5 Year Old All of a Sudden Having Nightmares?

I have a 5 year old daughter that all of a sudden has been having nightmares for no reason. She wakes up about an hour after she has fallen asleep screaming her head off and very afraid. I try to get her to talk about what she has been dreaming about so that way she can put it out of her head and not worry about it. But so far taht has not been helping. She also has been sick these last couple of weeks, just finishing up some antibiotics and has a major cough. I try not to medicate her all that much as she is prone to being asthmatic. I would like for her to be able to sleep through the night once again..... Any help would be appriciated

First off I want to thank everyone that has responed. The responses have been very helpful. We have gone through a couple of nights without her waking up screaming. Everyone in the household has been able to get a few good night sleeps. We are still concerned as she also has a tendancy to sleepwalk ( we have figured put that if she does not get a nap in she is more proned to this)and then we put "night terrors" on top of that, we kind of have our hands full with safety concerns for her. Thank you again!!!!

They could be night terrors. My son started having them at that age. there isnt anythig you can do. It usually comes from being overly tired or stimulated. Try having quiet time before bed, no tv or being overly active.

It sounds like your daughter is having night terrors. My girlfriend went throught this with her 3 year old son. She said it was very emotional. She showed me the information she got on it and I looked it up as well. They are in an awkward but normal phase of sleeping. They don't even know it's happening. They advise not waking them but simply holding and comforting them or leaving them alone. If they were woken up they would be confused as to what was happening and could make matters worse. I hope the scream free nights continue. Good luck. ~A.

Have you spoken to your daughter's Pediatrician about the sleepwalking? Unfortunately, sleep terrors can be combined with sleepwalking. Because your daughter is asthmatic, your doctor might want to order a sleep study...sleepwalking has been linked to sleep apnea. Children and adults with asthma can experience sleep apnea.

I don't have alot of time but I wanted to mention a few things.

Is your daughter on prednisone or prednisolone. If your daughter is as severe an asthmatic as mine , then you should be familiar with these drugs. Usually last resort before hospitalization. These are called steriods. As much as I don't care for the side effects, it work wonders.
FYI......if nobody has mentionedthis please be aware.

THE STERIODS THTA MY CHILD TAKES FOR ASTHMA IS A SEVERE MOOD ALTERING DRUG. i HAVE NEVER TASTED ANYTHING MORE DISGUSTING IN MY LIFE. (I HAVE TAKEN THE MEDS FOR HIVES, IT HAS MULTIPLE PURPOSES) iF YOUR CHILD CAN SWALLOW PILLS, PLEASE USE THE PILLS INSTEAD. i ALSO LEARNED THTA 5 M&M'S WILL KEEP THE MEDICINE DOWN, SHE USED TO THROW IT UP, EVERYTIME.(NOT THAT i BLAME HER)
However when I say MOOD ALTERING DRUG, 1% turn psychotic, 1 % euphoric, the rest everything inbetween. Also when I take it, my body reacts to it like speed. I can't slow down my thinking, I can't sleep to save my life and it can effect the appetite and cause swelling. Also the albuteral thta my daughter takes every 4 hours, is also a stimulant. This could be why she is not sleeping.
The albuteral also changes the way food tastes, so you might want to give it after meals and snacks if she has lack of appetite.

It could be night terrors and I don't know alot about them, sorry. Maybe instead of having her try to explain what is scaring, ask her to draw you a picture of what is bothering her and then ask her to explain the picture to you. This worked real well when my daughter saw an apporition/ghost.

I wish you all the luck in getting her back to sleep. If you have any further questions regarding the asthma, feel free to write me a personal note. I won't be able to respond over the weekend but would get back to you next week. I have alot of experience w/ asthma. My daughter was considered the worst asthmatic in middle school. I guess its good to be good at something!

H. B.

Being sick can cause it and so can being on medication. Check to make sure she is not having a high fever at night. This can cause hallucinations.

Once she is over the flu, if it still occurs, it may be a phase. Some kids go though it. My brother went though it and so is my son who is 7. There is a way to tick her mind at night. You get a dream catcher. This is from American Indian believes. It has been said that if you put this over your bed, it will catch the bad dreams.

I know it may sound hokey but so far it's working for my son.

Hope this helps,

Good Luck,

Nutritionist
www.Herbalmom.com

I don't know if you pray but the first thing I did when I had such bad nightmares is prayed for God to protect my mind and dreams. Some of the dreams may be from the cold and medicines so try and not let her watch anything on Television that might be scary. My daughter, who is 6, is very afraid of the dark so I try to talk to her and tell her that at night there is the same thing that you see when it is day time. I pray your daughter will get better soon. T.

I too suffered from night terrors when I was little. Dreams of wolves with red eyes & other creatures chasing me began at around age 3 & kept on for a couple years. I was able to sense things (spiritually) from a very young age & was never able to understand fully what any of it was. Now as an adult & Christian I know more and am no longer afraid. I wish my mother would have been closer to Christ when I was a child so fear wouldn't have been an issue for me. Like another Mother suggested, if your a believer prayer before bed may help her a lot.

My son had them as well. I did get a dream catcher for him. I told him the bad dreams would go into the catcher and only the good ones would come thru. It worked. I asked himt he next morning and he said no bad dreams.

1 / 3