5 Year Old Can't Stay on Task

I have a 5 year old in Kendergarden this year. He is younger than must of kids because his birthday is in Aug...he just turned 5 were others are turning 6. Anyway I am getting messages on almost a daily basis that he can not get his work done, he can't make good choices and on and on. He is never mean and alway poilet. He was in Pre-K3 and Pre-K4. I know he would probly stuggle but the teacher actually asked me questions like "who is doctor" and "think about talking to the doctor and see what he says" Now there are some days that he will be fine, so I know he can do it, but out of 5 days maybe 2 he will get it right. The teacher has even told me that as far as his acidemics, he is on track. I really don't know how to help him....and I don't want him on meds. She asked me if I have any suggestions and of course I had none...she is going to start putting him by himself to see if that helps.

Any one out there have any suggestions of things we can try at home and/or school??

I am thinking it is just the age. If the academics are not suffering then i wouldnt worry much. When my son was that age i would have him do things but if he spend more that just a few minutes on it he was not interested anymore. I would suggest that limit time on each activity. If he starts to lose interest or be off task then i would add some excitement to it or move on. If his academics were affected i would think more about ADD. Good luck

Hey,
I know what you are saying i had the same problem with my 9year old she was young and the teacher said it would be a good idea for her to stay one more year in kindergarden well i agreed and well now she is in 3rd grade and is on med. i she is 9 and there are days that i look at her and cry she is so skinny but the doctors tell me that she is fine i would not put him on med either it is ok for her now other then being skinny now

Hey,

I can't believe what some of these people are saying to you about holding your son back!! Let's try to figure out the problem without resorting to medication or making him repeat a grade. I got so much flack from parents about making my kid wear the same clothes as punishment, I can't imagine that a kid wouldn't be humiliated by being in the same grade twice.

Maybe he needs to be tested academically. I have had the same issue with my daughter. Her birthday is in June, but she went to a private kindergarten in chicago before me moved here to GA. I was disciplining her for the yellow lights thinking that she was just playing in school. Until I talked to the teacher and was told that she was on schedule with her academics. Which made me think that maybe she was bored. I took her to Sylvan to have her tested and she is reading on a 1st grade level and math on a 2nd grade level. I talked to the school about this and they have refused to move her a grade because she isn't 6. So i'm pulling her out of that school and she'll be starting 1st grade next week at a new school.

I know as parents we sometimes think that the neighborhood school that's convienent for us or the school with the best testing scores are the best locations for our kids, but they're not in daycare and pre-k anymore. They have developed into real people now with specific needs. I guess it just takes some time and several yellow lights to figure out what it is they need.

My daughter is now 7, but since beginning Kinder, has had problems staying on task, following directions, and now, screams or just makes silly noises when the class is quietly working. I've taken her to a counselor (great- never mentioned meds) and after IQ test, she was diagnosed with ADHD. You might want to check into that because if you can catch it early, the child has better chance of learning how to redirect distractedness w/o meds. I am not saying that I am necessarily succeeding, but at it's the fight that counts. Doc's name is Osbourne off of Lawrenceville Hwy.

Hi D.,
I work for PIA - Partners In Achievement. We work with children such as your 5 year old. My office is in Conyers. We have another in Athens GA. and others around the country. Currently I work with a 6year old who has similiar issues as your 5 year old. I "play" games with him, which in turn sharpens his cognitive skills. The "games" help with attention, focus, strengthening auditory skills, and more. Call the center nearest you for more info.

Hi, Your email caught my eye because I have a 5 year old daughter and we had the same problem last year in Pre K-4. My daughter's birthday is in August also, so she was the youngest in her Pre K-4 class. I was getting the same type of feedback from her teacher about lack of attention, etc. I could tell that the teacher was very frustrated with her and my daughter was begining to dislike school. I, of course, was worried about ADD or ADHD. Luckily, the school she goes to this year wanted her to be in Pre K-4 again because of her August birthday. She is doing great and so happy. One more year of maturity makes a huge difference. She is now the oldest child in her class and we think she just needed more time to mature. I know ADD is a real problem for some children, but please give your son a chance to mature a little more before letting someone "diagnose" him and put him on medication. Good luck to you and your son! A.

Perhaps he is just bored. I was as a very hyper kid and medications did not work. I often got so bored I didnt want to finish the work. Age doesnt really matter I dont think, I was young also. He may need a little more of a challenge. If he can stay on task sometimes and not others it could be her teaching methods or he may dislike the lesson or the teacher herself. You just have to sit him down and get his point of view and how he feel and what he thinks. It worked for me.

D.,
You have told my story exactly my son also has his birthday in aug. and he went to pre-k3 and pre-k4. When he started kindergarten we had all kinds of problems with him staying on task but his grades were very good on all testing. The teacher and I tried everything we could think of from Behavior charts to even Isolation (something I would never recommend). Finally I took him to the Helen Ross McNabb Childrens Center in Knoxville here they tested him and we found out that he is ADD. They taught me how to work with him and explained what is going on in his head. I know you sayed you are against medication I was to but once I learned how much it could help I welcomed it. Now he is in the 2nd grade and his behavior grade has went from a F to an A and he so much more happy. I am not saying to medicate your child but at least talk to someone and get him tested.

1 / 3