5 Year Old W/chronic Stuffy & Runny Nose

Hi moms! My 5 yr old son has had a stuffy nose for months now. I took him to the doc and found out he had an ear infection and he took a round of antibiotics but his nose is still stuffy & runny. The doc said to try Zyrtec - that did nothing. They did a blood test and told me he has a MILD allergy to milk and to try soy. UPDATE: I've switched my son to Rice milk and have cut out as much dairy as possible - I'm sure he gets traces of it through other foods though. And we've tried Nasonex and there is still no change. He's super congested. So now they want to do a CAT scan of his sinuses to see if it's a chronic sinus infection. I didn't think to ask what comes next if it is . . . anyone know if it's surgery or medications? I'm waiting to hear back from them. I just feel so bad that nothing has helped him breathe better for so long. :( Thanks everyone.

Soy milk is delicious -- and other dairy substitutes are, too :) Shop at Whole Foods for some good substitute items. When I eat vegan, I feel much healthier and happier!!

Hi L., My daughter had the same thing at the same age. It was a dairy allergy. I promise you it gets better. Eliminate what you can in the beginning. It gets easier. I strongly suggest the probiotics from HomeFirst. They are amazing. The doctors there will also help you through this. I will add that because she felt so lousy before we knew it was all dairy she struggled to learn in the 1st grade & then it took quite awhile to catch up to her peers. Learn as much as you can about replacing dairy items in her diet, you will see a new kid soon. Then as she gets older you can reintroduce & she will "get it" on her own when she eats that she feels badly. Good luck & in good health.

Colds don't last that long, but allergies do. My daughter was sensitive to dairy before turning 2 so she was on soy and we found other things like soy yogurt and stuff. However, I myself have a sensitivity to dairy, but it varies depending on the product. For example there is no way i can eat sour cream, but yogurt and cottage cheese is fine. Different cheeses affect me differently too. Cheddar is better than mozzerella. I would play around with it. The milk is the worst for me so that would be the first thing I would change. Silk has very very vanilla soy milk kids fortified. I love it and my daughter loves it too. He may reject it at first but eventually he will get used to it. Ice cream is another bad culprit. We do sherbert, I think there is a little dairy in there but it is little enough where it didn't bother us. Play around see what is okay and what isn't. Good Luck

I've had allergies for most of my life and have passed it on to my two daughters. What you're describing is full out allergies in my experience. You need to go to a specialist - I have found that regular pediatrician's do not know what the heck they are talking about when it comes to allergies.

For instance when we take my girls to a pediatrician if they are having a full out allergy attack - heavy cold and sometimes bronchitis symptoms - they do not do much to help them. But if I take them to their pediatric allergist she gives them a full list of non-med treatment ideas PLUS she gives them the proper meds to loosen up or dry up the gunk in their chest and nose dependent on what they need.

My children all under went scratch testing - it's really not that big of a deal. One hour in the office and he's going to cry during the process. But it's quick and done. The results will tell you what dozens of allergies he might have. The allergist will be able to then tell you various ways to treat the allergies. Simply put - I highly recommend this. Why would you want your child to suffer any longer?

Here's my pediatric allergist's contact information - Dr. Nirmala Arora ###-###-####. She's absolutely wonderful and my children and I have both been seeing her for the last ten years. PLEASE TAKE HIM!

Take care,

S

My daughter is on a casien- (dairy) free diet. One of the big bummers is no cheese, yogurt or ice cream. Fortunately there are dozens of rice and almond substitutes out there if your kiddo won't eat soy-based products. Rice milk, Rice Dream (ice cream faux - love it better than the real stuff!), coconut milk yogurt, et cetera. It's a bit pricey, so I can't really afford to buy it for the whole household to eat. How much can a 38-pound human put away, though?

My sister has suffered with chronic sinus infections/concerns for decades. Last year, she altered her diet and eliminated dairy (she was a dairy/yogurt/cheese - a - holic!) , however she made modifications so that she was still getting ample amount of calcium, protein, etc... She has had amazing results! This doesn't mean that your son must always stay on this diet. By eliminating these foods for about 4 weeks, then re-introducing them, you just may (or may not) discover if dairy is his catalyst. Good luck.

It sounds like 5 year molars. that could be why he is chewing on everything? Zyrtec didnt work for my children either but the claritin did and during the real bad months we use singular.

I can relate, my 6 year old son started with a sore throat that went away in a few days and a week later he started coughing, which turned into bronchitis, and three days after he was on antibiotics he developed an earache. The doctor changed the antibiotic and he seemed better but a week later the earache came back. The doctor said he had fluid in both ears and the bronchitis was still lingering. The eaustachian tubes were apparentlt swollen and the fluid from the middle ear did not drain. The covering Dr. over the weekend gave him a shot, cough medicine, a new antibiotic and some type of steroid ( I did not give him anything other than the antibiotic from this arsenal. I caled his regular pediatrician after four days because he was still complaining of an ear ache. He STOPPED all antibiotics and had me star givivng him the sugar Xylitol ( I get it at Fruiful Yield, Whole Foods carries it as well) I gave him 1 teaspoon three times and day and I found at the Fruitful Yield also Xclear a saline nasal spray with Xylitol as well I used it 2-3 times a day. This cost me $15-$16 as opposed to the over $200 in meds I paid for three different antibiotics that did not work on the ear. It took bout 3-4 days to see he was feeling better and he did not complain of earache. You can google Xylitol and Xclear it is very informative reading.

AS FAR AS MILK IT MAY NOT BE THE MILK IT IS MOST LIKELY THE HORMONES AND ANTIBIOTICS GIVEN TOT HE COWS. MY DAUGHTER HAS AN ALLERGY WHERE SHE IS STUFFED UP, SHE IS 19 NOW AND HAS SINCE OUTGROWN IT. I CAHNGED TO OBERWEIS MILK THAT IS FREE OF HORMONES AND ANTIBIOTICS AND SHE DID GREAT. I'LL TELL YOU THAT IS THE ONLY MILK WE USE IN THIS HOUSE, THEY HAVE CHOCOLATE TOO. THESE DAYS YOU CAN BUY IT AT JEWEL AS WELL. TRY THE ORGANIC STUFF THT SAYS IT IS HORMONE AND ANTIBIOTIC FREE. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT CUT YOGURT OUT THE PROBIOTICS IN IT ARE SUPER BENFICIAL.

YOUR SON COULD ALSO HAVE ADENOIDS, DOES HE SNORE? YOU MAY BE SMART TO TAKE HIM TO AN ENT AS WELL. My pediatrician ( the 19 year old still goes to see him)does nto believe in exposing little people to the drugs unless absolutely necesaary, beacsue when they need them as they get older they will become immune to them, so he takes the simple approach first and then the drug route.

I hope this helps you to at least to start researching a little, I know it is difficult with the other two kids, but some of the stuff above can actually work for thim if you start now.

PS Xylitol is a naturally occuring sugar and you can change it out for the regular sugar you use. I did, it is healthy and even diabetics use it. Chew Trident gum it has it too. Itwont cause cavities and the kids do not act up as much when they are sugared up.

IF YOU PREFER GO TO THE WEBSITE www.liferising.com, My friend referred me, she goes with allthree of her kids, 10, 7 and 4. They were all on inhalers and constantly sick. She took them to him and he got their immune systems up and theya re doing great. he helped me tremendously I was doing terribly for 3-4 years and he got me to atrt feeling like my old self in 1 month. You do have follow his instructions carefully. Dr. Guo is a reg dr, pharmacist, herbal master and also an oncologist. He has 3 offices, you are probably closest to the Westmont. If you chose him, as specifically for him when you make the appointment. You need to know this is not covered by the insurance. But if He helps then the cost is less than years of co-pays at specialists and pediatricians offices.

Hi L.! I have gone through that on a off with my kids. Once with my oldest son, I even went for a nasal cavity x-ray. It turned out fine! I feel that sometimes docs, when they don't know exactly what the prob is, say it's allergies! It's easy for them to fall back on. I think I read somewhere that everyone probably has a mild allergy to some things. With my kids, I usually just let them go through it! As long as they're not miserable, or they don't have a fever. If it is a mild milk allergy, and only mild, let them build an immunity for it! That's essesionally what allergy shots are for! I read an article about how in the late 1800's early 1900's no one really had allergies. They were always working in the fields and stuff like that, so there bodies adjusted and grew immune to the allergins. I think it makes our kids stronger, and my kids are very rarely sick now! Good Luck

1 / 3