5 Week Old Sleeping Too Much?

My daughter is 5 weeks 2 days. She sleeps all the time. For instance, last night she went to bed at 10pm, slept all the way through 4:30 am when we woke her up to eat. Went right back to sleep after 30 minutes. Woke up again at 8, changed her, fed her and was asleep by 8:35, and like this all day long. Maybe she spends 3 hours of awake time, which is what it takes for her to eat, be changed, and burp.
My question is, how long should I let her sleep at night before waking her up? I know you're supposed to just let them sleep, but she does not wake up on her own and I'm concerned about letting a 5 week old sleep for 9 hours straight without eating.
Does anybody else's 5 week old sleep that much?

Additional info: She's FF. We saw the pediatrician 2 days ago and said she was looking fine, but it seems that since then she has been sleeping even more

Any similar experiences or insight will be greatly appreciated

Additional info: FF = formula fed. She is not a preemie, was born three days after her due date

Hi Marynyc77:

It appears that she is fine. Each baby's different; she just sleeps longer than other babies. I would say, if she goes to sleep around 10pm, wake her up around 2am for feeding. My other suggestion is to give her a formula that is low in sugar, organic and low/no dairy, these can affect immune system and other body function, including sleep patterns.

All the best,
N.
Holistic Maternity Care Practitioner
www.WholeCreations.com
###-###-####

I say, "Never wake a sleeping baby!!" As long as she is happy, healthy and developing normally, she is probably fine. She is probably just going through a growth spurt. My son, who was only breastfed for the first several months started sleeping 6-7 hours straight by 2 weeks and was sleeping 10 hours straight at night by 6 weeks (consistantly). He was healthy, growing, and developing normally so I figured why would mess with his good sleep habits to have him feed every 3 hours?!! That would just get him in the habit of waking up to eat even if he didn't need it!! I figured he would wake up if he was hungry enough... but he never did... just cluster fed from 5pm to 9pm, but that was fine with me! I say let her sleep, atleast at night. You might want to try to keep her up a little more during the day. She is at the age where she might like some new toys, tummy time is important etc. Sing little songs with her or give her a massage... she might like more stimulation to keep her occupied....

Thank your lucky stars and get some rest!! My youngest daughter did the same thing at that age and I too was worried and would wake her to feed her until I realized I was nuts - not to imply you are:-). Until this day (at 4 1/2 years old) she likes her naps and has no problem going to bed at night. she is very cranky if she doesn't get her sleep. Enjoy as it could be the other way around.

I have a 6 week old daughter and at night, she is following the same patron as yours, she sleeps even 8 hours but I have not waken up her never. I just let her to sleep all she wants. She is growing fine. I;m breastfeeding her.
Hope this help you

Ummmm be happy she sleeps so long :) Mine slept the same way from the beginning -- always sleeping through the night. She's 20 months old now and still a SUPER sleeper. Her brother (7 months old) has been a HORRIBLE sleeper, comparatively. So, you are VERY lucky.

My pediatrician said its OK that she slept that long and said not to wake her up.

And mine are BF.

One more thing -- enjoy watching them sleep. I miss that now that she is older. Enjoy her as much as you can :)

Actually my three week old (this was a while ago) starting sleeping 12 hours a night. She was
8 lbs. 4 oz. at birth and full term formula fed. My motto is never wake a sleeping baby. She had a
good appetite and managed to get in what she needed during the day. She too was a sleepy
head. Remember she is only 5 weeks old. Trust me, she will wake up soon and realize, oh
there is a world out there!!!!!!!!! If your pediatrician is OK with things, catch up on your sleep while
you can. Obviously, if time goes on and you are concerned, go back to ped. Good luck and
enjoy your little one.

I let my babies sleep as much as they wanted as long as when it was feeding time I would wake them then let baby go back to sleep.I was asked why wake a sleeping bay to eat they aren't fussing to be feed,well after 3 or so hrs of not eating I felt that it was necessary to feed them.As for nite feedings I let them sleep didn't wake them until they woke themselves up.Patterns change baby may be going through a growth spurt when mine were babies they slept ate very lil & now they are 6yr,3 yr & 10 mo & still are the same way

Hi Marynyc77:

All the best,
N.
Holistic Maternity Care Practitioner
www.WholeCreations.com
###-###-####

Only knowing what you've mentioned, it sounds a little excessive. But, littles go through growing spurts around 3,6,9 weeks and 3,6,9 months. During this time, they eat and sleep more for 2-3 days. I also don't know what FF means.

1 / 3