5 Month Old Not Pushing up While on Tummy

My 5 month old son doesn't push up on his arms. He's been rolling over from his back to his tummy for over a month now, but just shows no intrest in pushing up. This weekend she started trying to get his knees up underneath himself in what I'm assuming is him trying to lay the foundation to crawl. When he does turn over whether it be on the floor or in his crib at night, he gets fussy and aggrivated. Is this normal and what do I need to do, if anything, to get him to push up? Do I think that he needs to be doing this already and shouldn't? He holds his head up when he's on his belly great, he just has no intrest in pushing up on his arms.

Don't worry... or if you are worried... talk to the Pediatrician ... all children develop differently at different rates... As long as he's getting tummy time and attempting movements he should be ok... - my daughter did the same thing until she was 7 months and then I couldn't stop her from crawling everywhere... babies will move when they are ready.

J. -

What he is doing sounds perfectly normal to me. My son is 5 months also (2/26) and he gets aggravated too when on his tummy. He is like your son in that he lifts his head up nicely- but then his neck gets tired after a while, drops down and he gets mad. The same was true of my other two kids as well (and they both crawled and walked early- so I would not worry yet.) I think they just do not have great arm strength yet- lifting up their bodies with their arms/hands is more like at 6 months.

Well, I would not worry too much. If his pedi hasnt said anything about being concerned with this then dont worry. My son did not meet any of those milestones either. Frankly I dont pay attention to those milestones, every child is different. My son was born at 31 weeks. So right now his corrected age is almost 9 months. But he is doing what a 10 month almost 11 month old does. But he didnt start rolling over until he was about 8 months old and pushing up on his belly shortly after. He is currently mastering crawling and is pretty good at it. so like I said if his pedi isnt worried I wouldnt be either.

I don't think you should be worrying about this milestone yet. I refuse to compare my son to other kids because I think they develop in their own time. My son didn't crawl until he was 10 months old, and then started walking right after his first birthday. His is two now and is very verbal and active and in most ways average or above average in his pursuits. I agree with the mom who stated that sometimes they put off perfecting one skill to work on another. I have seen that many times with my son, but he always returns to the skill he postponed. I don't ever want him to feel that what he does is not good enough and I think that those tendencies often start in early childhood with pressure to excel or be like another child. We tend to notice only the deficiencies in our children when we focus on other kids, but when you factor in the ways your child excels, they will usually even out. All children have a process and they need to have some room to develop and fine tune that process of learning in their own way.

I probably wouldn't worry too much. Not all babies meet their milestones. Mine did the army crawl for a long time, he even started pulling himself up. I thought he would never sit, but he was a very active child, even more so as a toddler. I guess he had not reason to sit still. He never had any restrictions,playpen, gates (cages, so to speak), so he was free to explore everything. I think that has made him a smarter baby. I see a lot of babies that are just lumps on a log and wonder if they had a lot of restrictions and they are just not used to having the freedom of mobility. Crawling is also not a major milestone, either.

Hi J. B, My niece did the same thing it just took her a litle while to get it. If you have anny doubts you should coontact your pediatricion and ask about your childs mildstones. Also you can contact the ECI program in your area and they will come see your child at home just to make shure hes o.k.
Well let us know how everything goes and take care.

When I had Riley we had a visiting nurse come to our home on a monthly basis that evalutated the milestones that she was or was not reaching. She was very quick to point out that even though Riley was lagging behind in some things like motor skills, she seems to be going through leaps and bounds verbally, and that what most often happens is that one day baby will "turn off" the skill that they are more ahead on and start performing the other tasks. Riley still is quite verbal for a one year old, having many words and learning to communicate very well, where she crawled late, is cruising, but has made no effort to take her first step. She does everything on the end of the time frame. If you are really concerned there is no reason that you can't have an appointment with your pediatrician (not a family doc) and discuss this or wait until the 6 month mark and do it a the well baby exam. Looking through my paperwork the nurse provided it said that babies generally don't start pushing up until at least 4 months, most by 5 months, and many not until 6 months. Hope this helps

He's fine. My daughter never figured out crawling, but she walked at 10 months. Every kid is different. Rolling over and over and over takes a lot of time and energy on your little guy's part. Maybe he's just too concerned with that right now to bother pushing up. He doesn't know he's supposed to be doing that, he's just following his own interests. You don't need to do anything but enjoy watching him. Before you know it, he'll be driving. :)

J. -

1 / 3