5 Year Old with Leg Pains

Hello Ladies,

My 5 year-old has been complaining about leg pains her words " My Leg Bones Hurt" I told her like I told my other 4, Baby its just growing pain. It means your getting taller. Sunday morning she woke up at 6am screaming about her legs hurting, I gave her children's Motrin that did not help at all. Around 7:30 I gave her a dose of children's Tylenol finally around 8:30 she stopped crying. Several times through out the day she complained about the pain but never cried. I got a call from school today about her complaining. She has not fallen. She has no cut, scraped ,scratched ,or bruses (SP) Should we take a trip to the Doctor? My other question is do you apply Heat or Ice Packs to the type of pain. Thanks for listening =)

My daughter had her Dr appt. last Friday to my surprise the Dr. was very interested asked both of us tons of questions, ran tests and did blood work. Got the results back today she is slightly low on potassium,but not that low he wants to check it again in 3 months. He also said he believes she does have growing pains, But also said if she has another attack like b4 to bing her back. Thank you all for your support.

Hi A....my daughter also complains of leg pains..we always say the same...growing pains. We give motrin and tylenol as you do but also wrap her legs with a heating pad with a towel around it. The heat (only set on medium) seems to help. Good Luck!!!

My 12 year old started complaining with leg pains that continued to get worse. I took her to the doctor and they did x-rays and MRI and found she did have growing pains,but it had went into the muscle. I had waited a while and she now has an enlarged knot right below her knee that she has to really be careful with while doing physical activities. She also has to take a muscle relaxer when doing a lot of physical activity. The disease is called Osgood-Schlatter's Disease. It can be very painful and damaging to the knee if it is not seen about, but very treatable. My daughter has been very active since she was two. She still loves to run. Defintely have it seen about. Good luck.

S. Miller

I have a six year old with leg pains like that. It doesn't matter what he does he will have severe leg cramps. His doctor has ran test and the have all come back normal. He suggested an old wives tale remedy. He told me to put soap shaving under his bed sheet between the mattress and the fitted sheet. I don't know why or how, but this seems to have helped. He still gets them, but not as often or as severe. Hope this helps you.

I had the same symptoms when I was a child all the way until around 17 yrs old. I was diagnosed with osgood schlatter's disease. Here is a website with info on it. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/osgood-schlatter-disease... The best suggestion I can give you is to take your child to the doctor armed with the information on all of the things it could be and make sure the doctor has good reason for ruling out each of the possibilities just to make sure they aren't missing anything. It is probably nothing serious but it is better safe than sorry. Good luck.

I agree, this could possibly be low potassium or magnesium but waking her up with such pain that makes her scream could be more serious and it would help you to be able to at the very least get the worry off of your mind. If it is something worse, then it is always better to get it stopped as soon as possible.

My children had the same problem bananas seem to help and salt.

My daughter had the same problem and so did my half sister who is two months younger than my daughter. My step mom switched to organic milk and i switched to braum's milk since neither one hormone their cows and both girls have stopped complaining about their legs hurting. You might want to switch your milk and see if that helps.

S. M.

My first and sixth children, both boys, had the same problem. The medical doctors claim not to know what causes it, but I looked it up in some of my books. I added extra doses of calcium, magnesium and potassium in their diets, as they were lacking in these. The "growing pains" were much better.

I know how your heart tore when she was crying. Try to add these minerals through food, but if you can't get chelated calcium. It is best to take them in a form that is as close to real food as possible. Calcium and magnesium should be taken together at night. The potassium can be given in the morning, although eating a banana every day should do it.

Blessings,
E. Priebe
Wife to Rodney and Mom to 8

I have read through all the responses and have not seen this one. I think as she is growing you should keep a look at her spine. As it could be what I experienced as a child. It may not be the legs at all, but her spine. My circumstance is much longer than this I shortened it a lot.

One morning when I was 6 I woke up with severe leg pain, to the point that I couldn't walk it hurt so bad. My mom took me to the doctor. They put me in the hospital to run tests and couldn't find anything wrong. Every 6 months or so it would happen and I don't remember how long it lasted each time. But I couldn't dress myself or even pick up a pencil off the floor. Every time it happened I went to the doctor and always the same story...growing pains.... I had this from the age of 6 till now. Long story short my mom asked a doctor when I was 17 about scoliosis and was told I had none. The next year went to another doctor and just from my complaints He said that he thought I had scoliosis. went to look at my file of x-rays, He looked at the ones that were taken from the year before. And had some more taken to compare. We were told not only did I have scoliosis but it was severe. Instead of the C shape curve I had an S shape curve. I think that you should take her to the doctor. Mine was found to late to help. Because of that I have back pain all the time. I have just learned to deal with it. There is help if this is what it is and better to do it while she is growing. Now I need a wheelchair to get around in because it still hurts to walk. I am not trying to scare you or anything just thought you should hear my experience with the bone pain.

Aren't you glad you asked? It could be nothing or it could be everything.! Please go to the doctor.

Let us know, and all the best to you and your little one!

1 / 3