50 Pound Weight Loss!!

Hi mama's!! About 3 months ago I asked for some advice for myself and my husband. We are on a journey to healthier eating and excercise. You ladies had some great advice, and I LOVE sparkpeople (one woman mentioned that page). Now I have another question?
So, first off....the results! My husband has lost about 20lbs in these past 3 months, and I have dropped a whopping 50ish pounds. I have been at the gym DAILY and have been doing cardio (walking a half hour and then eliptical for another 20 minutes) 4 days a week and then doing water arobics the other three days. So far the results have been pretty fabulous for me!
But, I am noticing that on my upper arms they are getting flabby. I would like to try and lose the weight and not become flabby. You see, I am a big woman. Even after losing the 50 pounds I am still in the same size clothes (maybe one size down). I almost feel like I need to just continue losing weight the way I am and then next summer try and work on definition. Ideas?
2nd question - I am currently eating a lot of veggies (carrots, zuchinni, green leaf lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower) fruit, chicken, cooking with olive oil (something I have never done before) low fat content ground beef (WOW that's expensive) some steak....but am wondering if I should be taking any vitamins as well. While I know I should go to a doctor before embarking on a weight loss program....I don't have health insurance. Are there any vitamins that I should be taking?
Thanks mamas!

Shaklee has a GREAT weight loss plan. You eat like you are but for two meals you have protein shake. What is so good about this program is that you lose INCHES and pounds. It takes only the fat off not the muscles. It sounds like you are doing everything just right except for losing inches which it sound like you need. go to www.cinchplan.com and see the results and go to http://N..myshaklee.com to see the Cinch Plan starter kit. Awesome - it is fantastic!

N.
SAH mom, nana, wellness coach and advocate for "green"

Hey I just wanted to say GOOD FOR YOU! I have read a lot about diet and nutrition and stuff and it sounds like you are probably getting more vitamins from all that good food you're eating than most people! But I'm no expert... anyway, keep it up! :):)

Good Job!!

I have lost 80 lbs. Go Buy a few new clothes - now! You are not in the same size and you should loose your too big clothes ASAP. Better to have a few things that fit. It is the same mind set that is helping you lose the weight, the right things not the most things.

I lost it with the mental and emotional help that I am now offering others and the Eat Right for your Type plan.

I like the green vitamins at Health Force Nutritionals. I would incorporate the Green Powder this will help with the body's recovery and balance, that is my experience. Include these in your diet gradually, start out at a 1/4 of the suggestion and work up.

Also, I encourage meditation and learning to bring loving attention to all, including to yourself.

Keep up the good work!

Love,
N. Marie
www.naomimarie.com

When you take a vitamin, your body absorbs a very very low percentage of it. The best way to get lots of vitamins is to eat a good diet of all the foods you are eating now. It sounds like your body is getting more vitamins now than ever before... keep it up!

Great job on the weight loss. Changing your lifestyle is a HUGE accomplishment!!! Unfortunately, a lot of the new flab you are seeing is not easy to get rid of. Once your skin stretches with weight gain, losing the weight causes the skin to just hang. When I lost weight, that was the biggest disappointment for me. The more weight you lose, the more you will find your skin hanging off your body. No matter how much weight you lose, your body will never look like the bikini babes. Surgery to remove the skin is the only way to get rid of it. Massaging a good lotion into your skin every day will help some though. It will help your skin with elasticity.

Good luck with your continued weight loss.

N.

You don't need to use any special shakes or weird meds. You are doing a great job already! Good work!

Your arms are going to be flabby with the kind of weight loss that you're doing. It will take a bit of time for the skin to shrink down a bit, and it will probably be looser than you're used to because you're losing so much fat. I don't know how much weight you're hoping to lose, but it sounds like you're on your way to a big goal. Keep going!

You should start some weight lifting as you are comfortable. Weight bearing excercise is important for bone strength too. Most gyms have a free program where a trainer will show you around the weight room and how to use the machines. (I attended the YMCA, and they actually have three free sessions with a personal trainer.) There are also great books that you can pick up at the library. One that I used was "The Body Sculpting Bible for Women", although I ignored all of the dietary suggestions. They have great pictures and descriptions of each of the exercises, as well as a routine for you to follow. It's a great way to learn new exercises.

If you have not ever used weights before, it's a very good idea to save up and spend money on a couple of sessions with a trainer. They can show you the correct form for all of your exercises. This is important for two reasons: 1, to prevent injury, and 2, for maximum results from your effort.

As for vitamins, my doctors (I've just been through a few) always suggest that I take a daily supplement -- just something like OneADay or whatever generic there is. You can ask your pharmacist for suggestions too.

Congratulations on your great choices, L.! It sounds like you're doing a terrific job.

~E..

PS -- I think that the best strength exercises to start with is pushups. Start from your knees and work up from there. The library probably also has workout videos, although I haven't checked.

Congratulations! You must be so proud, and rightly so.

some thoughts:

1) are you doing some weight training? Weight training is a good way to augment your other exercise - muscle burns more calories than fat, so it will help with the weight loss. Additionally, weight training builds strong bone and muscle systems so that you can prevent injury into old age. One place to start, for you, may be with some simple free weight and arm exercises. I bet water aerobics includes some of this, but, someone at the gym should be able to show you a set of 4-5 exercises to work on your arms. It may help you feel more toned and less flabby there. While you're at it, see if you can figure out a core exercise that works for you - keeping your core strong is also really important for preventing injury, and it should help you feel more toned around your middle.

2) Are you up for looking in a vegetarian cookbook for some meals? I think that you can probably do one or two meals a week without meat, getting protein still, and it should be cheaper.

3) I always take a multi-vitamin. I think the research shows mixed results as to how useful they ultimately are - our bodies do better if we get the necessary nutrients from food - but i also figure it can't hurt. I tend to take a women's formula multi-vitamin, and i also sometimes buy fortified juices (like Odwallas) when i feel like i need a pick-me-up. LIke i say, i don't know that it is necessary, but i also don't think it can hurt.

Again, congratulations. I'm excited for you!

Congratulations on the weight loss!
No matter how healthy one is eating, vitamin and mineral supplementation is a must. Even if you're eating organic, the food that is being produced doesn't have the nutrient value that the same food did 100 years ago. Basically, our bodies have not evolved to keep up with the changes in the way foods are processed.
When you look at vitamins, you want ones that are water soluble and standardized (this means what you are purchasing from month-to-month, and even the pills within the same bottles, will be the same). Also, a once-a-day vitamins will not provide nutrients to your cells for a full 24 hours. What is not used initially will be excreted, leaving you feel tired for the second half of the day.
I am a consultant with Arbonne International and we have nutrtional hybrids (vitamin/mineral packs) for both men and women. We also have protein shakes to assist you in your weight loss goals. You can get more information from my website at www.nursekerry.myarbonne.com.
Good luck with your continues weight loss goals. That's so exciting!

Great job. A multi-vitamin can't hurt. I didn't really see anthing with Omega-3's in it in the foods you listed so you might want to take that.
As for the flab, you are losing a lot of weight very quickly and the skin can't keep up. It will tighten back up if it hasn't been overstretched for years and years. Look at the people on Biggest Loser, they go through a flabby stage and then tone back up after a few months. Make sure you are working your whole body so the muscle underneath can develop/strengthen. You cannot target toning really. I was just looking on WebMD and it mentioned using a topical cream with copper for elasticity. Good luck and I hope you reach your goal.

You've already gotten the advice i would give (general multi vitamin with food, add some strength training, moisturize your skin & give it time) but i still just wanted to say congrats on making such a healthy change in your life. i have so much admiration for people who can make a big change to improve themselves and their quality of life and stick with it- you rock!

1 / 3