5 Month Old Loosing Hair

My 5 month old baby boy was born with a head full of beautiful hair. For the longest people automatically assumed his was a baby girl because of his thick silky hair. This past week I noticed that his hair has thinned tremendously. I also noticed that his hair is everywhere. When we woke up this morning, he had hair all over him. When I wash his hair, it comes out in my hands. Its so thin I can see his scalp now. This is not happening in just one spot, but all over his head. I'm not sure if its been thinning over time, or if this just started happening this week. I've only noticed the hair on everything (his clothes, face, bottles, my hands) this week, but I'm not sure if that's because I saw how thin has gotten and now I'm paying more attention?? I've been told that it can be malnutrition. I've also been told that babies often loose their hair over time but not all at once like it seems to be. Has anyone had this problem? Oh, I use Johnson's baby shampoo in his hair. I noticed about 6 weeks ago that his hair was getting really dry. What else can I do?

I woul contact his dr that does not sound right... to come out in clumps like that... I think its just supposed to come out gradually...

HTH
A. J

I D.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. My daughter around 5mths lost most of her baby hair and my sister's baby son that was born a month later did the same thing. I ask my mother and other mothers and the ALL said the same thing around 4-6 mths they start losing there hair and new hair replaces it very quickly.

I don't think its a nutional thing remember the baby formalla and in my case the breast milk has all the nution that a baby needs.

Its fairly common for babies born with lots of hair to lose that first growth and then new hair grows out over time. My son did it too. He was 4 weeks early and had hair all over even his back! He lost it and had thin fuzz for a long time. Then his hair finally grew in.

I think it's normal for them to lose some of their hair. I rememeber when my son's would fall out as I touched it! If you are concerned about nutrition, I give my son a powdered infant multivitamin which contains 23 essential vitamins and miverals. It can mix into juice, water and food--I put it into his breakfast. If you want to check it out, go to www.shaklee.net/recipeforhealth and type 20073 in the search bar at the top right. It's called Vita-Lea Infant Mix.

I D.

The same thing happened with all three of my boys at about five months of age. They all had dark, beautiful silky hair and, after it all fell out, it grew back in blonde. I know it seems weird and a little scarey, but it is completely normal.

At his well check next month, you can mention it to the doc just to be safe (just to check his vitamin levels) but, from my own experience, I'd say it sounds just like what happened with my boys.

PS....everyone always thought my boys were girls too because of their beautiful hair. I think all babies that are going to lose their baby hair lose it rapidly....it's just more noticeable when it is thick, dark hair.

Baby's do go through a losing hair stage..but I thought it was much earlier than 5 months. My son had a wonderful hair when he was born..brown with blonde tips.no kidding, he looked like someone had frosted his hair!

Well, at about a month I think (he is 8 yrs old now), I was washing his scalp for the smallest amount of cradle cap and the washcloth come away with a lot of hair on it..like sticky paper results. I freaked, natuarally, but it is normal. He now has blonde hair. His dark brown hair just fell out to change color. He lost it all but right at his neck..looked like a rat tail and mom asked me not to put him in an orange outfit :0)

If you are worried, call the clinic. New moms call all the time so it should be no big deal for them to address your concerns.

Congratulations on your blessing!

It definitely sounds like a nutrient deficiency. I remember a friend of mine told a story about her teenager that had a bald smooth place on his leg and being a basketball player it bothered him. Not being able to afford a dermatologist at the time she read home remedies and found it was a vitamin deficiency. I am thinking it was vitamin A - don't remember for sure. She is out of town, but if you are interested, I will find out when I can for you. It did fix her son's problem forever.

Let me say up front that I am in independent distributor for the #1 nutrition and supplement company in the US, Shaklee. I am not trying to sell you anything, just want to give you some facts. Although shampoos say they are safe, my daughter did some research on shampoos and in the process found out about the ingredients that are in most shampoos. I would be very careful and make sure that what you use is healthy. Shaklee has an excellent shampoo with no chemicals or toxins in it. I am not trying to push Shaklee, just an FYI. I would encourage you to research the ingredients in whatever you use and choose one with ingredients that are safe. Once I found out what was in my brand, I started looking around. Naturally I chose Shaklee, but there are others out there, you just have to look. Please let me know if you would like some more information and whatever you decide or find out, let me know how your son's problem is resolved. Best of luck with the little one. I know what a joy children are. I have 3 grown children and 4 grandchildren aged 8, 6, 3 years and 2 months. Unfortunately they are in Alaska and I am in Texas. Oh, well. It makes life interesting. B. S

My friend had the same thing happen to her son and when she called the pediatrician they had her bring him in due to a disorder called alopecia or something like that. He eventually lost the hair on his eyebrows too. Call your dr.

Both of my boys (now 7 and 12) had lots of hair at birth and then lost it and then it grew back in lighter but still as thick. I did notice a lot on the sheets when they woke up. I think it is normal, but the one thing I have learned for sure is to trust my mommy gut. If you think it might be a problem, call the doc just to make sure.
Take care :)

1 / 3