5 Year Old Failed School Hearing Test

We got a note today that our daughter needs to have a follow up on her hearing test that they did at the school. She's never had ear or hearing problems (just not listening...LOL), no ear infections, wax, speech problems, or any other indicators of a hearing problem. Has anyone had this happen? What was wrong? Was it failed at school and fine at the doctor? Thanks!

Edit: I did kinda wonder if she didn't follow instructions or was fidgety, I wouldn't doubt that a bit! ;)

Follow it up at the doctors, and then if it is fine, report it to the school. At five many kids don't understand the instructions about the hearing test.

My daughter failed her hearing test at that age and the one the next year because she wasn't listening or paying attention , she is ADHD.
And my son failed because of ear wax lol!

Do you have a children's hospital around you? They have very good, state of the art equipment. Take her there for a hearing test. That one trumps the school test. Also, and this is important, ask for a tympanogram when you make the appointment. That checks the ear pressure. The ENT there can tell you exactly what is going on with her hearing with these two tests.

I had the same problem with my son at the same age. I knew he had great hearing because he had tubes in his ears and we went to an ENT for 3 years. I asked him what happened he said he was nervous and decided not to raise his hand when he heard a beep. Ask your daughter how the test was. Either way no big deal to get her checked. Usually it's nothing. My Gf was sent a note home and she took her son in and all was fine. It depends on the machine, technician and enviornement, but I wouldn't worry.

My son failed a hearing test at school and we had to go to the pediatrician for a follow up , he was fine and turns out at the time of the school exam he just wasn't listening/cooperating as he should have been.

I would have her hearing checked by a profesional. SHe could have a slight hearing problem and you would not even know.

She may have simply not cooperated with them for the test. My boys act like they don't hear people talking to them if they don't want to talk. They can hear a whisper across a room so I know they can hear just fine.

We have a little girl with severe learning disabilities at church. She is adopted by an older family. She has had multiple hearing test given by the state while she was still in foster care and they insist that she is profoundly deaf, but she can hear birds chirping outside or her adoptive parents calling her from behind in a whisper. I think she just choose not to cooperate. She does not talk, but they know she can hear because she imitates the birds chirping outside when she is in the house with all the doors and windows closed and the chirping is barely audible and she will turn when you whisper her name from behind. The adoptive parent have told them that she can hear and explained how he knew she could hear and they basically told him he was crazy and that she definitely can't hear anything at all. LOL. I do agree that she is about half blind, but she is not stone deaf. She can hear.

We had that happen with a vision test. Turns out she really needed glasses, BAD! Her vision was pretty messed up. I always thought she was stubborn because she wanted the story RIGHT IN FRONT of her! Turns out she couldn't see! Talk about mommy guilt.
She failed the school test, failed the pediatritions test, failed the eye doctor test...now she has glasses and is doing great! I am so thankful we found it before Kindergarten started.
I know you were only joking, but maybe it is that she can't hear well and not that she isn't listening! Just because she has never had any problems with her ears, doesn't mean that she can't have hearing problems. better to get it checked out (which I am sure you are already planning)...

First of all, it's only a preliminary test. However, these tests are administered for a reason, and what a boon to have these results early! Hearing issues are often hard to recognize, and sometimes there are no signs.

The school my two children attend is screening on Monday. While I hope my kids go through the screening fine, I'm not sure what the results will be. However, knowing something might be wrong is better than not knowing. Your doctor's assessment will say far more (and that is why the screening didn't indicate exactly what was going on--and suggested she see her doctor). I know that false alarms are common enough, but try to make sure that you go to the doctor as calmly as possible. Your child is still your child, still wonderful, still fantastic... and if she does have hearing issues, they are likely to be workable, since she has shown no signs of them prior to this screening.

I would not worry. But I would go to the doctor to find out exactly what is going on (if anything is). Good luck!

1 / 3