6 Month Old Has Been Tilting Her Head to Side....

Curious if anyone has had this issue. My 6 month old daughter seems to randomly tilt her head to the left every once in awhile. She does it enough for me to notice and think that is kind of weird. She hasn't been tugging at her ear, so I'm pretty sure it is not an ear infection. Anyone have any ideas....?

My son, when he was little, had ear infections.

He never cried, fussed or pulled at his ear, but, he did tip his head.
That was why I took him to the Dr.and was how I found out about the ear being infected.

Good Luck,

M.,

My daughter started doing this at around 6 months as well. Now at 10 months, she tilts it randomly to both sides. I guess I just thought she was looking at the world from a different angle. I haven't really worried about it. She has never had an ear infection or been sick at all really, except a few runny noses when she was teething. Of course you can look into what the other ladies said, but if it's just random and every once in a while, it's probably just exploration and curiosity.

A.

Is she smiling when she does it or playing as if she is being sweet or cute?
Make sure the dr knows when you go to your next visit. Let him see it. That will be the oppinion that matters.

She could have an eye coordination problem, and tilting can help her use both eyes together. The American Optometric Association recommends an eye examination at 6 months of age to assess eye teaming, eye tracking, eye focusing, and eye health. Your pediatrician cannot assess these abilities. An optometrist or ophthalmologist has the skills to evaluate your daughter. There is a free examination program called InfantSee that provides a free, comprehensive examination to infants up till the age of 1 year. Find your local participating practitioner by logging onto the website: www.infantsee.org Best wishes, K.

Good Luck,

I wouldn't take any chances at this age...take her to the Dr..

Hi i would ask the peds about it. My daughter was checked for that as well she favored one side and it could be something i forgot what it is called but basically its a muscle issue and can be easily fixed with pt i was told. But she actually corrected on her own.

Hope its nothing!

My youngest daughter did the same thing.........and it turned out to be NOTHING. I remember feeling like something HAD to be wrong with her. I'd obsess everytime she did it!!!!!! Took her to the doctor and they assured me it was nothing. (She is now 17 months and stopped doing it around 11 months)

Try not to worry too much about it!!! They are just experimenting every day and it is probably a new sensation or way of seeing things for her! Also know that teething can cause them do do a lot of STRANGE things with their head/mouth etc......my daughter also walks around with both fingers in her ears sometimes, smiling. Doc said it is because her teeth are bugging her and it probably allevaites some of the pressure and/or pain.

Just to be sure though, I would take her to the doctor and have things checked out as I'm sure it COULD be a symptom of something! I have learned though that mother's intuition is usually right......if she seems happy, healthy and otherwise un-affected, it is probably something she will grow out of!

Good luck though!

I have had the same issue with my daugther. I do not remember when she started but she tilted her head to the left. We have no probelms and every once in a while she will do it. I do not think it is anything to be concerned about.

R.

1 / 3