6 1/2 Year Old Has "Burning Butt" HELP!?!?!?!

My 6 year old daughter has had Diarrhea for 3 days now. We have tried the BRAT diet and it is not working. She has been drinking tons of fluids to help keep her hydrated but her little butt is red and burning her all day long! Does anyone have any suggestions to help her out. She is at school right now and telling her teacher that her "butt crack is on fire!"

Thanks!!!

The burning "butt crack" has gone away!! Thank you all for your GREAT advice!! I used neosporin and let her "air dry" all night last night after a bath (with no bubbles). She still has Diarrhea but it is not as frequent as it was before so now we are fully attacking that problem!! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! I am new to Mamasource and never thought it would produce so many useful responses!!

Try Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Its sold in a tube over the counter at WalMart. My 7 yr old keeps a tube in his bathroom, in case he gets diarrhea. I used it on him as a baby, and it still works. Good luck!!

Poor little thing! My daughter has had bouts like this too. She is 7 years old. Her bottom is very sensitive too. My pediatrician told me to use Yeast infection cream on her rash or irritation. She said the problem is that the high acidic level of the "poop" causes tiny cracks & braks in their skin. Bacteria & yeast thrive there & cause a secondary infection. I have used the tube style yeast infection cream many times on her & it has always worked. It works fast too! Good Luck!

Have you taken her to the pediatrician yet? My 6 yr.old had a red itchy, burning bottom last year and it ended up being anal strep. It is the same type of bacteria that causes strep throat. The creams and baths made it worse. Antibiotics cleared it up and brought instant relief. They will just do a strep swab and you get results before you leave the office.
Good Luck,
W.

This is usually caused by eating allergen foods. From experience, you can take her off of spicey foods and it might help. We used aloe vera lotion with tea tree oil added to rub on the bottom. It may sting a little at first but then it causes a cooling effect. Also, be sure she has some wet wipes to clean her bottom after each BM.

Good Luck & God Bless!
Char

Hi L.

Poor little girl. What about vaseline? I've had to use it for my 6 yr old before with the same problem and she said it's helped.
Or, you can try the Triple Paste medicated ointment found at Walgreens, CVS, or Walmart.
It works really good for burning bottoms.

Hope she feels better soon and let me know if you have any questions.

I have used Aquaphor for horrible problems, Butt Paste for medium problems. In case it might be a yeast infection, try some Lotrimin cream (antifungal in the foot care area) as first layer, cover with Aquaphor. When she is at home, let her "air out" as much as possible - no cream, put down a tower or something and let her lay on her tummy with bottoms up to get fresh air - best thing. Lay off the applesauce, all that citrus is making the rash worse. Also be careful not to give her fruit juices or fruits, as the citrus will irritate the bottoms. Have you considered some Immodium AD to minimize the diarrhea? Should she be at school exposing the other children to her virus? Good luck.

Dear L.:

I hope that your daughter is doing well. I just wanted to mention that if your daughter still has diarrea, it may be time to see a doctor to find the root of the problem. If you don't find any relief after treatment, be sure and have your doctor test for giardia lambia.

Our family had this yucky ameobic parasite for many months before we were diagnosed. I was down under one hundred lbs. and had heart trouble by then. You often must say that you have been exposed before they will test you. It is my little mission to get the word out so people do not get as sick as we did. Three people I have told have indeed had the parasite. The test is only about $30.00 and the medicine is less than $10.00.

Jen

How about letting her "air out". When she comes home from school just removed her clothing and air herself out. If you don't want her 1/2 naked just put on some very loose fitting gym shorts or something.

I don't have experience with any of the remedies but I do know from experience that airing out can really help and make you feel better.

Best wishes!

Hi L., LOL Sorry that's too funny! Try an oatmeal bath. My son had a virus had a RAGING case of diaper rash about 2 months ago. I called the nurse at the Dr.'s office and she recommended the oatmeal or a baking soda bath, it neutralizes the acid that's still sitting on their skin and soothes the irritation. I bought the Walgreens brand of oatmeal packets (you get them by the bubble baths and shower gels). He would take 2 baths a day 1 in the AM and 1 before bed then we'd use some Neosporin because he was so broken out and layer on diaper rash cream over that. I realize she's 6 so you might want to stick with the Neosporin and maybe aquaphor instead to keep the area protected. The other lovely thing the nurse told me was that the virus could last 7-10 days, so be prepared and grateful she's potty trained! I think ours lasted about a week.

Sounds like you have plenty advice of what to put on the rash, so my advice is for helping to stop the diarrhea. My 7 year old son had it for 10 days in the fall, we were finally able to get it to stop by giving him acidophilus from the local healthfood store. They had children's chewables in the refrigerated section, ours are black cherry flavor and are called Dino-Dophilus. I started him on those twice a day and eating a yogurt twice a day and it worked WONDERFULLY! Hope it stops soon!

1 / 3