5 Days Late but Negative Pregnancy test...what Could Be Going On?

My period is over 5 days late and I've taken two home pregnancy tests...both negative. I have never missed a period in my life (other then being pregnant) so this is alarming. And for my first pregnancy I had a positive test before even missing a period. In addition we are trying for baby #2 so if it is just a simple missed period I have no idea when I would ovulate this month. Or will I even do so? So confusing. Hoping someone might have had a similar experience and be able to provide some feedback!?!?!?

I'm overwhelmed by the support and advice on this site. Wonderful! So today, I got my period-over a week late. Even though I would love to be pregnant there is a bit of relief knowing nothing is majorly wrong. I imagine holiday stress must have thrown off my cycle which has never happened to me before. Never say never I suppose : ) Thanks again for all of your support.

Get a blood test, with my secnd pregnacy the home test came back negative twice- however after going in for blood work I found out I was pregnant (only about 3 weeks pregnant).

I am also never late and I was about 12 days late and was still getting neg test results. zi tested I think like twice a week. it wasn't until I was close to 3 weeks late that I finally got a possative test result. My twin girls are now 3 months old.
GL!

I always had periods on time before I had a my first baby a year ago. A couple months ago I went 40 days before getting a period. I took pregnancy test and it was negative. Just wait. It will come. It makes it hard to track cycles because it isn't regular. So keep a calendar so you know.

Good Morning J.!

I have 3 boys and a girl. With all the boys, the day I missed my period I tested positive for being pregnant. With my daughter, I was late for over 4 weeks before it came up positive for being pregnant. That is just what happened in my case.
Just remember, the reproductive system of a woman is a VERY complicated thing. your body is potentially creating a brand new life, and there are millions of chemical reactions and changes that could be happening every minute. Sometimes I think we might know to much and know things to soon.
Just try to go about your day to day routine (I know, easier said than done :-) continue to eat right and take your vitamins and before long you'll know one way or the other.

I pray everything works out the best for you!
Peace,

The same thing happened to me this summer. I missed a period, kept taking home pregnancy tests and they were negative. 3-4 weeks after my missed period, I went to my primary care physician for a urine test and it turned out to be negative as well. I had my period the following month - missing one period. I don't know the cause for this - it may have been hormonal, stress or a "missed pregnancy".

Best of luck. I know how frustrating it can be to not know whether you are pregnant or not.

You are probably pregnant -- particularly if, when you stop and wonder about it without thinking too much, you *feel* pregnant. Trust your body...

What is happening (with the tests) is that they're looking for hCg -- human choloronic gonoditropin, however that's spelled -- and not finding *enough* to trigger the chemical response in the tester. It doesn't mean you don't have any, it just means it's not enough (yet) to be picked up by the test. There are a number of ways you can stop wasting money on tests and find out for sure, the first being to wait at least another week before you try again -- 2 would be better. The later in pregnancy you are, the more hCg your body excretes, and the more likely the test will be accurate.

Another way to ensure you're testing as accurately as possible is to limit fluids after supper, and take the sample for testing from the first morning pee -- and wait longer than usual before you 'go' in the morning, but before you drink any fluids at all. The idea is that the more concentrated your urine, the more accurate the test will be.

In the meanwhile, it's a good idea to relax intentionally... stress hormones don't aid fertility *or* the early growth of a baby.

If you think you're pregnant, you probably are.

When I went off of birth control this past summer, in anticipation of trying for baby #2, I had very irregular periods. I even skipped one full month! I was freaked out since when I went off of BC before baby #1, I was totally regular in my cycles. I was also going through an incredibly stressful time at work during this summer and it turns out that was the culprit. I know it's easier said than done but you need to relax yourself and try to relieve stress. As for ovulation, I had the same worries when my period was irregular so I used the at home test kits and they worked like a charm (I'm now expecting baby #2). I ended up ovulating a little later in my cycle than what the "books" say. Best of luck!

I had an experience like that, many years ago. I was like a clock as far as my cycles went...never late unless pregnant. So, I was late, took a test 3 weeks in a row...negative and still late. THEN I had a very heavy, clotty, very crampy period. My yearly check up was about a week after that. I spoke with my doctor and he said I was probably pregnant but there was something wrong with the pregnancy and the "pregnant" hormones weren't showing up in the test. (Way back then, there were no home tests, only at the lab) He called it a probable spontaneous abortion, ie: miscarriage. After my check up he said everything was "clean" and couldn't really say for sure what had happened, but that I was good to go to try again. No D & C. I was pregnant in 3 months after that.
On the other hand, this could be nothing like that and maybe for some reason...stress, more exercise or just that wonderful aging thing could be causing it. I would give it another week or so. If no period, try another test and call your doctor. All the best to you!

My tests came back negative with the last baby, as well. That is, until I emptied the trash and noticed the test I had taken in the AM had turned positive. I know 'they' say not to read any result after a certain amount of time...but that odd result turned out to be a bouncing baby boy! Each pregnancy is different, so you may just have a different level of the hormone in your urine this time. If you are regular, and have no reason to suspect fibroids, etc., then you are probably pregnant. Either way, time will tell! (I know, I hated that answer too!)

~L.

With both my pregnancies, I missed a period and tested negative on an EPT, EVEN ONE AT THE DOCTOR'S OFFICE WHEN I WAS CARRYING TWINS.

A blood test revealed the pregnancy.

Calm down, allow yourself a couple more days to wait this out. ;) You're probably pregnant.

It may seem silly, but check your test again. I had that with my second pregnancy. I did 2 or 3 tests all came back negative, but sometimes I read that a negative will eventually change to a positive over time. Even up to a couple of days later. It's surprising, but it's true. I did another test a day or so later, and even went back to the old ones after I'd read this info on the instruction booklet with the tests, and sure enough they ended up all positive. It just has to do with the amount of the pregnancy hormone in your stream at the time you take the test. Good luck, and if it's negative, keep trying. :)

1 / 3