5 Year Old Sick All the Time

Has anyone else had a child sick all winter? I'm at my wits end and don't know what to make of this. My 5 year old has caught every cold, flu, strep, bronchitis and ear infection possible this winter. We eat healthily, she was breast fed, her sleep is good, we give her acidophilus after antibiotics. She is in preschool a few days a week, but this isn't her first year so I didn't expect that to have so much impact. My doctor says we've just had bad luck but I'm wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this. Is there anything we can do or should be concerned about? Any words of wisdom?

There are so many things that could contribute to her being sick, so don't beat yourself up over it. You've done so many great things to try to promote health, but breastfeeding, good sleep, probiotics - none of them are 'magic bullets' that will keep people from getting sick. Yes, they'll certainly help but kids get sick. It's a fact of life! Please don't think that because your kid is getting sick you've failed - it really has nothing to do with that (I say this not because I think you have failed; I say this because a few of my friends felt the same way, like a 'where did I go wrong?').

The only thing I could think of would be limited contact with other children. If she hasn't spent a lot of time with other children, she may not have been exposed to different illnesses and her body might just be doing a little bit of catching up. Although I have no scientific basis for this casual observation, among my group of friends more of the kids of moms who worked noticed their kids getting sicker younger and more of the kids of sahms noticed their kids getting sicker later. My kid started daycare at 9 months and immediately got sick. His first year in daycare he got sick a lot. Now he is in his second year and he's been sick once, despite the fact that this has been a pretty treacherous winter illness season. Again, I'm not stating this as fact and certainly it could go the other way.

I know it must be difficult to see your child so sick, but just keep on doing what you're doing and keep on giving her that TLC! Fortunately spring is just around the corner (let's hope so; this cold and snow in April sucks!).

I found liquid echinacea, 2 weeks on & one week off for several months made for fewer & milder colds.

My daughter was sick almost all the time winter or not, its like she would get better one week and then be sick again the next...turns out she needed to have her toncils out, once they were out she hasnt been sick since and that was las May! ! I also agree with the other moms that she will grow out of it, especially since she is in preschool, there are many germs in the room and many sick little children!

Hello! My first son was sick all of the time when he was in daycare. He pretty much grew out of it. I wouldn't worry about it if all of her other habits are ok and the doctor says not to worry. If you're really worried, you can get a second opinion. I hope this helps.

A.
http://thesecretpays.com/acorp
www.freedomathometeam.com/acorpuz

I feel your pain. We have had everything under the sun this winter. There has been so much junk going around schools this year. It has been a very bad year. The best is to wash hands diligently and especially upon coming home from school. Also use clorox wipes as much as possible in the bathrooms. Other than that there isn't much more that you can do. I've just been taking it day by day and praying for warm weather to finally come and stay.

1 / 3