5 Month Old Schedule.

My little girl is about 5 1/2 months and I can't seem to get her on a schedule. Every time she seems to be in a pattern for waking, naps, nursing, etc... it gets blown out the window. I was just wondering if you would share some examples of what your typical day is with your 5-6 month old. I just want some reassurance that My little ones schedule is somewhat typical and that her teething is what is throwing her off. She is breastfeed and I just started giving her a little cereal in the evening. However, I usually feed her on demand throughout the day and I am hoping that her frequent waking at night is a result of her teething. My once good sleeper is back to waking up about twice a night, any advice on how to help her sleep through the night would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

Just so you know, not all babies get onto a schedule, mine never did, they slept when they were sleepy and eat when they were hungry. It worked out great for us since we don't have a strict schedule either except for school time with my older one and bed time on those days.
Mi babies used to sleep anywhere without any trouble, like taking a nap in the shopping cart while I was shopping or inside a canoe when we were having fun.
It was great because we enjoyed life and they enjoyed with us without worrying about times and schedules.
I know not everybody is the same way, but just so you know that sonetimes babies do fine without strict schedules:)
Hope you achieve what it works for you!
M. Abadie
www.MyKidsFirst.com

I agree with the poster that said aim for routine rather than strict schedule. There are so many things in life that throw off a schedule. A person should be flexible so they can adapt to whatever comes in their life. The happiest people I know work in jobs that allow them some leeway in their schedules. But what can I say? I believe we are here to accomodate our babies and meet their needs, not the other way around. I think kids just want to be close to their moms at night. But I also agree that routines feel safe to children.

I don't necessarily agree that it's harmful to have a baby on a schedule. I think it provides a sense of security because they know what is coming next, etc.. I've had my little girl on a schedule since she was a few weeks and everyone around us (including my MIL who thought schedules were the worst thing in the world) comments on how good she is at napping, eating, whatever. I'd recommend the book "Baby Wise". It helped me (and my step-mom who has 8 month old twins) get our kids on a schedule and nap pattern. You don't have to follow it exactly but it will be very, very helpful. They say their plan works for 97% of families who try it and the other 3% have babies with special needs or whatever. Just give it a read. I think you'd find it to be VERY helpful...especially if getting her on a schedule is what you're wanting in the end.

A schedule is a bit restrictive, but a routine would be great, and it sounds like that is what you are after. It is true that if they get enough to eat in the day, they will not wake at night. It is also true that it can be "normal" for kids to wake once or twice a night until age 3, IF the parents encourage it by co-sleeping, going in whenever the kid wakes, and feeding at night.

My son has slept 12 hours since 5 months. One of the best ways I accomplished this was using the "dream feed" to eliminate waking at night for a feed. Basically, you get them on a feeding routine of about every four hours (and it is best if the routine goes wake, feed, play, sleep so they don't get used to feeding to sleep--that is a hard habit to break and makes it difficult to get them to sleep a full twelve hours at night), starting at 7a. Put him to bed at 7p. Around 11p, go in and pick him up and feed him while he is asleep. Put him back down with no burp (they swallow much less air while asleep). DO NOT CHANGE HIS DIAPER AT NIGHT. THERE IS NO REASON, and it just wakes them up more. Visit www.babywhisperer.com for lots more tips, and read Twelve Hours in Twelve Weeks. Very helpful approaches to sleep training and developing routines. Good luck!

I have had all my kids on a schedule from the minute we got home from the hospital. All of them have been every 3-4 hours between eating times. So here has been ours from the minute we got home (my youngest is 1 year old)

7:30 Am (get up, get dresses, diaper change)
7:30 - 8:00 am breakfast
8:00 am - 9:30 morning play time and morning bottle
9:30 am - 10:30 am morning nap
10:30 am - 11:30 play time before lunch
11:30 am - 12:00 lunch time
12:00 noon - 1:oo pm play time and afternoon bottle
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm afternoon nap
3:00 pm wake from nap, get a diaper change
3:30 pm afternoon snack
This is our schedule and routine during the day

We eat dinner around 6:00 pm - 6:30 pm every night.
7:00 pm a bath
8:00 pm a bottle
9:00 pm another snack (we are in a growth spurt right now)
She goes to bed after her snack and I don't hear from her until 7:00 am or I wake her up so we stay on schedule everyday.
My 2 youngest kids were eating cereal by the time they were 3 months old. The now 3 yr old was eating 8 ounce bottles every 3 hours. My youngest was eating 8 ounces every 4 hours.

In my opinion if you increase her food intake you will see her sleep through the night. To start off with you could increas her cereal to twice a day (once in the morning and once in the evening) and the gradually add more to that. And stop feeding on demand that won't help you that only hinders you. You should be able to get her to go atleast 3 hours and start stretching her out to 4. As you keep going keep increasing the amount of food she eats (solid food). Increasing her food will help her cut those teeth and help her sleep thru the night. Hope this helps you, W.

Hey there S.,

I think that it is almost impossible to have a 5 1/2 month baby on a schedule. I just slept when my daughter slept and tried to eat when she ate. That went on for us for almost a year before she created a solid schedule for herself. :)

Good luck to you!

www.EnhanceYourWayOfLife.com

Hope you achieve what it works for you!
M. Abadie
www.MyKidsFirst.com

My son has slept through the night since he was 8 wks. About the time he turned months he stopped sleeping through the night. He went through a couple of illnesses and he was teething and he was getting ready to hit another couple of milestones. I just kept sticking with our schedule and eventually he went right back to his normal sleep pattern. Your daughter might be gearing up for a growth spurt and she might be waking up because she's hungrier due to the spurt. Good luck. Eventually it'll get better

My son is 5.5 months. A few months ago, he had several weeks where he slept through the night and then he started waking again. I realized that me going in his room when he woke up was just perpetuating the situation, so I started to let him cry it out in the middle of the night. I did this since I knew he could sleep through as he had done it numerous times. It took 2 or 3 nights, but now he sleeps from about 7:30 PM to about 6:30 AM. He would only cry for like 10 minutes.

He is also exclusively breastfed and our day works like this: He gets up anywhere between 5:30 and 6:30. I feed him and he and I go back to sleep until about 7:30 when the rest of the house wakes up. He then naps about 9:00 AM until about 11:00 and I feed him then. Then our day goes on like that where he is up for about an hour and a half to two hours and then he goes down for an hour to two hour nap until 7:30 when I put him to bed for good.

I hope this helps.

1 / 3