*5 Month Old with VERY Long Lasting Cough*

I have a 5 month old little girl with a very nasty cough that has been ongoing for the past 3 months now! I have been to the doctors several times for this and all they have to say is that she has an upper respitory infection. In the beginning of August i finally got so fed up that i took her to see an allergy/asthma specialist. He told me that if this was true, then it should have been gone by now. He then sent me over to the hospital to have her chest x-rayed (came up normal) and he prescribed her to Amoxicillian for 2wks. Nothing has changed since and i just dont know what to do at this point. I've switched her formula but that made no difference... PLEASE- any suggestions let me know!!!

Oops! Forget to mention in the rush of writing my last request- I actually have had a cool mist humidifier in her bedroom since the beginning of the cough, and i also have been using the vicks on her little footsies w/socks as well as a lavender and eucalyptus rub on chest, neck, and back... And whats pretty neat is her humidifier actually has a spot to put vicks on so that when you turn on the humidifier, you actually breath in the vicks from the mist as well.. This is the second doctor i've been through with her because the last peds insisted on ignoring everything i had to say... Just so lost for hope at this point don't know what else to do. I have a follow up with the specialist this thursday so hopefully he will have more suggestions. I agree with the nebulizer idea though i think that would help even if just a tiny bit. And everytime i've suggested allergies/asthma to her peds, they all have told me the same thing "she is too young to diagnose her with either"... blahh- blahh- blahh!!! Fortunatly she hasn't had any fevers up until now. Maybe my best is to wait until thursday to see what the doc has to say...

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions ladies. I sincerely appreciate each of you taking the time to respond to me with care...I will be sure to post after her doc appt on thursday to let all of you know how things went... Have a wonderful evening!

Hi, I hope she is feeling better now, incase she is still showing symoptoms, my daughter developed a persistent cough around 7mths. It was diagnosed with asthma eventually and although she doesnt have a wheeze she had a persistent cough especially at night. I eventually found that Cows milk was one of the culprit although she still always get a bad cough when sick..

HOpe it helps.

Here is a web page:

http://www.totalacidreflux.com/acid-reflux-cough.html

Hope this helps. D.

Did the doctors give you breathing (Nebulizer)
treatments for the baby? My son had RSV (upper respitory infection)when he was a baby. Try the Geisinger Medical Center in Danville Pa

Hope the baby gets better

She could have reflux and is aspirating into her lungs. Does she grunt? Talk to your peds about it....it is very common

Hope the baby gets better

HOpe it helps.

I would see a specialist at CHOP or St. Christopher's. When in doubt, I'd go to a specialist. We're lucky to have great children's hospitals here. Good luck.

I was distressed reading the responses with so many drugs treatments which has so many effects besides the ones you are hoping for. I also take my son to a chiropractor routinely, as does one other repondant. I don't do it for symptoms, but because children are so active and their nerve systems busy developing their bodies. My chiropractor reccommends a nationally known pediatric chiropractor in Media named Dr. Jeannie Ohm. She continues to see patients in addition to speaking and teaching around the country. Think Chiropractic first and drugs second.

I just signed on and scrolled the (other topics) I saw this and had to respond. My then 2 1/2 yr old had a caugh for a good 8 months. She was treated for walking pneumonia, cold, constant ear infections.
BUT finally the dr from childrens ordered a milk test. It was found that she had gastro intestinal reflux disorder. She was put on previcid and in almost 3 wks, the caugh was finally gone.
Is your little one better, or is the caugh still happening?
Take care,

I'm not exactly sure on this, but my son had a really bad cough and it ended up that he had the "whooping cough." It's like an upper respitory infection but worse. Usually with this kind of cough, the child can't lay down flat, especially at night, because it makes it worse and he/she needs to be propped up at night to sleep. Does any of this sound like your daughter's case? If so, you might want to bring that up to the doctor. Also, something else you could do....talk to your Pharmacist about it. Sometimes they know something that might help. Hope this helped, even just a little bit.

Although a cough that lasts that long could be from viral upper respiratory infections, if she was unlucky enough to get a few back to back...it's probably more likely that it's a chronic problem. I think that the most common in this age group would be reflux. All babies have reflux to some degree, because the muscle between their esophagus and stomach isn't fully matured yet, so some of what they drink comes up toward their mouth instead of going forward. Some babies have it to a worse extent than others. These babies may exhibit pain from it (crying, arching their back) or may spit up often (sometimes to the point where it is difficult for them to gain weight) or may develop a chronic cough due to the irritation in their esophagus from the stomach contents. Often the reflux cough is worse at night or with naps because gravity isn't helping things move in the right direction when she's lying down. If the cough is from reflux, it should go away as she gets older and this muscle matures and the cough isn't harmful to her. You could try putting a pillow under her mattress at night to make her mattress be on a slight angle to see if that helps the cough. Or you could try thickening her milk a little with cereal to make it thicker so it will stay down where it belongs - but do this at the guidance of your pediatrician.
The other possibility for the chronic cough would be reactive airway disease (similar to asthma but in a young child). Your pediatrician would likely have heard wheezing at some point if this was the problem and given that her cough started at such a young age this is a less likely culprit.
I hope that you get an answer for this soon! Definitely talk to your pediatrician about these possible causes to see how they feel they pertain to your daughter. Good luck!

1 / 3