5 Year Olds 1St Time to Disney World

Hi moms,
In April we will be taking our 5 year old daughter to Disney World for her first time. My husband and I have been there many times before she was born so we know what to expect as far as walking, lines, weather, etc.
My question is, she is 5 years old but still gets tired of lots of walking. We are staying at a Disney Resort and are getting the park hopper pass so we can come and go back and forth as many times as we like, but is it worth bringing a stroller? She still takes naps and I'd hate to be stuck with a cranky tired 5 year old having to carry her around. Also, she's a bit on the taller side of most 5 year olds so we have to take that into consideration.
Are the park strollers worth it? Should I even bother bringing our own?
Any advice, tips and tricks from your own experiences are welcome.
Thanks moms!

Thanks for all the responses! I got amazing feedback. So, I called our airline and asked about strollers and they said they are no extra charge to check them on the plane, so instead of taking the chance of the park running out of strollers, we are just going to take an umbrella stroller from home. So excited to go! We are counting down the days!
Thanks Moms!

To cover all bases...I would bring her stroller. She'll be excited...there is no predicting how she'll deal with it all...so go with the flow and deal with things as it happens...
enjoy....

Hi J.! How exciting to go to Disney!! We just went in October with a 6 1/2 year old and a 4 1/2 year old (loved it so much are going again in June!!).. We did not bring a stroller as my kids haven't used a stroller in a couple of years; however, we ended up renting a double stroller everyday ($30/day for double, $15 for single). The strollers are really nice; plenty big enough for a taller child (my kids are both on the tall side)... If you have a stroller that she is comfortable in, I'd say bring it to save you money...
Have a great time!!!

Yes, the park strollers are completely worth it. I rented for my 5 year old last July and was very glad I did. I found it easier to maneuver than the ones I broought with us when she was younger. It also did a better job sheilding the sun/rain.

I highly recommend the strollers that you can rent there. But rent a double. That way you have room for your daughter, and any things you have(cooler,towels etc.)My family and I had done that everytime we went there. Have fun!

It is absolutely worth bringing your stroller or renting one if you can afford it. The first time we went to Disney, both of my children (at the time ages 4 and 6) used the stroller. It is also convenient to have a place to store drinks and snacks. We actually packed lunch each day and brought it in a back-pack. Often we fed the kids while waiting on line. It also saved us a good deal of money to bring lunch and snacks and my kids probably ate better food. If you want some grown-up time, I would encourage you to look into the outings planned by the Grand Floridian (you don't have to stay there to your kids participate). Our kids did a pirate adventure one morning and cooking with the characters another morning, while we enjoyed a lovely breakfast at the hotel.

If she's a napper, then I'd take my own stroller. The one's in the park don't recline and are very uncomfortable to sleep in. At least your own, she can lay back some. Don't forget, if you're doing character meals, you need to book them NOW. Most only take reservations 90 days in advance. Another piece of advise that we do (we go every Nov), we UPS our snacks, water bottles, extra package of wipes, etc right to the hotel and it's ready for us when we arrive. It's a heck of a lot cheaper then taking it on the plain or packing it in your suitcase. If you're going to bring an umbrella stroller, look into UPSing that also. One less thing at the airport. Also, request a fridge in your room. Tell them you have meds that need to go in there. They don't ask any questions & that way, you'll be able to put your waters/juices in the night before to get cold. Another thing, take her to the Bipity Bopity Boutique (Downtown Disney). THE BEST! The 1st year with my daughter, we bought Ariels Wedding dress there. Very expensive. The following year, I got smart. I bought Cindarella's dress at the Disney store, MUCH CHEAPER. I snuck it in our suit case, hung it in the closet the night before we were to go, put a note on it from Santa and made her get me something out of the closet. She nearly passed out when she saw it. It's definately an experience you'll never forget. Worth every single penny spent seeing her smile and my tears because they come out looking just like a princess. Don't forget the video camera for this one! Good luck and have a blast!

Disney, Disney, Disney! We got every 3 years with my entire family (13 of us). My son is 7 and last went when he was almost 6, almost 3 and in my belly! 4 and nieces and nephews older than him so I've got lots of disney advise if you need it! Always stay at the park (good choice) so you can rest back at the room if you need to, get the park hopper so you can go wherever, whenever, and I suggest the meal plan.
Disney has strollers, they cost a little, but if you just want them for the park and for an older child, they're perfect! With littler ones that need transport out of the park as well, you need to bring it.
One thing that was a pain our last trip was bringing his car seat. As soon as you're off the plane, you go on a disney bus, so no need there and it's an extra carryon on the plane, which was a hassle. As long as you're just doing Disney...don't bring the car seat. Make sure if you get a ride to the airport you have one that can stay behind.
I have a boy, but make sure you're little girl does a princess meal (we did the princess breakfast in Epcot) my son didn't like it of course, but I enjoyed being with my nieces! Oh, and the Bipity Bopity Boutique too!!
If you need any other advice, please ask!
E. K.

YES!!! bring a stroller or use the parks...it is worth the trouble...unless you want to sit down somewhere on a bench and take breaks. but yes, we brought one and our kids ended up taking turns in it...even my 8 year old!!! :)

My husband and I just returned from Disney World ourselves with our two children ages 3 and 5. We had strollers for them and my 5 y/o who usually does not want to sit in them did for the majority of the time we were at the park. I would recommend just purchasing a cheap umbrella stroller from a local store rather than paying the high price at the park. This way you don't feel like you are out alot of money by purchasing one and then you can make the decision to leave it behind or bring it home. Have a great time and don't forget to bring a camera, pen and autograph book for all the characters to sign. It will be something she can look back on for years to come!!!

Girl, the park strollers are truly worth it! Been there went through the same skepticism before myself. Consider the fact that Disney makes accomodations for older people who cannot walk with ease throughout the entire park, your daughters' height would not be an issue. Have a great time!!

Hi J., I would rent a stroller there they are easy to handle and have plenty of room for all of the stuff you made need for her. Also a park hopper pass is the best option. We took advantage of the early/late hours at the parks and planned are schedule around the hours of the parks. You can find out what the park hours are right on the website. A little planning goes a long way for less hassle and stress.

1 / 3