5 Year Old Complaining of Head Ache

My 5 year old daughter has been complaining of a headache or her head hurting for the past 3 days. She has also started blinking her eyes repeatedly. I don't know if her eyes are causing her headaches or not. She just had an eye exam and the doctor said she's great so I don't know what else it could be? Is it normal for 5 year olds to get headaches?

Thanks everyone for the responses! I have been watching what she's been eating and making sure that she is drinking plenty of water. She hasnt had a headache in 2 days!!! She still has the blinking issue so we will be going to the doctor for that but thanks for all your opinions!!! Happy Valentine's Day to all the great and wonderful mother's out there!!!!

Take her to the doctor. Headaches can be a sign of serious issues, and not-so-serious ones. Please get her evaluated by a medical professional, do not rely on internet "diagnosis", no matter how well-intentioned.

LisaD

I know that my daughter used to get headaches...probably from being over tired. I was never super concerned just because she would only get them now and again. Anyway, whenever she started complaining of a headache I would have her lay down and give her a cold damp washcloth to put on her head. That always seem to give her some relief. Just an idea to try.

LisaD

Every time my son gets a headache, he has strep throat. He never gets a sore throat with it - just a headache. Sounds strange, but I hear it's pretty common. I'd get her cultured just to be safe, especially if a fever is there.

take her to the Doctor.

For the eye exam, was it just her Pediatrician or an Opthamologist?

I think it sounds like allergies too. Her eyes may be itchy and that's why she's blinking. Other signs of allergy can be dark circles under the eyes and rubbing her nose a lot.

Is she getting enough water? Sometimes in winter it is really easy to forget that we need lots of water, it's so dry and we can easily become dehydrated. I'd try pushing the fluids more.

In addition vitamin D deficiency can cause headaches. You can get vitamins for kids to give her that extra boost of D.

Also, limit screen time. TV, computer, video games. I think the water should take care of it but if nothing works within a week, I'd take her to the pediatrician.

It sounds like allergies. I get headaches for several days especially when snow hangs out then its wet and damp. Then we get sun then no sun. It could be a lot of other things too like not enough water.

Sometimes - yes, but if it does not get better in a day. Go to a doc. Also - did she hit her head or something. Maybe she's catching going down with the flu..

could she have a sinus infection or be a diabetic
when my sugar is out of whack I can have problems seeing or a headache

1 / 3