5 Year Old Snoring

My 5 year old son snores horribly at night. I have spoken with the peditrician numerous times and he always gives me the same answer. My son has very large adnoids (whatever they are) and he says that is the cause of the problem. Thankfully,he has never had any kind of throat issue (infections..etc) so the peditrician said there is really nothing to do about it. He told me to use a humidifer, which I have always used. When he sleeps I can actually see him struggling for air. I compare it to trying to suck something through a straw that's to big too fit through. What's really odd is that it doesn't bother his sleep at all. He sleeps right through it. It seems worse during allergy season. Has anyone had this experience before? Any suggestions on how to help him breathe better and stop snoring. He's keeping the rest of us up all night! Thanks!!!

Thank you so much for all the responses. I was very happy to receive all of them. Well, we went to the ENT last week and on June 26th he'll have both his adnoids and tonsils removed! I'm looking forward to him having a peaceful nights sleep!!! Thanks, again!!!

Usually children with bad snoring suffer sleep apnea,
even without infections. Knowing what I know now
you might consider seeing an ENT to be on the safe
side. Good luck.

My sister is starting to have this problem with her almost 6-year old. Ironically, he just had his adenoids out a few months ago, and the snoring has only started since!

I did read last week that it is NEVER normal for a child to snore regularly and loudly. But I read that it can also be due to allergies. I know that I have never had allergies myself, but am feeling the effects of all the tree pollen right now, which is very high here in the northeast. So it's possible he's developed an allergy, or is just sensitive to all the pollen in the air. Either way, take him to an ENT asap, because that type of snoring isn't normal.

I agree with everyone else 100%, but as far as the noise goes, you might look into a sound machine or white noise and cancel out other noises in the house. It should help you and the rest of the family sleep.

M.,

My 9 year old is a active young boy with lots and lots of allergy issues - food and outdoor - and by the time he was 6 months old he was snoring like a grown man - that really didn't bother me or him because it never really interrupted his sleeping - which eventually we figured out why. My pediatrican and I always keep a close eye on him due to his allergies and asthma. At about 6 years old, I needed to tear out my basement due to flooding and mold - none of my children were around for this, however on the night of their return my son had a major asthma attack and was sent to the hospital - due to the mold. This started the immediate process of seeing an allergiest as well as an ENT doctor. They decided at that point to have his adenoids and tonsils removed. Since then my son - who was such a heavy sleeper that he always peed in the bed (and this was because in fact he was never really getting any sleep due to his apnea) and had the "stop breathing" sleep - had an actual 100% turn around.

Since his treatment - and lots of ice cream later - his asthma has never reoccurred (Thank God & knock on wood) and he sleeps a healthy sleep and can even get up to pee and go back to sleep without a problem. He still has allergies - but they are controllable with Nasonex and Cingular during the Spring and Fall seasons.

My suggestion would be definitely to seek a ENT & allergiest as soon as you can..although they may have you wait until he turns 7 just to make sure that his adenoids may shrink (which they did for my son - although his were already the size of an adults by the age of 5) the operation may be the next best thing for you and your son.

I sorry for such a lengthy story but I hope it helps.

My daughter had the same problem, large adenoids. They wanted to remove them but we hesitated. She didn't have any recurring throat infection issues like strep, so we just dealt with the snoring. Her speech was also a little nasal because of the size of the adenoids. Good news is that today, she is 8 and they have reduced in size. She still occasionally snores, but nothing like when she was younger. My suggestion would be to just let him be, maybe prop him up a little at night to give him a little help with the issue.
Anne

Please M. - I am up coz I can't sleep so of course here - I am at the computer- but I HAD to write to you.
My little one snored also and you know what - she was a GREAT sleeper - she slept for 12 hours even!! (sometimes more) I always thought- well she just needs more sleep than her older sister does. well, A couple of incidences with the croup (when she was sick)- and visits to the e.r. =coz I just couldn't stand to hear how loudly she was breathing (scared the life out of me) brought me to the pediatrician one too many times.
I just re-read your post - if you see him ACTUALLY STRUGGLING FOR AIR - what are you waiting for - get him to another doctor!!!!!
PLEASE!!!!

I will tell you that I truly believe that your son is actually NOT sleeping well. I brought my little girl to an ear/nose/throat doctor and she had large adenoids (she also never had throat infections etc.) and we had them removed (she was about 4 years old).
Please know that IMMEDIATELY after the surgery, my Jessica was sleeping well - but ended up sleeping fewer = a more normal amount of hours.
I truly believe what I thought was her just needing more sleep was really that she was exhausted from NOT GETTING THE PROPER SLEEP - which is something we as parents CANNOT tell just from looking at the child.
Truthfully - you know your gut is telling you something is wrong. If he is breathing like he is not getting enough air, THEN HE IS NOT GETTING ENOUGH AIR. One visit to the e.r., a nurse came over to me and said you ALWAYS have to go with your gut instincts. Think about it = this kind of breathing is maybe all he knows - how would he know to tell you - Mommy I am having a hard time breathing?
M. - please if you are actually seeing your little boy STRUGGLING FOR AIR - what are you waiting for? Get him to another doctor - have him evaluated - what good is humidified air if something is actually blocking his ability to breathe.
Help your little guy get the proper quality of life - see a pediatric ear/nose and throat doctor - quickly. If you are in the Queens or Long Island area, Dr. Zelman in Garden City is tops in his field. There are others too -
I wish you well - your son needs you to fix this problem for him, what a difference in my daughter - she is 7 now.
If you need any more info or need to 'talk' please e-mail me back.
Sorry for my zealous response - but the thought of a child having trouble breathing totally flips me out (because I have been through it and it does NOT need to be that way).
wishing you well,

Hi M. - Both of my boys have had their adnoids out and even though you may think your son is sleeping well - he most likely isn't and that can affect how well he does in school. My son Billy seemed to sleep really well but once he had them out, he seemed even more rested. If you live in CT I can suggest a wonderful ENT for you: David Karas: http://www.ctentkids.com/med%20David%20CV.htm. He has an office in Norwalk as well. Cannot say enough aabout how great he is. Very personable in addition to excellent care. You could even just give him a call and let him know your concerns. Both of my kids' snoring would keep us up even from down the hall!

Also, once the boys had their adnoids and tonsils (theirs were huge!) out, their eating became better as well. I am not sure if you have that problem.

Good luck to you.

my daughter who just turned 4 has been snoring since 1 week old. We hear her all night. sounds like she gasps for air at differnet times thru the night. We have went numerous times to pediatrican and i've always mentioned the snoring. I went to see an ENT. He took an xray and scoped her thru the nose (takes 10 seconds and does not hurt) he said her adnoieds are extremely enlarged and is blocking her airway by atleast 80%. He suggested removing them. 2 years ago i said a differnet ENT who suggested the same thing, but I was nervous. This time I said to myself something has to be done. she has hers removed actually this past thursday. she is doing really well no issues or complications. No more snoring, and finally a good nights rest. no more tossing and turning.

Both my boys had problems with their adnoids and eventually developed throat issues which forced them to have the tonsils and adnoids removed. My boys ENT had put them on nasonex year round and insisted it was safe, but their pediatrician didn't recommend it year round. It is definitely worth speaking to your ENT about.
Also, my ENT had told me that the adnoids start to shrink around 13 years old, so if he has not throat issues you may just have to wait it out.

hi there, i have a 2 year old who used to snore but he had large tonsils and lots of ear infections. We have recelntly had our tonsils and adneoids removed and grommits inserted in his ears. If i were you i would go to a ENT specialist and have him checked. He might have sleep apina sp? who knows. M ylittle one is sooo much better since his surgery. AS for your little one i would worry about him coming up for air. In a 3 month span Peteys tonsils grew!!! Its just a suggestion. Good luck, M.
ps my husband drives me crazy too!!!!! ha

Hi M., It sounds like you need to see an ENT dr. I don't know if you have insurance or if you do how it works- but with ours we do not need a referral so we just went to one. I don't know where you are located but if you are anywhere in Orange Cty. there is a GREAT pediatric ENT @
Hudson Valley ENT- Dr. Jacobowitz. 2 of my 3 boys go to him- the 3rd lucked out & doesn't need to! Their office is in Middletown just near the Galleria. Hope this helps, good luck.

1 / 3