5 Year Old Armpits Stinky!

My son who is 5, has some stinky armpits. I mean, he smells just like a man with bad BO. Is he too young for deordorant? Help!

Hi. No, he isn't too young. I'll make this short. :-)
Both my daughters were early in this area, too. My first was BARELY in Kindergarten (5yrs) and my second was barely 6 when she began stinking up the air! I know of several others who have gone through this, also...

Come to find, this is totally common. My son had to use deodorant every day (ditto SH, arm & hammer is fantastic) for all of kindergarten & half of last year. Then his hormones settled, and he's smell free again.

Well... mostly. Interestingly, even though he's in sports 2+ hours a day and doesn't smell afterward if he throws a temper tantrum... whew! The stink! It lasts for about 24 hours after the tantrum.

Definitely go with an aluminum-free deodorant for your son.

One reason for BO is hormones. Make sure the meat and dairy products you are consuming are hormone-free.

I am sure you'll get plenty of this same response, but the only thing I have heard in way of advice is that you don't want to get a child any type of antiperspirant because kid's pores need to breathe and perspire.

I am allergic to many types of deodorants and found a natural, salt spray (I found it at my local Sprouts store) that works really well for me so far.

I hope that you are able to find something that works alright for your little guy.

Take care,

What goes in must come out...that is the duality of everything.

Look at what you are feeding him. Yes, some people are more prone to body odor, but it can be controlled and often cured. Diet is SOOOOOOOO important. Are you feeding him C.R.A.P.? Caffeine, Refined Sugar, Additives and Preservatives? What is his breakfast? What is he drinking?

In the meantime, use a natural deodorant. We use the crystal found in any health food store. PLEASE stay away from anything that has SLS (Sodium Laurel(th) Sulfate).

If you need more guidance, let's connect!

Family Success Coach

not sure if it is harder or easier to do it in rural area: remove all refined sugars and processed food for few month. if need be, feed him with eggs and veggies - the fastest way to eat Whole Foods : ) no cold cereals (or hot cereals "out of the packet"), no fruit juices, homogenized milk, sodas, white bread you get the idea. supplement his diet with good bacteria - whole milk yogurt w/o sugar and some omega 3,6,9 oil. my then 6 y.o. had bad breath and stinky feet when we did the above. went away in few weeks.
V.

if you go to a homeopathic store and ask for the clear rock for underarms it is natural and better than using a deodorant

Yes, kids can be stinky from this age... already. AND if YOU can smell him... then everyone else can, too. In my daughter's classes... this happened as well, from about Kinder to 1st Grade. And yes, the Teacher knows.

My daughter is 7... and she uses a natural "deodorant." NOT antiperspirant.
The Arm & Hammer brand, which is called "Essentials" and which is all natural, is what my daughter and even I use. Its good, and you can find it at any Long's or CVS or any store.

All the best,
Susan

1 / 3