5 Yr Old Poops in Panties

I have a 5 yr old daughter. Since she started Kindergarten, she has started pooping in her panties again. She says she doesn't know when she needs to go. I've tried grouding her from friends, movies...timeouts...taken toys away...she always has to clean her soiled panties...talking her about it...reading books about potty time...I'm at a loss. I need advice. I don't have a clue what to do anylonger. She did feel embaressed when she did it at school last week, but she usually waits until she gets home at night.

My niece had a similar problem, and what they found that worked best was a reward system - you don't want to punish for this behavior. Every day that she didn't go in her pants she got a sticker and after a certain amount of days in a row she would be able to get a prize. That seemed to work best for them.

I didn't have exactly the same problem, but my daughter would hold her poop for days. By the 3 or 4th day she couldn't sit still. She wasn't pleasant to be around. What finally worked for us was chocolate. She had to sit on the potty every night and give it a good try. If she pooped she got a small piece of chocolate in her lunch the next day. It worked like a charm.

There is something called encopresis you should have an xray of her stomach done. If she has it it will show on xray. If this is the problem then she really cannot help these accidents.You can gfoogle it to find out more zabout it.

She might be intemidated by the new schedule or the other kids.
My daughter is 5 and half and she has been having accidents also but my daughter gets constipated. Do you think your daughter is constipated? I give mine fletchers and it helps over night with out much pain!

Hi there! I wouldn't worry if I were you...yes, it's gross AND frustrating...but, I remember being young and not liking to "go" in the girls bathrooms...no idea why, just didn't.
Perhaps you could talk to her very calmly about it...tell her that it's very good for her to keep her body "regular" and that holding it all day can make her have more accidents. Assure her that you understand that kindergarten is a new and fun place, but, can also be a bit scary too. Tell her to help her you'd like to take 15 minutes each morning to try going before school starts...that way she won't have to worry about having accidents at school.
There's also a very good chance that she is liking kindergarten so much that she really doesn't notice that she has to go until it's too late...my daughter does that!! I have gotten so frustrated in the past...lol...then the poor thing told me "mommy, I really don't notice!! I was having so much fun that I didn't think about it," SO i've had to really work hard to remember to ask her if she needs to go poop.
You are SO not alone!!

My daughter started doing the same as soon as she turned 5. I asked her pediatrician about it and she said sometimes it's a growth problem (esp. in girls) that they truly can't tell when they need to go, their bodies are growing so fast and their bladder/bowel doesn't always let them know right away. Also stress or insecurity can bring this on. Hang in there and be patient with her. I got very frustrated too, as I thought my daughter simply wasn't taking the time to go potty. I promise it's just a phase and should pass quickly. Hope this encourages you!

Maybe she's embarrassed to go at school. Or she could be afraid to ask the teacher to go if it's not at regular bathroom time. Talk to the teacher and find out what your daughter needs to do to go to the restroom at unscheduled times.

My 5 year old won't even go at school. He waits until he gets home. All of my children are pretty much like that...all boys. They just won't go at school unless it's just unbearable.

Hello there,

No one who understands wants to get their pants soiled. So in my opinion, this is not a problem to be punished for. Instead, I think that she is going through some anxiety issue with just starting school. Talk to her teacher to remind her every few hours. keep some extra clothes in her locker and teach her how to deal with it should it happen. She needs comfort at this time.
Hopefully it will pass soon

Goodluck

I agree that punishing her is not the answer and cause more damage than good. Also, making her clean her panties is not a good idea to me it is a bit humiliating...that is over doing it in my book. Especially if she is embaressed about it!

I would say talk to her doctor about it. Tell her teacher that she may need more potty breaks. She has just started Kindergarden and maybe there is a reason why she is doing this. She could also be so involved in what she is doing she doesnt realized she is doing it.

I would just tell her it is okay and why she thinks she did that. Ask her if she thinks she needs more potty breaks. Read her books like you have been and just continue positive renforcement. Odds are she is regressing...but i am sure she will get back on track esp. since she is embaressed.

Otherwise she may start doing it in spite or holding in and causing constipation or fear of pooping.

1 / 3