleep deprived I don't remember now what the doctor told us to do, but I know that I was always calling them for help and they were always very nice and helpful.

My son had the same problem and I was told that breast milk can sometimes constipate. The doctor told me to use supositories. The infant size and if you can't find them you can cut an adult size one for the child. Also we were put on Oatmeal for the extra fiber.

Hi K.

This may sound funny but what my older sister told me to do when my baby couldnt poop was to do the bicycle. You lay the baby flat on the back, pick up the legs and move them in a bicycle motion. It seemed to work for my girl.

I remember that I had a similar concern with my baby around that age. What I have learned is that babies can use every part of breastmilk, so if they need those calories (e.g. during a growth spurt), they won't need to pass any of it, hence the lack of poop for days and days. At this point, I wouldn't worry.

Baby could be dehydrated, so you may want to ask your doctor if they would recommend giving baby a few ounces of water each day, especially during the hot months. My doctor did recommend that.

Very normal in a breastfed baby. They can go a week without pooping and have it be very normal. The hard thing is being ready for the blowout! Is he eating solids at all yet? If so, certain things could be slowing down his system. If not, try prune juice as suggested. No more than 4 ozs is just fine to give them. Gerber makes it in a nice 4oz container. My daughter is/was only breastfed and dealt with this while being just fine. Good luck and congrats on nursing.

My pediatrician says 4 days of no poop is okay..even 6 days. But if you're really concerned or something seems off, call your pediatrician.

Some other things you can do to help him out include giving him a small amount of diluted prune juice. At six months he could try to begin eating some purees, give him some fruit like apple and perhaps simple veggies like carrot. Avoid pears and bananas, they are binding. Broccoli and Cauliflower cause gas and bloating. He won't need much to get things moving. Avoid suppositories. They cause more trouble than good.

As for yourself, since you're breastfeeding, you probably already know what you eat can affect baby too. Take inventory of what you've been eating too. If you've eaten alot of dairy or other foods that are binding, too spicy or gaseous, your breastmilk will affect him too.

Last but not least, a warm wash cloth on the tummy or any sort of mildly warm compress on his tummy will give him some relief as well.

Dr. Sears has a great book titled "The Fussy Baby Book" and while your son isn't necessarily fussy, he may benefit from the chapter that highlights several "tummy soothing" massage techniques and positions that a parent can use when holding or trying to soothe baby. Sears says they're not only excellent for babies with GIRD, but for children who might be constipated or have mild tummy discomfort. You might find some of these online too...or try searching for words such as "the clutch hold" or "colic and hold positions".

UPDATE: HERE'S A SITE I JUST FOUND THAT EXPLAINS SOME OF THESE HOLDS.
http://www.thelaboroflove.com/forum/homeo/colic.html

He might be gassy too, so perhaps gas drops.

Hope some of these ideas help.

My sons doctor told me to rub his stomach clock wisw but to make sure I'm putting a little pessure when doing it. So I put him on his back and just taked or played with him whie O did it and by doing that he didn'r really pay attention to what I was doing. Try it or my sister told me to buy baby apple juice put 1oz of that with 3oz of water that reallt worked for my nephew and sometimes for my sone. But my aunt told me to put a tablespoon of cyro syrup in his formula or breast milk and that reallty worked for my son. And my other sister gave my other nephew prune juice and he actually was on that daily to keep him regular and that seem to really work for him. We had to get man maid medicine for my son and that was the only thing that really worked for my son its called enulose syrup. Every baby is different with what works I feel for you and wish you the nest of luck. Hope your precious baby feels better soon.

Our son had similar issues and continues to have issues now that he is 2. We would put approx. 1 oz of prune juice in one bottle of milk (I would pump enough to have at least that much each day) he was breastfed until 1 year and we did start solids at 4.5 - 5 mo.

Linda

When I asked about this I was told that often babies use every drop of the breastmilk so there may not be much poo. Is he weeing ok?

When I put mine on solids that was when he was in discomfort and as I suffer from IBS I was not prepared to put him though that and so went back to fully bf until he started 'stealing' food :) ie goign up to our plates and taking it :)

My bf account on www.a-little-wish.co.uk (old site) good luck and enjoy - fully bf a magical time :)

I would call your pediatrician first, or if you have a help line they will go through questions with you to determine what the cause could be for not pooping....

Hi K.

1 / 3