5 Yr. Old Daughter Daydreams in Class

My daughter's preschool teacher says she day dreams and looks around and doesn't do her work unless she gets on to her to do it. She takes her time on her work and is usually the last one that finishes. I don't if it's b/c she doesn't want to do it or what. Can someone help me? It's like she's in another world, from what her teacher says. She went to the evaluation center and they said she's fine. Hopefully it won't have any effect when she starts kindergarten this coming year.

Hey N. -

I was diagnosed with ADD at that age for the exact type of behavior. Maybe have her evaluated? But try not to squelch the daydreaming all the way... I'm a successful writer now because I was given the opportunity to be in "my own world" and hone my creative thinking. It might look like she's not doing anything... but in reality her mind is very busy. Give her space to do this if its not hindering anything. As for school.... she's gotta to work and pay attention to pass, I'd suggest an evaluation and that might help.

Best of luck!!

Hey N. -

Best of luck!!

What springs to mind:

ADHD-i (inattentive type... typified by "daydreaming" aka her mind is so hyperactive she's in her own world much of the time)
gifted
vision problems
hearing problems
less than teacher/boring curriculum

It could just be the way she is. One of my girls had a similar issue, especially during K and 1st grades. She simply took her time, or would wait until someone noticed that she didn't have a pencil instead of asking for one (she didn't want to bother anyone).
As a 4th grader now, she still will move at her own pace, but has realized that she will miss out if she does not complete her assignments when told.
She would take her time to do a lot of tasks, not just school related ones. We joked that it was Sami speed and she would get to where she needed to be when it was time for her to get there. While frustrating for me, especially in the mornings when rushing to school, I have found that it is easier to accept it and embrace it as part of her personality.

I was like that, but I was exceedingly bored. I had the textbooks all figured out the first week of school and so slacked off in school after that. My mother got me extra workbooks to challenge me at home, but the school work was boring, so she compromised with me so I could have my challenges, and please the teachers.
I have a relative that has an absence spell disorder treated with medication(not common, but easily treatable), but it sounds more like boredom from your description of it. Talk with your daughter in a positive intelligent manner and let her know your concerns, and perhaps she will let you know so you both can work through this.

It could be a lot of things. If she's gifted, she could be bored if the work is too easy for her. Or she might have a focusing/concentration issue. Is she easily distracted? Has she had her eyes/ears checked? My son was having a hard time seeing the board across the class room until he got glasses. A hearing problem might mean she's not sure what the teacher wants her to do until the teacher specifically tells her.

Hi N.,

You don't say her age or how long this has been going on. It might simply be a phase she is going through. I can remember daydreaming during school...not very often, but some of them are still clear today. (I'm 57)

If this is an extreme problem though I'd suggest having her checked out by a psychologist. A psychologist can tell you, after a few simple tests, if your daughter is simply a dreamer or if there is a problem. It wouldn't hurt to remove all doubt or concerns of something else being the problem.

My son is a dreamer. It wasn't until he was a tween that we discovered that he has Asperger's Syndrome Disorder, a form of Autisim...early on he was diagnosed as having ADHD only. I am in no way suggesting that your dauhter has a mental illness. I'm simply suggesting that you rule out any possiilities.

I must add that I'm not quite sure if I would have taken another person's advice about seeking help with someone other than our family doctor. Hindsight being perfect, I should have taken him to a specialist long before I did. Our family doctor wasn't trained in recognizing the subtle signs of something other than a physical ailment.

I'm hoping that it's just a stage with your daughter, or maybe her work is too easy and she just is bored with doing it...thus the daydreaming. She may be gifted...something else that a psycholigist can determine.

Don't squelch her daydreaming...it makes for a very creative mind. Be her advocate and uncover the underlying reason. Needing glasses or a hearing aide, boredom, health (physical or mental), even where she sits in her class, could be the reason for her daydreaming or appearance of not participating. Simple tests can be done to determine your child's needs and it could be just a simple fix and all your worries will disappear. Well...you are a mom...at least your worries will diminish about this aspect of your daughter's life.

Good luck and God bless.

W. Q

I have to agree with many of the other posters, your daughter is likely bored. If she does understand the work and get's it done correctly, then yep.. she is bored. Last year when my daughter was in kindergarten, I was always getting called for her falling asleep or talking too much. Turns out it was the teacher. My child was bored to sleep or to just find her own stimulating conversation. It was not until this year in first grade, when my daughter has a fabulous teacher that I realize just how much her kindergarten teacher was lacking. I am not saying it is all the teachers fault, I would just say that perhaps your daughter is not being challenged by the activities the teachers have prepared.

maybe the teacher is boring.. not keeping her attention. When she watches a tv show that she likes.. does she really watch it.. not put on something she may not like ... like the news... tell her to watch it.. see if she is day dreaming... it may be the teacher isn't keeping her attention... next year ask for an interesting teacher.. tell the principal what your child is like.. and she needs someone to be fascinating... good luck

1 / 3