5 Year Old Starting Kindergarten and Can't Hold a Crayon Right!

I'm worried sick!!My son's birthday is Feb 26.He's 5 years old and starts kindergarten in september.No matter how many times I show him,he still can't hold a crayon properly!!The crayon leans forward and thus he has a difficult time coloring inside lines and such.Some of my friends children who are also starting kindergarten,can read already!!!I'm sick with worry that maybe he's fine motor skills are not as matured as they should be.I have an 8 year old and had no such problems with him.My 5 year old seems to be fine in all other areas except this.He knows his colors....his letters.....sounds but will not hold that pencil right!!!HElp.....I think this day and age,kids are kinda expected to be able to right their name as they enter kindergarten....thats what has me sick with worry!!Thanks!

Dont make a big deal about it, it may get him more anxious than needed.

Go to the store and buy the triangle shaped crayons. (Crayola makes some) take them out of the box so he doesnt see they are made for toddlers and give him some PLAIN paper to draw on. White, or colored. You can even cut the colored paper into fun shapes. Or if you think he is ready, let him practice making some snips with the scissors. (another great fine motor exercise!) He doesnt need to color in the lines if he is making his own designs.

You can also get the triangle grips to slide on his pencils. It makes it easier for these little ones to hold.

And he DOESNT HAVE TO READ to go to Kindergarten. That is what school is for! (can you tell that one is a pet peeve of mine?)

Please, PLEASE don't worry about this. Some kids' hand muscles just aren't as ready for fine motor stuff. Same as you, my daughter did not have this issue and my son did. I can remember as late as second grade telling my teacher that holding my pencil the way she wanted me to made my hand 'tickle' and I hated the way that felt! Do some of the hand strengthening exercises mentioned if you think he won't become anxious or aware that you're concerned.

Don't worry! Your son will be fine - I promise. Get him some of the triangular crayons, as they can help kids figure out the right way to grip it. There will be plenty of kids coming into kindergarten who don't hold their pencils the right way. He will definitely not be the only one. He sounds like a smart kid who is academically ready and will do great.

Is your son left or right handed? I am left handed, 35 YO, and basically STILL can't hold a pencil 'right'. Imagine making a fist and putting the pen, pencil, crayon, whatever - in between your thumb and forefinger - that's how I write! To this day I still have sloppy writing (should have been a doctor). Don't fret :)

They will teach him at school. It's not major, don't sweat it.

first RELAX it's not something you really need to panic over.
They will learn how to do all of that in kindergarten. I'm sure he won't be the only one in his class that doesn't hold the crayon right.
My 5yr old doesn't hold his just right either. he holds is so it comes out between his fingers instead of finger tips.

And most kids don't know how to read before kindergarten and those kid of your friends that can read , either have just had certain books read to them so many times they have them memorized or will likely end up having to relearn how to read, b/c unless they learn the phonic way to read they aren't really reading. Letter sounds are VERY important for reading.

Hello, I have babysat all of my California grandkids while their parents work. I even had custody of one for three years. Anyway, when the oldest one was about to start school, I too was worried. We had read books everyday. He would insist on adult History and Discovery type books. He could name things that other children didn't even know existed. We also read books about other nations and cultures. Well he couldn't do his numbers or letters. He was just not interested. He caught on very quickly once he was with the other children. He is now entering High School and is in all excelled classes getting almost straight A's and was on the Honor's Roll at the Middle School. Go and figure. By the way, his cousin and brother are also very gifted. Out younger grandchild has Down's Syndrome and is light years ahead of her preschool peers. I don't know what to say, but they are all sponges.
If there is a problem with your son's motor skills, the teacher will identify it. He is probably very sports motivated.
Good luck with your precious family. All children are gifted in their own way.
K. K.

I am a former kindergarten teacher and kids develop at different rates. It is nothing to be worried about. Yes some kids go into kinder knowing a lot of stuff but they don't know it all. Some of the ones that can read can't sit in one place for more than a few seconds or can't follow directions. You have nothing to be worried about, your son sounds like a normal 5 year old to me. I'm sure he will do fine at school and when his fine muscles are ready he will hold the pencil and crayon correctly. The best to all of you.

1 / 3