5 Month Old Getting Too Big for Her Bath Tub Laying Down. Other Alternatives?

Hi everyone,
I have a 5 month old daughter who we bathe in the tub using her little plasitc Safety 1st bath tub. We lay her down using the little cot that came with it. Once in, she usually pushes her self all the way to the end of her little tub until the cot can't go any further. Her little head is practically pushed off the cot and just about touching the end of her little tub. We are starting to notice that she gets annoyed by this. When we wash her back, we usually sit her up and as soon as we do that, she starts splashing the water and holding on to the end of the tub and then starts to cry when we lay her back down. So to me, it seems that we should start giving her her bath while she is sitting up. One of us would obviously have to hold her the whole time in the tub while the other washes. Are there any products out there that any of you have used that would help in this situation? I've heard of a bath seat/chair, but I'm not sure if she needs to be able to sit up unassissted or not.

Thanks everyone! We decided to go ahead and get an inflatable tub since she was just starting to sit up on her own. She's been using it for a month now and is doing great with it. Still a little wobbly, but she gets it.

I have always just brought baby into the tub with me. I would just sit baby on my lap with my legs supporting her and wash her. It seemed the easiest solution for us.

Nope, She meeds to be put in the bathtub without any cots, or anything like that, and just put her in the water, and wash her up and get her out. I have 3 kids, and mine stopped using those things at like 4 months. Just put a little bit of water and the bottom of the tub and let her have at it.. She will have fun..

Thanks J.

Hello :) I used a bath chair that had suction cups on the bottom so it wouldn't move around. My girls were fine in it because it is sort of like a swing seat, and there is some support for the baby's back. I used that until they were able to sit up unassisted. Hope that helps!

When my son was that age we got a little inflatable tub that fits inside the bath tub. My son loved it. He sat up in it loved playing in the water. I could lean his head on the back of the tub to wash him. We used it until he was ready for the big tub- about 1 yrs old.

The first thing I would do is take out the sling. My safetly first tub was still shaped for my babies to lay in comfort and removing the sling made some more space and bought us some time. Many people then let the baby sit up in the baby tub, once they are able to do that. The bath seat is great, but they do need to be strong enough to sit up on thier own in something like a bumpo seat or on the floor. I used the seat while my twins were strong enough to sit up on their own, but tended to just flop over whenever they wanted to reach something. The seat provides the stability and keeps the baby sitting up. Of course the bath seats were listed on the top 10 worst safety products of Parents magazine, but thier reasoning was that it gives parents a false sense of security that they don't need to watch thier children not because the product doesn't work wonderfully.

Once my daughter was too big to lay down, I removed the sling part & would sit her in the baby tub & hold her with one hand & wash her with the other. My husband works nights & that's when she had her baths so I never had anyone help me. She did really well sitting up & pretty soon didn't even need me to hold her.

When my boys were that age (usually started around 4 months), I just bathed them in the big tub by themselves with no bath sitter (which scares me) or baby bath tub. I'd get the temp right, turn the water off to allow it to drain (so all of the cold water would be gone), then start it up again and lay the boys in it. I'd let the water come up to the point where it barely touched their ears. I'd wash the fronts first, then sit them up (or roll them onto their tummy if they were strong enough to hold their head up.) They both LOVED it! I now have 2 fish who are scary good at swimming and not at all afraid of the water. The worst was how slippery they'd be after, but that's the case regardless.

We used the Primo EuroBath until our kids were quite big. There are two sides - one for 0-6 months for babies who still lay down and 6-24 months for sitting up. http://www.amazon.com/PRIMO-EUROBATH-PRI-340-340W-PEARL-W...
We would put that tub inside the regular bathtub - that way if water splashed out, it was not big deal. It also got our kids used to the big tub when it was time to make that transition. The only drawback is that it takes up a lot of space. We just used to store it upside down in the big tub and take it out when we wanted to use the shower. BTW, I hated the bath ring we had and only used it once.
-C.

Thanks J.

There is a "bath tub ring" which is a plastic seat with suction cups on the bottom that stick to the tub. The baby sits in it almost like a high chair or something...it has spots for her feet to go through and a support for her back and stomach and something between her legs so she can't slip down. I used it for all 3 of my kids with much success.

1 / 3