5 Year Old Daughter Has Been Scratching Her Privates a Lot.

She says her pee pee tickles or itches a lot. This started 6 months ago at age 4 1/2
She is always touching her private part .I've made sure she is clean and all of that. She is just trying to scratch an itch sorta.
Is this normal for a 5 year old? Is it just a stage?

Take her to a doctor. I got an infection from bubble bath at her age and had to use prescription creme
She probably has a yeast infection.

Whoa! I can't believe the number of folks that are trying to "diagnose" her. You need to take her to the pediatrician. Yes, she could have some sort of allergy or infection, but many girls at this age get a bit itchy because they lack estrogen. For this, pediatrician's recommend a little vasoline. The bottom line is that you won't know what is wrong until you take her to the doctor.

We had similar problem with my DD1. I took her to pediatrician, thinking it was yeast infection or bladder infection. Turned out to be lichen sclerosis. Please go to pediatrician.

I have actually seen several little girls do this (about the same age). I've taken note because I would wonder if they needed to go potty but then it just looked more like they were scratching. It may not be "normal" but I don't think it's terribly uncommon. I think a trip to the doctor should be in order but I would also start washing her clothes in a scent and dye free detergent (no fabric softener either). See if this changes anything over time. Think about anything she's exposed to in the bath. Try something more natural with no scent. Definitely have the doc rule out eczema, yeast, etc. Lastly, a daily probiotic wouldn't hurt!

I would take her to doctor it sounds like it may be an infection.

my daughter does the same thing...but I don't think she wipes good. It seems that after a bath she is fine, but as the day goes on she scratches by the end of the day she is scratching quite a bit. but once again after bath she is fine. but I say if you arent sure ask your doctor...you never know. better safe than sorry. I haven't talked to the dr, I really think she isn't wiping good. Good Luck!

she could be allergic to her bubble bath or baths in general, baths can deprive girls and women of our delicate ph system and cause havoc, shes 5, try letting her shower with a special shower head for kids and see if that helps.

She probably has a yeast infection.

she might have a yeast infection or a bladder infection. i would take her to the doc. six months is a while for it to be bothering her still. i know you said you checked it to be sure it was clean. just take her in to find out if its something else. if not then you could address when its approperiate to be messing with your privates. i only mention this last part because its so weird to see a grown man adjusting himself in public. good luck.

She may be allergic to bubble bath or bath soap or she may not be rinsing the off enough. She may be allergic to the toilet tissue. If it's scented or colored, definitely try stop using it. Use an unscented bath soap and laundry detergent. She may also be allergic to the detergent in which you're washing her panties. Or she may have an infection.

Her privates may be reacting to whatever is on her hands when she starts touching or scratching them; an allergy or sensitivity to hand lotion for example. Are you sure she's scratching an itch? My granddaughter often has her hand in her panties and is holding them as a form of security/comfort. I can imagine that she may be feeling a tingling like sensation.

Have the doctor take a look at it, it's probably a fungal thing and they'll prescribe something or let you know what over the counter med to use. \

If she's not wiping well she may just feel really irritated. My daughter (4 1/2) gets that way sometimes, and when she does I put Desitin on her to help her skin stay protected and heal.

Some of the advice you have been given is inaccurate. DO NOT use Vagisil or any femail yeast infection creme that adult women use. According to my pediatrician those should NOT be used on children. Use foot fungus creme that is for athletes foot.

Definitely not common. I have 2 sisters and I babysat all through highschool as well as worked in a daycare with toddlers and this is definitely not normal. I would definitely talk to your pediatrician. She could be allergic to something, or it could be a UTI. Better to be safe than sorry so I would have it checked out!

I'm sure others have said the same thing, but see your pediatrician. It is not uncommon for little girls to have urinary tract infections, with exactly the symptoms you're describing.

I agree with Amanda--- try giving her just showers for awhile and see if this changes. Also, there is over the counter aloe vera gel that you could put on when she wakes up and before going to bed at night. That may help.

M

She might not be wiping herself well enough. My almost 3 year old is always having that problem because she doesn't let me know when she needs to be wiped, she thinks she is a big girl who can do it herself. Not saying your daughter can't do it, she's certainly old enough to wipe herself, but if you haven't supervised her doing it for awhile, maybe just happen to go in the bathroom one of these times she's in there going and watch out of the corner of your eye to see if she's wiping properly if at all.
Otherwise, it might just be a yeast infection...some children/people are just prone to them because they have a lot of yeast in their systems.

vagasil just like you would do you. probably a yeast infection get her checked.

I would have the doctor check her out. Sometimes (in the winter) I will go a day without giving my 5 yr old a bath because her skin gets real dry because she does get eczema. But I know try to give her daily baths because her privates would get a little irritated as well. It would look a little red and irritated. When she had her yearly physical, the doc looked at it and said it looked like vaginitis so they tested her. It was nothing. I think it was just from not being clean or wiping properly. We keep her clean and used Neosporin. Also the doc said to use a mixture of vinegar and water with a squirt bottle (just on the outsides) to keep the outside clean. But, like I said - check with the doc!

My daughter has done this for years, please help me too....

Updated

Updated

Updated