5 Year Old Has Bad Breath

Our 5 year old daugther has terrible halitosis despite brushing her teeth and tongue twice a day and flossing. We have even tried the kids mouth wash. Her dentist says that she has no cavities either. We have even had a her tested for Helicobacter pylori, which came back negative. Her tonsils and adenoids were surgically removed at age 2 years secondary to snoring and sleep apnea. Does any mother out there have any ideas that we have not already tried?

Good morning Great Moms,

Thank you all for your quick response and input/ideas etc. After reading all your responses, I think our next step is to revisit her pediatrician and ENT doc to evaluate her sinuses. We have exhausted the GI avenue i.e got her tested for parasites, x-ray etcs. I will give you an update once we see her docs again. I will also try the Listerine mouth wash and Melaleuca dental line too.
Thank you all once again.

We had this similar problem, and started using a Scooby Doo mouthwash (berry flavored, available at most drug or grocery stores), that tastes good and shows my son where to brush (as it leaves blue tint where he needs to go back over). It's made a difference in that he just brushes longer, and it has mouthwash in it. For what it's worth...

They have some new stuff out on the market that would help. It is Listerine brand pre-brush, it is cool for the kids because they swish in their mouth for 30 seconds or so and it leaves color in their mouth until they brush right after. It comes in two flavors cool mint and bubble gum.. Listerine is the best for gingivitis and such too..SO try it and see if it helps...

Not trying to be gross here...

How long has your daughter had it? My 4 year old nephew had developed halitosis and for two months, back forth with the Pediatrician and Dentist, no one could explain it or find a solution to it. One day my brother decided to look for himself. He checked his nose and mouth. Low and behold, there it was. Something shoved up his nose.

They took him back to the Ped. and he said that my nephew had shoved a piece of Nerf Ball up his nose so far that no one seen it. With time, it had started to come back down the nasal cavity. They were able to pull it out without surgery. It was disgusting; covered in mold and all. Of course he had a nose bleed for a while too.

He was so happy and took a deep breath through his nose and said "that smells better."

You may want to test her body pH. Bad breath can be from eating too many acidic foods, turning the stomach acidic. When this happens, a lot of unfriendly smelly bacteria stay in the digestive tract. You can read more and get pH test strips at www.pHion.com. Many people have this from eating too many french fries, meat, soda, etc. and it also leads to all other types of problems.

I talked to my doctor about my 4yo daughter's bad breath -- hers was caused by a sinus infection.

Because you mentioned your daughter had her tonsils and adenoids removed at such an early age and snored w/ sleep apnea, I would suggest you see an allergist. Sounds like she may have a food allergy. My oldest son used to have terrible breath and we found out he is allergic to wheat and milk. Now he is fine. He use to have eczema and asthma and no longer has any problems with either one of those. So food allergies can cause more problems than just stomach upset. Hope this helps. A.

I have heard of this before but never had to go through it. I read a couple times that parents couldn't figure out why their child had the worst breath and took the child to the doctor and come to find out that the child stuck something up their nose. The kids were fine just bad breath. I don't want to alarm you but if you tried everything else you may want your pediatrician to check there. You know kids they will put anything anywhere that doesn't seem possible.

my son has bad breath when he has a sinus infection. worth checking out. antibiotics can clear it up. his was severe and took a month of antibiotics. hes fine now. also, be sure she eats yogurt or drinks yogurt drinks. puts good bacteria back in your system after a cold, etc. keifer has a good brand with little or no sugar in it - laban is the name from the middle east for it - really helps with everything - you'd be surprised.

1 / 3