5 Year Old Not Waking Up

I have a 5 almost 6 year old boy who is hard to wake up in the mornings. We get up at 7:00 am to get ready for school and I have to fight to get him out of bed! When he first started kindergarten he would wake up before the alarm most of the time. His bedtime is 8:00pm but he doesn't actually go to sleep until almost 9. Do you think 7 is too early to put him to bed? Does anyone else have this problem? any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I have a 5 year old that has to be up at 6:30 to get ready for school and he is in bed around 7:30 every night. He is usually asleep by not later than 8:30 and he has not been hard to get up in the morning at all. I think that they are getting worn out at school so they are more tired at night. I do not think that 7 pm is to early.

Hello no 7 is not to early to go to bed my nephew is 9 he still goes to bed at 7 school wears these kids out he asks if he can go when my kids were little at 6:00 pm they got their bath either watch a calm movie or read no gameboys nothing that gets them hyper they start winding down and soon as it was time for bed they were asleep in no time somekids need more sleep

It sounds like he's still tired. Try moving it forward by 30minutes until you've found a time that seems to help him get the sleep he needs. Good-luck!

My daughter has also been giving me trouble. She is just so tired. We have been dealing with this with all of our children since the beginning of the school year and we chose to move the bedtimes up to 7:30 p.m. It seems so early and makes our evenings rushed, but everyone is less cranky. I guess when summer comes, we might think of going back to later bedtimes when they can sleep in in the morning.

assuming - this is not a medical issue with an underlying cause like sleep apnea that requires seeing a dr, then:

well at age five (though not necessarily under the age of three) I think the "LOve and Logic" approach to children is better, in most cases. Let him experience being late to school a couple of times. set it up with a friend or family member that you leave without him..or do something in the morning that has you from the house...and they take him late to school..and he "pays" for this either with allowance or a special toy that goes away for good.

of course this requires some advance discussion with him on your next steps if he doesn't find a way to solve the problem.

books I read say kids can start solving basic problems at age 4.5 years old...your son is a great age to start experiencing consequences of unwise choices.

Hi M. I am having the same sort of problem with my son.
His bedtime is 9 pm but by the time he gets done fiddle farting around it is 9:30, 10 pm and then he wants to be an A$$ in the morning.
It seems like when he is just sitting on the couch he is ready to fall asleep but once he goes to lay down in his bed, he decides he needs to "clean" his room. I am also looking at things that he is eating at night. I don't have junk food in the hose nothing like candy and cookies or anything but I am making sure he isn't drinking pop or anything sugary before bed. We also have a well balanced meal at every dinner, last night we had grilled pork chops, Chedder Broccoli rice, corn and mandarin oranges. He ate all of this but still wanted a snack an hour and a half later. What we have noticed though is that all of his jeans we bought him at the begining of this school year (which were to big) are now like 3 inches to short, so I'm wondering if one doesn't have to do with the other growing+more of an appetite = being hungry before bedtime and in return taking longer to fall sleep. I'm sorry I didn't really give much advice but more to let you know that you are not the only one going through this. I think also my son has a hard time shutting his mind down from the busy day. I think the one thing I am going to try is sending him to his room at 8:30 pm with a book and teeling him to read it and when it is over he has to lay down, I don't know if this may help.

M.,

7:00pm is not too early to get him ready for bed. Give him time to wind down; no TV, a bath, a book, etc. By the time you do all this, it will probably be 7:45, and he should fall right to sleep. I have known many people who have done this. This also gives you more of a break in the evening and should cut down on the stress in the morning.

T. P.

First of all what is his diet like? Is he eating alot of sugary foods late in the day. If he has a snack after dinner make sure it is a high protein food and always start off the day with protein. It prevents energy highs and lows. 7:00 is definitely not too early for bed. At least aim for that and by the time he winds down he may actually get to sleep around 8:00 as you were hoping. Also there are a couple of accupressure points you can stimulate to soothe and to wake him. To soothe or calm him at night try this: Have your son lay quietly and tell him to close his eyes and listen to himself breathe. While he does this rub the top of his ear between your fingers for several minutes. To wake him: rub his sternum up and down vigorously. I am a mother of 3 and a Doctor of Chiropractic. If you have any questions I can be reached at ###-###-####. - DR. C

Yeah, I think 7:00 is too early especially with the time change and it being so light out at that time. I think you would be causing a battle you don't want to have. There's no way I could get my kids to go to bed that early by the time we have dinner, homework and baths etc.... it's already 7:00 then they have an hour to do what they want movie games etc.. My kids 6,5 & 3 go to bed at 8:00 also sometimes 8:30 if things don't go as planned. Thankfully my 6 yr old doesn't have much trouble getting up. I've had to wake him up at 7:00 since the time change. He used to be up before me. You might try getting him his own special alarm clock. My kids have a spiderman alarm clock that is "CRAZY". It's kind of loud but spider man walks up a wall and tries to catch a Villian and it says "You can't catch me SPIDERMAN". Put his alarm clock across the room and have him be responsible for turning it off. It might help.-----Good Luck-----J. C

First of all stay a SAHM!!! I started doing lia sophia full time and am financially able to remain at home. If you want more info, let me know. It was nothing to start and I make almomst $1500 a month.

My 6 year old kindergartener does the same thing. So I backed the bedtime up to 7:30 in which he would actually get up a little better in the mornings. They have such a long day at school that they need the rest. Make sure he is not taking a nap in between as this will throw it way off. Plus, it always good to have that extra time for yourself, your younger baby or even your husband. You may try waking him up at 6:30 to make him a bit more tired at bedtime too.

Best wishes.

I have three boys who up until their 7th bday had a 7pm bedtime. My boys are 11,9 and 7. The younger two are currently ready for bed at 7 and may read until 8, however the youngest still occassionally goes to bed earlier than 8. The 11 year old is allowed reading time until 830pm. Having the quiet reading time calms them and also gives my husband and I time to be with one another. There are occassional nights where this is not the case (i.e. church night) but for the most part it is the norm. Good luck

1 / 3