6-Month-old Suddenly Crying Every Time He Is Laid Down

My 6-month-old baby boy is suddenly unhappy and crying every time he is laid down for anything - diaper changes, feeding, playtime, etc. He will cry until he is sat up or picked up, but is happiest being held (he has always been fine playing on the floor before, and has not been a previously fussy baby). He has been sick recently (fever and cough), but seems to be recovered from that. He is still breastfeeding mostly full-time, and has hardly been eating the last few days (we lay down to feed because he is a very heavy baby); tried a bottle this morning and he drank that fine. Has anyone had this experience at this age, and did you find any solutions, or did they eventually move past this stage? And could this possibly be related to teething (he has no teeth yet)? I am at a loss, and am thankful for any suggestions.

Thank you to everyone who responded. He started eating fine again, but I will call the doctor if he continues to fuss when being laid down. I didn't realize that ear infections could cause discomfort while laying down and eating. From your responses and my own observations, I think there must be a few things going on at once - sick, teething, and the 6 mos. old sudden need to be held. We have thought he was teething for awhile now, so I will definitely try the homeopathic teething tablets to test if that is one of the problems - I didn't know you could do that. No matter what happens, I feel better just knowing that other parents have gone through similar situations with their babies.

Have you considered teething? it happens about 6 months. And babies are very unhappy when they teeth. They want to be held and all routines are not what they want.

My first thought was an ear infection. I have a couple boys who had frequent infections as babies, and this was often the exact way it manifested. I was always suspicious if they were fussy a week or two after having a cold, especiallly if laying them down made them worse.

My second boy has had a ROUGH time of teething. It seems to take FOREVER to get those teeth in, so maybe that's your little guy's problem. Have you tried a homeopathic treatment of Chammomila? It helps my kids. Just give him a couple of pellets every half hour until he calms down.

Another idea is just letting him yell a bit. My boys seem to need and like it alot. Maybe it feels manly to them or something. ;D

Don't worry, this cranky time will pass!

You know best! You are his mommy! And you love him the most!

I have a 5-month-old boy who has just gone through the same thing. Same deal- happiest kid ever, all of a sudden turned into a screaming mi-mi everytime he was left alone. Teething. His first tooth popped through a few days ago. We had several hours of relief, then the second started to get ouchy. It still hasn't come through. He isn't drooling even a 1/4 the amount that my first did, so I didn't pick up on it as teething right away. But, that is what his problem was. We are using teething tablets for small pain, teething drops for medium pain and Motrin for big pain (or nighttime). We are also holding him as much as possible, as that is the real comfort that he needs... but we have a 2-year-old as well, and holding a baby 24 hours a day isn't as realistic as it used to be. Anyway- hope this helps. Good luck.

Hi...maybe the fever and cough has turned into an ear infection-which could explain why crying when laying down- the pressure builds up. My son got his first ear infection around 6 months...

I would be suspicious of an ear infection.

It might be separation anxiety. Around 6-9 months they really start noticing that they are different from mom and can a lot of issues when mom is not around. If you haven't had your 6-month check up yet, then I would bring it up at your appointment. Otherwise, just give a quick call to the nurse to make sure it couldn't be anything else (like reflux). Our daughter had horrible reflux from birth on, but at this age had more issues with separation anxiety than anything else.

Hi K., I was wondering if you have had his ears checked for an ear infection. It is very common for babies to get fluid behind the eardrum after being sick. when they lay down there is more pain because of the pressure. Not wanting to eat is also common because the sucking is painful too. it might be that he is taking a bottle because the milk flows easier through the nipple and requires less work. it might be a less painful option if he has an ear infection. It might be worth checking out. I have three children, they are ages 11,8, and 9 months. my nine month old has had reoccuring ear infections recently and is not acting like himself either. he just got his first three teeth in the last month, which might have contributed to his ear troubles. He has been getting back to back colds (none serious), just stuffy nose, cough, some fever. but about a week after his cold seems to clear up he starts fussing at night, in the bath, while feeding, etc...
he acts so upset! He often doesn't want to play with his toys and will only fall asleep if i walk around the room with him in my arms. He is ok now but it was rough for a while!
i know with my other two children, they definitaly went through different phases. As they got older, they would often confuse the heck out of me when they did something out of character. I think when babies hit about 6 months they realize they are mobile, more verbal, more in control. they are developing their own personality and are constantly processing new information with their creative minds.My first child would squirm out of my arms constantly one week, then cling to me the next.
i hope this helped...please consider getting his ears checked, it's pretty common to get ear infections at that age and after being sick. -colleen

1 / 3