5 Month Old Eating Schedule

My 5 month old son is eating rice cereal, oatmeal, some vegetable and fruit. I think daycare providers are over feeding him because he is spitting up more when he is there. I send three 7 oz bottle and one 4 oz bottle to make sure my son has enough. Normally, all the bottles are sent home empty. I want to put him on a new schedule so daycare does not over feed him. Can someone let me know how this schedule sounds?

7:00am – 7 oz bottle
10:00am – cereal and 7 oz bottle
1:30pm – veg/fruit and 7 oz bottle
(4 oz bottle if needed before I arrive at 5:15 to pick him up)
5:30 or 6:00pm cereal w/fruit or veg and 7 oz bottle
9:30 or 10:00pm 7 oz bottle

I am a mother of 4 and I breastfeed my 5 month old only and to me it sounds like a lot of food for such a little guy. Especially if he is spitting up. Most pediatricians say wait until 6 months now to start solids. Could you possibly do just the cereal in the morning or at night and only a jar of food at noon and milk the rest of the time??

My daughter is 4 1/2 mons. and i was just going to post this exact same message so thanks! Let me know what works..our routine is as follows and it seems to be working..but i'm like you just not quite sure if she's getting enough?

7am-8oz.
10:30am-7oz.
1:30pm-cerealw/fruit and 4 oz.
4:30pm- 7 oz.
7:30pm- cereal w/fruit and 4 oz. bottle
and that's the last one!

It is important to remember that every baby is different. My son eats a ton and I feel like I am overfeeding but his dr said he would be spitting it all up if he was overfed. I started him on solids at 3 1/2 mos and he now eats anywhere up to 6 jars of 2nd stage foods a day and still eats at least 24-30 oz of formula a day as well. He stops eating when he is full and very seldom spits it up.

I have to admit that I think feeding has been the hardest thing about raising my baby!! :) I never know if she is overeating, undereating, ect. Many people say that babies will not eat if they are not hungry. My baby has always eaten and would eat until she threw up on occasion. She is now 7 months old and still does this. This was our schedule at 5 months. (I found an eating guide in a Parenting magazine.)
8:00 - 6 oz.
9:30 - cereal
11:30 - 6 oz.
3:30 - 6 oz.
7:00 - 6 oz.
9:00 - 6 oz.

It would vary a little depending on her growth spurts and when she woke up, but it was usually 6 oz. 4-5 times a day with cereal in the morning. I would also check with your pediatrician when you go at 6 months. If your little one's weight and height are doing good, then I wouldn't worry about it! Good luck! I know I stress way too much about eating! :)

Instead of sending the 4oz. bottle of formula/milk, why not just let them use water instead to hold him over until you get there. From what you said, you must not live far away from work and the daycare, so just let them give him water. You can do the milk when you get home.

Hi R. - I found that when I started feeding my son solid foods that I decreased the amount of milk I gave him. I think he will need the afternoon bottle you send (4oz) but maybe decrease the size of the bottles throughout the day and give him a bit more in the afternoon. My son is 9months old now and prefers to eat smaller volume bottles with meals and a larger bottle in the afternoon (3-4pm) and before bed (8-9pm).

At his age I think I remember feeding my son a bottle first then one jar of #1 foods or 1/2 jar #2 foods 2 times per day. When he seemed like he wanted more milk then I increased the amount of baby food and added in lunch.

Hope this helps and is not too confusing.

Sounds like you are in a good routine. Some kids do spit up a lot or when they adjust to new foods. I know our daughter was quite a good eater and ate about every 3-4 hours at this age. Since your son is already eating some solids, you may consider a couple things. If it were me I'd probably move the 5:30 feeding time to more like 4:30 and then do a dinner around 6 or 6:30 with solids. I'd then offer a bottle for bedtime and move bedtime up earlier. I'm big into a good amount of sleep and would try to get him down earlier. dropping the one bottle may also help him continue his transition to solids.

You can design any schedule you want to design. Daycare and Childcare Providers are not necessarily going to do what you want done, when you want it done.
Are you sure the food is being refrigerated properly? Are you sure it is being heated properly? These can also add to the problem. He may be spitting up more for them than he does for you because of the atmosphere. To much noise, to many destractions, and his ability to stay calm and not feel rushed there as opposed to eatting at home with undivided attention.
I don't disagree with your feeding schedule, just remember they may or may not follow it.
P. R

1 / 3